GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volt goes through normal initialization. Green car light shows ready. Shift to drive or reverse, no power.

Dash instructs me to "open and close the driver window, then put in Park, then try to drive". Repeated this 4 times and car drove OK. Same thing happened 2 weeks later. Two dealer service experts could find no codes and had never heard of this sequence of instructions. Expert 2 told me to wait until it happens again and then have the car towed wheels up to their shop. So, we will see. I hope it fails again soon because when it happens to my wife, she freaks out. Says the car is unreliable and wants to get rid of it (we love everything else about the car).

Colorado has a lemon law so I will use that if need be. But, I would prefer that a Chevy engineer figure this out.

Also contributing to my paranoia is the fact that one evening, I shut everything down COMPLETELY, locked the doors and plugged it in for an overnight charge. Came out in the morning and everything was dead. Had a tow truck jump the battery and drove it to a dealer. Battery was completely discharged. Upon charging, battery tested just fine. No codes. Problem has not recurred. Noticed a long string of posts on the forum about this battery problem. None of the experts could explain why this is occurring to so many owners, except that either something was left on and/or the shifter was not fully in Park. These explanations do not apply to me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's seems that GEN 2's have many more problems then Gen 1's. I have friends who are interested in a new Volt. I am not sure I would recommend a Gen 2. I know 2017 is year 2 of the new design. Maybe the 2018 has most of these issues worked out.

I love my Volt, when it runs it's course I would like to get another- I'm sure my Gen 1 will be my last Volt unless I can get used to the "Honda Civic" styling of the Gen 2. With no Gen 3 coming, I hope the Voltec system is put into something more appealing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2017 Premiere and I don't know what the issue is with the poster's car (for which I have much sympathy), but the gen 2 volt is a fabulous car. I have said this in other posts, but I am coming from a Mazdaspeed3 and our existing Volvo V50 (which has been a great car). It puts a smile on my face and the I am just happy to be in it and driving around in it.

If everything was dead, I assume there was a 12V battery issue? There is no way to light up the HV pack without a low voltage source. I assume your HV pack wasn't "dead' per se, else it would really be dead.

Anyway, I do hope it all works out, but I wish to register my extreme happiness (so far) as a 2017 owner.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's seems that GEN 2's have many more problems then Gen 1's. I have friends who are interested in a new Volt. I am not sure I would recommend a Gen 2. I know 2017 is year 2 of the new design. Maybe the 2018 has most of these issues worked out.

I love my Volt, when it runs it's course I would like to get another- I'm sure my Gen 1 will be my last Volt unless I can get used to the "Honda Civic" styling of the Gen 2. With no Gen 3 coming, I hope the Voltec system is put into something more appealing.
If I am not mistaken, the 2017s are actually the same vehicles as 2016 but were the models that were released nationwide, after the 2016s were released only in Calif.

I would, and have, recommended these to all my friends.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Volt goes through normal initialization. Green car light shows ready. Shift to drive or reverse, no power.

Dash instructs me to "open and close the driver window, then put in Park, then try to drive". Repeated this 4 times and car drove OK. Same thing happened 2 weeks later. Two dealer service experts could find no codes and had never heard of this sequence of instructions. Expert 2 told me to wait until it happens again and then have the car towed wheels up to their shop. So, we will see. I hope it fails again soon because when it happens to my wife, she freaks out. Says the car is unreliable and wants to get rid of it (we love everything else about the car).

Colorado has a lemon law so I will use that if need be. But, I would prefer that a Chevy engineer figure this out.

Also contributing to my paranoia is the fact that one evening, I shut everything down COMPLETELY, locked the doors and plugged it in for an overnight charge. Came out in the morning and everything was dead. Had a tow truck jump the battery and drove it to a dealer. Battery was completely discharged. Upon charging, battery tested just fine. No codes. Problem has not recurred. Noticed a long string of posts on the forum about this battery problem. None of the experts could explain why this is occurring to so many owners, except that either something was left on and/or the shifter was not fully in Park. These explanations do not apply to me.
This message can appear if you have disconnected the 12 volt battery...the fact that you say the 12 volt battery appeared to be dead...this would appear to the car as if you pulled the battery...You need to determine what the parasitic drain on your 12 volt battery is or if it is failing...:(

You need to apply an external battery charger on your 12 volt battery, as well as have IT tested for premature failure...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts