GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had to bring my 2017 Volt Premier to the dealer for repair. Check engine light appeared this A.M. after preconditioning while plugged in at a local public charging station. Contacted Onstar twice, once when the check engine light first appeared and again after I drove the Volt home and turned off the car for 15 minutes. When the check engine light reappeared I again contact OnStar. OnStar technical support was unable to receive any remote diagnostics from my Volt. I emptied out inside of the Volt because sometimes these repairs can take days to resolve and I needed my car stuff. My dealer has had the Volt for most of the day, the service adviser called me late this afternoon to let me know that they determined that my Volt has a faulty battery heater core. The part has been ordered, should arrive Monday. I should get my Volt back on Tuesday. I was provided with a 2018? Volt Premier with ACC, Nav as a loaner car. Things could be worse. I will post an update with information on the specific part that was replaced when my Volt has been repaired.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Had to bring my 2017 Volt Premier to the dealer for repair. Check engine light appeared this A.M. after preconditioning while plugged in at a local public charging station. Contacted Onstar twice, once when the check engine light first appeared and again after I drove the Volt home and turned off the car for 15 minutes. When the check engine light reappeared I again contact OnStar. OnStar technical support was unable to receive any remote diagnostics from my Volt. I emptied out inside of the Volt because sometimes these repairs can take days to resolve and I needed my car stuff. My dealer has had the Volt for most of the day, the service adviser called me late this afternoon to let me know that they determined that my Volt has a faulty battery heater core. The part has been ordered, should arrive Monday. I should get my Volt back on Tuesday. I was provided with a 2018? Volt Premier with ACC, Nav as a loaner car. Things could be worse. I will post an update with information on the specific part that was replaced when my Volt has been repaired.
A Volt loaner?! Man, you're lucky! I always got a near-base Malibu that got 20 MPG.

Did you notice any loss in cabin heating? I'd think a faulty heater core would have prevailed that way before a DTC was set, but if it went out all of a sudden during preconditioning, then I'd think not.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Volt loaner?! Man, you're lucky! I always got a near-base Malibu that got 20 MPG.

Did you notice any loss in cabin heating? I'd think a faulty heater core would have prevailed that way before a DTC was set, but if it went out all of a sudden during preconditioning, then I'd think not.
Both times I have had to leave my Volt with the dealer for a warranty repair they provided a Volt as a loaner vehicle. Actually I had not been using the cabin heater very much as it has been quite warm in the DC area until this past week. I preconditioned my Volt, most recently twice just this morning, while plugged in at my house and again at a nearby public charging station. Both times the cabin was warm when I went to start the car. From what the service representative told me the problem is with the battery heater core (not the cabin electric heater core.)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Both times I have had to leave my Volt with the dealer for a warranty repair they provided a Volt as a loaner vehicle. Actually I had not been using the cabin heater very much as it has been quite warm in the DC area until this past week. I preconditioned my Volt, most recently twice just this morning, while plugged in at my house and again at a nearby public charging station. Both times the cabin was warm when I went to start the car. From what the service representative told me the problem is with the battery heater core (not the cabin electric heater core.)
Huh...I always thought it was the same one. Guess I learned something :p

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My 2018 Volt Premier loaner drives remarkably like my 2017 Volt. Once I adjusted the tire pressure, driver information display, settings and added my own tunes via Bluetooth I can hardly tell that I am not driving my own vehicle. The steering wheel appears to be wrapped in vinyl not leather. I finally understand what the blank display between the engine coolant temperature and the follow distance is for on the DIC. On the loaner vehicle this displays the current speed limit since this Volt is equipped with Navigation.

I am a bit concerned that if my Chevrolet dealer has a fully optioned 2018 Volt Premier with 250 miles on the odometer as a loaner vehicle, not just the Volt LT, that the Volt is not selling well right now. This does not bode well for the future of the Volt in the Chevrolet product line.

Just finished driving the 2018 Volt loaner at night. The backup camera still has terrible glare. I was kind of hoping the backup camera would be updated/improved in the 2018 Volt.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2017 Volt was repaired under warranty. The following diagnostic codes were found: P0AC4, P1AF0, P1AF4, P1AF6, P1E22.

The dealer's service department replaced heater, coolant heater. Cleared codes and test drove 11 miles. Vehicle checked out ok.

Parts replaced FP-Number:
22816851 Heater 8.845 Y Warranty
12378390 Coolant 8.800 N Warranty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts