Votes: 7 12.5%
  • No problems

Votes: 15 26.8%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello just doing a poll to see how many 2017 Volt owners on this forum have had problems that some say are very common to 2017 models. From what I've read two of the most common problems are the Shift to Park and BECM problems. This is a very unscientific poll and I'm sure there are other common problems that I am not aware of. Just doing it to see the results and also just for fun lol
FYI I'm also doing this poll over on r/volt. It is the same except I added another option for people who may have had both BECM and shift to park problems for the poll here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
EGR... We should all write to GM and complain... I have been a month without being able to drive beyond the EV range. No estimated time for a replacement part... Could be months. I called GM head office yesterday, and made a strong complaint. I will keep you posted. They will call me either today or tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2017 needed the BECM replaced. No problems otherwise. My 2016 is having the shift to park issue, but the '17 is good so far.

·
Registered
39 Posts
EGR low circuit A . It took San Diego dealer 2 weeks to get the part. I am now scheduled for replacement. STP harness fix. Seems to work at 2 months and counting. I hope the EGR is a version 2 or something improved.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have gotten the Shift to Park message intermittently but it always cleared if I turned the car back on and then off. It hasn't happened in a few weeks though.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I've had the BCM replaced, but not the BECM. The Shift to Park required replacing the shifter and not just the ribbon cable.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had the Shift to Park issue, they replaced the entire shifter and it’s been fine since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
EGR... We should all write to GM and complain... I have been a month without being able to drive beyond the EV range. No estimated time for a replacement part... Could be months. I called GM head office yesterday, and made a strong complaint. I will keep you posted. They will call me either today or tomorrow.

YES! EGR!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
YES! EGR!!
Well GM HQ are going to follow up with me next week. Apparently they have no timeline whatsoever... This is pretty alarming I must say. Everyone on this forum needs to call GM and bring light to this. The car is 4 years old at the latest and parts already done? Not good. I know they will do right, but my car is EV only right now and it's been a month. How much longer should I have to wait?

·
Registered
41 Posts
38,000 now on my 2017 made in July 2016. No STP issues. BECM replaced at 29,000. It took about a week, but and dealer provided a free loaner. Can I assume that I will not have an issue with this again? If I have made it this far without STP, am I likely clear on that?

The only other thing was the antenna gave me issues early on with SiriusXM, then went away, then returned. SirusXM sent me a filter and said that this was a known issue with some GM cars. I did not help so had the shark fin replaced and has been fine since.

·
Registered
38 Posts
2017 with 50K miles. Got shift to park error about a year ago, dealer replaced the entire shifter under warranty. No problem since. I bought the car used in March 2019 so not sure if previous owner had any issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
38,000 now on my 2017 made in July 2016. No STP issues. BECM replaced at 29,000. It took about a week, but and dealer provided a free loaner. Can I assume that I will not have an issue with this again? If I have made it this far without STP, am I likely clear on that?

The only other thing was the antenna gave me issues early on with SiriusXM, then went away, then returned. SirusXM sent me a filter and said that this was a known issue with some GM cars. I did not help so had the shark fin replaced and has been fine since.
I own a volt. Is there any place where I can find what all these abbreviations mean? STP BECM BCM etc etc

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own a volt. Is there any place where I can find what all these abbreviations mean? STP BECM BCM etc etc
Sorry about that. I know it is frustrating when insiders use these acronyms. STP: "Shift to Park". It is an issue where the car won't start and you get this message even though you are in Park. (I have not had this myself so far.) BECM: Battery Energy Control Module. When this happened to me, the battery status and mileage readings started to become erratic although still driveable. It was a major repair that required the car being at the dealer for several days, including the removal of the battery. I am not sure if there is a central place on this forum to find a list of definitions. I would just do a search.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No issues. Had a 2017 since jan 2018, previous owner had it for a year and a half. I did the recalls. Infotainment has been fine, I have a dedicated cellphone in the car that drives android auto and is rooted so I can display the phone screen on the dash and use any phone app, like youtube video(youtube vanced). My regular phone acts as a hotspot. I have comma.ai's openpilot working on a car that doesn't have ACC. I don't steer on most roads, open pilot does it for me. From day one, I used the parking break for sitting in traffic, waiting for trains, sitting in a drive thru, etc; instead of putting the car in park, that likely is why I have avoided the shift to park issue for now. I honestly wish the parking break was a discrete push button instead of the silly neutral toggle switch. Early on, it was easy to forget if you have to pull up or push down to release or set.

·
Registered
99 Posts
PizzaBox1324,

Yes I had a loss of power on the freeway and the message "action needed, shift to park" in any gear selection with no success in restarting. Towed to Chevy dealer by OnStar ad I was told "total transaxle failure" The Volt is a 2017 Premier with 44k miles. It is covered by the Voltec warranty and a free loaner car is provided. Currently waiting for repairs to complete.

Stephen

Hello just doing a poll to see how many 2017 Volt owners on this forum have had problems that some say are very common to 2017 models. From what I've read two of the most common problems are the Shift to Park and BECM problems. This is a very unscientific poll and I'm sure there are other common problems that I am not aware of. Just doing it to see the results and also just for fun lol
FYI I'm also doing this poll over on r/volt. It is the same except I added another option for people who may have had both BECM and shift to park problems for the poll here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts