GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend, I noticed some strange behavior when in air only mode (not ECO or MAX). My fan would ramp up to max speed then die down and not respond to my inputs.

This morning, the Air/AC/Heat did not blow at all after preconditioning and 10 minutes of driving. Eco, Max, Lo, Hi both resulted in nothing. A quick stop/start did not help. Switching between feet/head/defrost didn't work either-- though I did hear some internal air deflectors(?) moving around. I've read about issues where heat isn't working on Gen1 and Gen2 Volts, but haven't come across intermittent blower issues in general. I suspect that when I leave work today, the air will work again for a time and conk out again. Any advice?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Over the weekend, I noticed some strange behavior when in air only mode (not ECO or MAX). My fan would ramp up to max speed then die down and not respond to my inputs.

This morning, the Air/AC/Heat did not blow at all after preconditioning and 10 minutes of driving. Eco, Max, Lo, Hi both resulted in nothing. A quick stop/start did not help. Switching between feet/head/defrost didn't work either-- though I did hear some internal air deflectors(?) moving around. I've read about issues where heat isn't working on Gen1 and Gen2 Volts, but haven't come across intermittent blower issues in general. I suspect that when I leave work today, the air will work again for a time and conk out again. Any advice?

Doesn't obviously look normal to me. My 2018 Volt hasn't done that yet....I'd take it to your dealer...

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
That's not normal or how my 2017 behaves. Hate to say it but it looks like you'll need to visit your dealer for resolution.

Good luck.

·
Registered
872 Posts
In the first video, it looked like your blower started and stopped corresponding to the vehicle speed. I have absolutely no idea why those two things would be connected, but I do know that when the A/C is running in mine, I can hear the tone of a pump or compressor ramp up as I start moving and go back down when I stop. I suspect the inverter is limited in adjusting the voltage or frequency of all its outputs, so the compressor has to match the drive motors.

Definitely take it to the dealer; there's something wrong with the electrical system for sure. I'm honestly not sure if the blowers are HV or 12V, but at any rate, the dealer will be able to diagnose it with their tools.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, made an appointment for Saturday. I'm worried they won't be able to reproduce the issue, but hoping they'll take a look at my videos.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts