GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked my new 2017 Volt LT in Kinetic Blue yesterday. I have a quick question regarding the compass in the vehicle.

When I select Navigation in the DIC (without any Onstar routes), should the compass show my direction there? Mine is just showing a gray compass arrow but no direction information. The compass on the MyLink display is working fine, but I would like to see it on the DIC too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I just picked my new 2017 Volt LT in Kinetic Blue yesterday. I have a quick question regarding the compass in the vehicle.

When I select Navigation in the DIC (without any Onstar routes), should the compass show my direction there? Mine is just showing a gray compass arrow but no direction information. The compass on the MyLink display is working fine, but I would like to see it on the DIC too.

Thanks!
Navigation selection is for Onstar routes ONLY. There is a compass is under the Info position on the DIC.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Since you are brand new to your Volt you may not have noticed there is a compass on the center console display. The Navigation icon doubles as an active compass and shows your direction of travel. It's very subtle, and you wouldn't think that an icon for the nav system is actually a live compass, but it is. Check it out when you drive tomorrow.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Huh, I didn't know the NAV icon also doubles as a compass. This this require we have the OnStar NAV subscription or will it work with just Basic OnStar service? I'll have to check this out tomorrow.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Yeah, like I said it's a subtle thing. I have the 5 year OnStar basic plan as I let the full thing run out after the trial. Not sure if OnStar has anything to do with it, I would doubt it. My guess is it works with the Nav system's capabilities.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Navigation selection is for Onstar routes ONLY. There is a compass is under the Info position on the DIC.
I missed the compass readout on the speedo screen. That's exactly what I was looking for. It's much easier to check there than look over at the center screen for direction. Thanks!

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm aware of the compass in the DIC right above the MPH readout, but that's only for major direction at 45 deg marks. I was interpreting Kraven's comment as meaning we have a more refined compass. Though, now that I think about it, that NAV icon would be too small to have anything but the major compass directions. Darn, I was hoping for a numeric readout or a compass that mimicked a real one floating in fluid. Still keep forgetting to try this.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I'm aware of the compass in the DIC right above the MPH readout, but that's only for major direction at 45 deg marks. I was interpreting Kraven's comment as meaning we have a more refined compass. Though, now that I think about it, that NAV icon would be too small to have anything but the major compass directions. Darn, I was hoping for a numeric readout or a compass that mimicked a real one floating in fluid. Still keep forgetting to try this.
It wouldn't be terribly accurate anyway. Boats have to go through an annoyingly complicated process of adjusting and tuning the compass every time something changes. Add a new radio, readjust the compass. Replace the steel water tank with a plastic one, adjust the compass. And you can't do it just once, it's a balancing act that requires testing on eight different headings, all to get accuracy that that's close enough that you can just do some adding and subtracting depending on heading ("deviation") to account for how all the shipboard stuff is affecting things, and then apply one final adjustment based on how far east or west you are of the magnetic pole plus local geologic conditions ("variation"), and then you STILL end up being plus or minus a degree or two most of the time. The major 45 degree marks are about as good as you can get without knowing exactly where you are and what's around you in the first place. There's a 30-degree variation swing between Maine and Washington, and that's before you get into the fun of dealing with concrete full of rebar and that Kenworth hauling sewer pipe next to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts