GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you please share your lease deal details so we all get an idea of the kind of deals out there?

Include following details:
- monthly payment
- drive off cost including tax, fee and 1st month
- Exact model, options, color
- Lease terms(term, miles, so on)
- Sale price
- Rebates
- MF and residual
- your location & dealer info
- anything else that's going to be helpful

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
- anything else that's going to be helpful

Are you sure you want to lease? Leasing is often one of the most expensive ways to operate a vehicle. I love my 100% down, $0 per month 0% money factor, unlimited miles, unlimited term deal. Imagine how much money you'd have not making a perpetual monthly car payment.

It's really tough to borrow your way into wealth.

End soapbox.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

Are you sure you want to lease? Leasing is often one of the most expensive ways to operate a vehicle. I love my 100% down, $0 per month 0% money factor, unlimited miles, unlimited term deal. Imagine how much money you'd have not making a perpetual monthly car payment.

End soapbox.
I'm with you on leasing; however, there are times when it does make sense. If the incentives are right, and the stars and moon have aligned, sometimes, leasing is amazing. I would enjoy reading this thread as it makes everyone a more informed shopper if people will post their own actual details and from which state that entails.

·
Registered
495 Posts

End soapbox.
Generally true, but not always. If GMF did like NMAC or FMC or BMWFS (and let's face it, practically every financing arm of every EV manufacturer out there) and passed along the full $7500 tax credit as a capitalized cost reduction, you can buy out your lease and capture the $7500 if you don't have enough tax obligations to qualify for the full amount yourself.

With that said, GMF is only passing along $2300 ($4600 for CARB buyers), so we are getting stiffed out of $5200 ($2900 for CARB buyers) of savings. That rules out a lease for me. And since I don't have enough tax obligations to qualify for the full $7500, buying is out too.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
Generally true, but not always. If GMF did like NMAC or FMC or BMWFS (and let's face it, practically every financing arm of every EV manufacturer out there) and passed along the full $7500 tax credit as a capitalized cost reduction, you can buy out your lease and capture the $7500 if you don't have enough tax obligations to qualify for the full amount yourself.

With that said, GMF is only passing along $2300 ($4600 for CARB buyers), so we are getting stiffed out of $5200 ($2900 for CARB buyers) of savings. That rules out a lease for me. And since I don't have enough tax obligations to qualify for the full $7500, buying is out too.
Agreed, I wouldn't be a volt owner were it not for the fed tax credit, an awesome state rebate program (now suspended), the great $5K price drop, onto some year end incentives, and GM card rebate. If the Tex credit didn't exist, then I'd probably be driving another car that was more cost effective or bigger and had more cargo for about the same price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Even though I usually buy, I decided to Lease as it was a great deal and I think the technology in 3 years will be light-years ahead of where it is now. Buying would have been 50% more each month for 3 additional years

36 months/15K
MSRP: $34,095
Selling Price: $30,795
Incentives: $4,550
Out of Pocket: $2,795 (includes $1500 CA rebate, fees, first month, etc.)
MF: 0.0004
Residual: 55%

Monthly $209.67
Tax: $15.73 (Ventura County, CA - 7.5%)
Total: $225.40

Buying the exact same car, figuring in the $7500 tax credit and the $1500 CA rebate for 6 years @ 1.9% would have been $331 (incl tax) for 6 years or $394 for 5 years (using a $29,795 sales price). The difference in monthly cost and the length of a loan were too much for me. I am very happy with my lease.

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
THE THREAD IS: "2017 Volt lease - share your deal"
The OP did leave that last line asking for anything else that might help.

And I did share my deal, $0 per month, 0% money factor is the best deal out there. Nobody can beat it unless they start paying you interest to lease.

Back to the OP's topic, another "Anything else" is to go get a GM BuyPower card, put all your groceries and expenses on it, pay it off monthly to avoid interest, then collect 5% rebates up to $250 per year then 2% rebates on afterwards, no limits. so shove about $3-4M through this credit card and you can get a Volt for free.

Also search the forum for one of the PO Trolls to see how to score a $1k private offer.

·
8,680 Posts
Guys, let's try to be mature adults and professionals here.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Even though I usually buy, I decided to Lease as it was a great deal and I think the technology in 3 years will be light-years ahead of where it is now. Buying would have been 50% more each month for 3 additional years
Lots of reasons to lease but technology would not be one of them. We pretty know what will be out there in three years and the technology will be roughly the same as what we're seeing now. Unfortunately.

Not to say you shouldn't lease. Leasing looks more attractive the larger the discount off MSRP. That's because the residual is based on the MSRP and the lease depreciation is the difference between the purchase price and the residual. In effect you capture all the discount off MSRP during the lease term. Plus of course you get most of the advantage of the tax credit during those years. The big disadvantage is you have to do the whole thing again in three years. If the residual is OK it hardly matters because you can always buy the car for the residual. On the other hand, if you buy you capture all the discounts and the tax credit and the rebate. It's just over a longer period.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For the "leasing always sucks" troll I am wondering how you would explain to me I was wrong to lease my 2013. My lease is up in a month and I paid 36 payments of $350 and now us bank would like me to purchase my car for $14,000. After paying tax on the $14,000, I would own my car and will have only paid $27,800 for it. It is fully loaded with an MSRP of about $44,000 if I recall.

If I purchased it 3 years ago for the same approx. $6,000 off, I would have paid $41,900. I would have waited close to a year for my tax credit, increased my audit risk, tied up major dollars for three years all for the privilege of paying $6,600 more than the sucker who leased it. And with the purchase, I would be forced to drive a 3 year old car or take my chances on craigslist getting it sold.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In Los Angeles,
Chevy LT 2017 with leather
$192/month including taxes, $1500 drive off (rebate).
Incentives were $500 existing lease and $500 end of month special. Had Private offer too but wouldn't apply in March to 2017.

·
Registered
501 Posts
For the "leasing always sucks" troll I am wondering how you would explain to me I was wrong to lease my 2013.
he's in the rust belt so it probably has something to do with that.

he still can't get over the fact that I leased a 2016 Cruze for $39 per month with virtually nothing down after getting my free Costco gift card, and then sold it 2 months later on Beepi FOR $3,500 MORE THAN I OWED ON IT!

Leasing Bad! LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
For a Volt premier MSRP of $40,690 I got this quote:
Selling price: 37,144
Captilized gross: $37,839

Rebate $6,139

Cash down $499

Net capitalized cost $32,425

Monthly payment: $364

12,000 mi/year for 36 months
Residual 52%

My questions are: Is this a good deal? Why is the residual so low?
I've seen people posting 57% residuals for 15k miles/year.

·
Registered
495 Posts
In Los Angeles,
Chevy LT 2017 with leather
$192/month including taxes, $1500 drive off (rebate).
Incentives were $500 existing lease and $500 end of month special. Had Private offer too but wouldn't apply in March to 2017.
Mileage? Term?

·
Registered
293 Posts
you mean like STICKING TO THE TOPIC?

call me crazy but I thought the question was "2017 Volt LEASE - share your deal"
not "Who hates leasing"
Agree..plus look at my 2012...$42k car a mere 4 years later worth $10K...it is paid off but there is that $32K gap in my wallet (yeah the $7500 rebate...okay but that is a tax incentive not $7500 in your pocket so lets say $27K gap in my wallet). If I had leased for $250/mo which was the going rate at that time for 4 years I would have paid $12K (it was zero down at that time).

If the Volt actually held its value...which it does NOT...then there is an argument to be had, but this queen of devaluation is a lease coming and going!!

·
Registered
13,558 Posts
For the "leasing always sucks" troll I am wondering how you would explain to me I was wrong to lease my 2013. My lease is up in a month and I paid 36 payments of $350 and now us bank would like me to purchase my car for $14,000. After paying tax on the $14,000, I would own my car and will have only paid $27,800 for it. It is fully loaded with an MSRP of about $44,000 if I recall.

If I purchased it 3 years ago for the same approx. $6,000 off, I would have paid $41,900. I would have waited close to a year for my tax credit, increased my audit risk, tied up major dollars for three years all for the privilege of paying $6,600 more than the sucker who leased it. And with the purchase, I would be forced to drive a 3 year old car or take my chances on craigslist getting it sold.
Because in october 2013 I bought my 2013 loaded (except for safety 2) $44K volt for $21K including state sales tax. But the moons aligned, a bunch of incentives and rebates stacked onto each other, and it was the deal of the decade. $41.9K was way too much for a 2013, especially after the great $5k price cut. You found a great lease deal and are comparing it to a mediocre purchase deal. Plus there's nothing that says a car only lasts 3 years, and you have to sell it at all. But if you insist on swapping cars every 3 years, no matter which you choose, you will pay, sometimes more, sometimes less. The real savings is to not get caught up in the new car habit and drive it into the ground.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts