GM Volt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
If, indeed, you don’t use any gas at all during the year, when the FMM is triggered, be sure to have a charge in the battery (so you can drive on battery power in PPR mode to the gas station) and then drive around with the engine running until you run out of gas (a small amount of gas remains in the lines when the computer shuts off the engine because the "tank is empty"). Then add new gas, so all the gas in the tank is new gas (and the next FMM is postponed for nearly one year). The more fresh gas you add, the less impact the old gas remaining in the fuel lines has on the start of the next FMM. If you fill the tank of a Gen 1 Volt (as I did twice), the next FMM will happen 363 days later. If you only add the minimum (~1.5 gallons, as our forum friend Ari_C did), the next FMM will happen in 318 days.

If you just add more gas to end the FMM quickly, but don’t empty the tank, you’re then merely diluting old gas if you don’t soon use it... for example, if the FMM is running and you have 2 gallons of 12-month-old gas in the tank, you can add 2 gallons of fresh gas to end the FMM... average age will now be 6 months... next FMM is triggered 6 months later, when 2 of the 4 gallons in the tank will then be 18 months old... add 4 gallons of fresh gas then to end the FMM, and when the next FMM starts in 6 months, 2 of those 8 gallons will be 24 months old...
on the other hand, wouldn’t it be easier to just schedule a day trip to somewhere fun once in awhile rather than worry about postponing FMM for as long as possible? I feel the need to get some portillo’s hot dogs... road trip!!! Oh wait... COVID restrictions

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2017 Premier (which sucks compared to my 2015 volt)
It's been saying 'Fuel System Maintenance" for about a week now. It seems as if it's running on gas totally, no battery usage at all. It also seems as if it's running all the gas out. Today it finally said 'Fuel Low' and gave me a warning.
Is this normal?
And when I run out of gas it wont let me sit right? it'll switch automatically back to battery?

Thanks!
It's time to fill your gas tank , so it will go back to battery operation, again the car will make you run out, over half the gas, then fill the tank to get the old gas out and mix in new gas , that is all normal for the 2017 Volt I have a 2018 that did the same thing. It's normal.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
GM does not recommend adding any fuel treatment products to the Volt's fuel system. The exception is if you cannot find Top Tier fuel in your area. This is highly unlikely, these days, as in most parts of the US you can find the major fuel brands; the major fuel brands sell gasoline products that conform to the Top Tier fuel specification for detergent gasoline. If you can't find Top Tier fuel to use in your Volt then GM recommends adding 1 bottle of GM fuel treatment (check your Volt Owner's Manual for the specific GM part number.)

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
GM does not recommend adding any fuel treatment products to the Volt's fuel system. The exception is if you cannot find Top Tier fuel in your area. This is highly unlikely, these days, as in most parts of the US you can find the major fuel brands; the major fuel brands sell gasoline products that conform to the Top Tier fuel specification for detergent gasoline. If you can't find Top Tier fuel to use in your Volt then GM recommends adding 1 bottle of GM fuel treatment (check your Volt Owner's Manual for the specific GM part number.)
That's news to me. So Techron in a Volt is a no no? Makes me wonder if there's something in this stuff that the GM engines cannot handle or whether it's a ploy to get people to pay $200+ for the injection cleaning. Is there anyone who works at a Chevy service center who is willing to reveal the nitty gritty details of this throttle body and injector cleaning?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Check your Volt Owner's Manual for information regarding using only Top Tier Fuel, GM fuel system treatment. If the dealer is recommending fuel injector treatments or maintenance this is beyond what is in the Volt Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think honestly that quality feel was in the weight of the First Gen Volt. It is a much heavier car than the lithe and svelte 2nd Gen Volt. I agree that the first Gens 'feel' better, and in my opinion, look better too, but I absolutely love the 'careful optimization' of the 2nd Gens. Everything serves a purpose and not one extra bit. Plus my new decal on the side dresses up my baby a bit more. Hahaha!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Looks great! love the decal Love my 2019.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
478 Posts
Had a problem with the Engine Maintenance mode for the past couple of weeks. Due to Covid, we are not going out much except to the store for groceries and maybe a hardware run. The store is exactly 10 minutes from our house. This means that the Engine Maintenance mode gets aborted at about the 90-95% mark when the car is turned off at the parking lot. Now one would expect the system to remember that it almost completed the EM, but nooo. When you leave the store and head back home, it starts all over again at 0%. This has been going on for 2 weeks now. My wife usually does the shopping so I just found out that it was still happening yesterday. Annoyed, I just did some random extra driving to complete the damn thing. The motor in the duration has had about 60 minutes of run time. Not the smartest system on the block.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Had a problem with the Engine Maintenance mode for the past couple of weeks. Due to Covid, we are not going out much except to the store for groceries and maybe a hardware run. The store is exactly 10 minutes from our house. This means that the Engine Maintenance mode gets aborted at about the 90-95% mark when the car is turned off at the parking lot. Now one would expect the system to remember that it almost completed the EM, but nooo. When you leave the store and head back home, it starts all over again at 0%. This has been going on for 2 weeks now. My wife usually does the shopping so I just found out that it was still happening yesterday. Annoyed, I just did some random extra driving to complete the damn thing. The motor in the duration has had about 60 minutes of run time. Not the smartest system on the block.
Go for a weekend drive then and let it complete.

Reactions: WhatAShocker

·
Registered
91 Posts
You are missing the point. Part of the 100% cycle is not just to mindlessly burn stale fuel, but the Volt is also checking the operation of the catalyst and other emissions systems to ensure nothing has failed in all the time the system has been off. To do that it needs to get to minimum operating temperature. It's also trying to get the oil warm enough to cycle through the entire system so that parts are lubricated that need to be for the long periods the generator is off.

It's actually an incredibly brilliant system trying to save you the chance of a potential breakdown because of lack of use. GM isn't exactly perfect, but the engineering team behind the Volt was absolutely brilliant.

Though you might prefer the Prius Prime which has 8,000km or 5 month oil change intervals whether you use the silly engine or not. Or the fact that it runs the gas engine whenever it wants to, stale gas or not. Volt spoils us all with legendary reliability, brilliant engineering and frankly silly low cost of ownership. If it means you have to drive around a few extra minutes, I will gladly take that with our Volt, anyway.

But I hope you now understand your machine a bit more now. I understand where you are coming from, but with some understanding, you can better appreciate what your car is trying to do.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Though you might prefer the Prius Prime which has 8,000km or 5 month oil change intervals whether you use the silly engine or not. Or the fact that it runs the gas engine whenever it wants to, stale gas or not. Volt spoils us all with legendary reliability, brilliant engineering and frankly silly low cost of ownership. If it means you have to drive around a few extra minutes, I will gladly take that with our Volt, anyway.
I would not wish a Prius Prime onto anyone.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I haven't run into that as I live slightly longer away from the store, it completes the EMM a couple blocks away from the stop. Every other EMM I run it on CS mode to get higher operating temp, more complete scavenging of emissions system, cleaning of spark plugs and the other things higher rpm does. You might try that to see if the EMM ends sooner, I think it will.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
478 Posts
You are missing the point. Part of the 100% cycle is not just to mindlessly burn stale fuel, but the Volt is also checking the operation of the catalyst and other emissions systems to ensure nothing has failed in all the time the system has been off. To do that it needs to get to minimum operating temperature. It's also trying to get the oil warm enough to cycle through the entire system so that parts are lubricated that need to be for the long periods the generator is off.

It's actually an incredibly brilliant system trying to save you the chance of a potential breakdown because of lack of use. GM isn't exactly perfect, but the engineering team behind the Volt was absolutely brilliant.

But I hope you now understand your machine a bit more now. I understand where you are coming from, but with some understanding, you can better appreciate what your car is trying to do.

We've owned Volts since 2103, thank you. I don't recall this ever happening with our Gen1 Volt, just the Gen2. The engine maintenance cycle seems longer with Gen2. But point taken, we are definitely driving less due to Covid-19 and thus almost all driving is now electric. There is no stale fuel in the tank. This was an engine maintenance cycle. We just fueled up a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
We've owned Volts since 2103, thank you. I don't recall this ever happening with our Gen1 Volt, just the Gen2. The engine maintenance cycle seems longer with Gen2. But point taken, we are definitely driving less due to Covid-19 and thus almost all driving is now electric. There is no stale fuel in the tank. This was an engine maintenance cycle. We just fueled up a couple of weeks ago.
2103, huh. So you travelled back in time from the future to tell us that volts are still being sold 80+ years from now?

Reactions: supchrgamx

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Not sure if you meant you didn’t remember running an EMM with your Gen 1 Volt, or that the cycle didn’t seem to last as long.

They don’t happen very often. The Engine Maintenance Mode provides a moderate level of maintenance to a Volt engine that has not been run in 6 weeks. It happens, at most, 8 times a year for those whose daily commuting needs rarely require driving beyond battery range. Your Gen 2 Volt has a greater electric range than did your Gen 1 Volt, so the Gen 2 driver may go even longer on battery only, and thus experience more of those EMMs.

One further distinction is the Gen 1 EMM starts when you say Yes, start the EMM, making it easier to run while parked or to be running before you actually start driving (or if you postpone it the first day, it may start automatically when you precondition the car the next morning). The Gen 2 EMM won’t start until you shift out of Park into D or L. Some report you need to start driving before the EMM starts.

That small amount of start delay, followed by a short drive to the store, may account for why the EMM didn’t finish before you reached the store and turned off the car, making it necessary to rerun the whole EMM program the next time the car was started.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
478 Posts
That could be. We had less frequent EMM with the Gen 1, probably due to the shorter electric range causing us to run on the ICE more. But we definitely saw several EMM over 6 yrs of ownership. I do recall them starting right away which was disturbing when in a garage, so I can understand if GM chose to make sure the car was in motion first.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
478 Posts
Not sure if you meant you didn’t remember running an EMM with your Gen 1 Volt, or that the cycle didn’t seem to last as long.

They don’t happen very often. The Engine Maintenance Mode provides a moderate level of maintenance to a Volt engine that has not been run in 6 weeks. It happens, at most, 8 times a year for those whose daily commuting needs rarely require driving beyond battery range. Your Gen 2 Volt has a greater electric range than did your Gen 1 Volt, so the Gen 2 driver may go even longer on battery only, and thus experience more of those EMMs.

One further distinction is the Gen 1 EMM starts when you say Yes, start the EMM, making it easier to run while parked or to be running before you actually start driving (or if you postpone it the first day, it may start automatically when you precondition the car the next morning). The Gen 2 EMM won’t start until you shift out of Park into D or L. Some report you need to start driving before the EMM starts.

That small amount of start delay, followed by a short drive to the store, may account for why the EMM didn’t finish before you reached the store and turned off the car, making it necessary to rerun the whole EMM program the next time the car was started.
Thanks for the explanations.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
478 Posts
2103, huh. So you travelled back in time from the future to tell us that volts are still being sold 80+ years from now?
Yes, and you can just drool over the hovering ability of the 2103 Volt. Anti-gravity rocks. :p

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Yes, and you can just drool over the hovering ability of the 2103 Volt. Anti-gravity rocks. :p
Can I borrow your time machine for a day or so? Need to go back in time to buy a bunch of stock in the 90s, or after dot Bomb, or during the financial crisis, or even last March.

Reactions: supchrgamx

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
478 Posts
Can I borrow your time machine for a day or so? Need to go back in time to buy a bunch of stock in the 90s, or after dot Bomb, or during the financial crisis, or even last March.
Sure, right after I finish buying out Bezos and Gates and rule the world. Bwah hah hah hah.:devilish:

21 - 40 of 46 Posts