GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Premier (which sucks compared to my 2015 volt)
It's been saying 'Fuel System Maintenance" for about a week now. It seems as if it's running on gas totally, no battery usage at all. It also seems as if it's running all the gas out. Today it finally said 'Fuel Low' and gave me a warning.
Is this normal?
And when I run out of gas it wont let me sit right? it'll switch automatically back to battery?

Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's been saying 'Fuel System Maintenance" for about a week now. It seems as if it's running on gas totally, no battery usage at all. It also seems as if it's running all the gas out. Today it finally said 'Fuel Low' and gave me a warning.
Is this normal?
And when I run out of gas it wont let me sit right? it'll switch automatically back to battery?

Thanks!
Correct. It's just getting rid of the gas before it gets stale. When you open the gas door to fill up and it detects a change in the fuel level, it will switch back to battery. If you are not going to be using the generator that often, then GM specifies only filling the tank halfway.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Fuel Maintenance Mode will run the engine until you run out of gas or add enough new gas to lower the "average age" of the fuel.
Engine Maintenace Mode will only run the engine about 10 minutes or so, then switch back to battery.

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
Neuro, it sounds like you don't hit the Dino juice very hard to get fuel maintenance mode. You need to get out more... after the pandemic. :)

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Is this normal?

Thanks!
Yes it's normal. Once the fuel is about a year old the car will start burning it off. It will stop when you put fresh fuel in.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
What will happen when you run out of gas in your Volt is the Volt will switch to Reduced Propulsion mode. It does this to help ensure that you can drive to a gas station and purchase some gas.

A) Reduced Propulsion mode provided limited power and greatly reduced acceleration.

B) To avoid having to drive in Reduced Propulsion mode purchase some fresh gas. When the Low Fuel message appears you have ~1.2 gallon of fuel remaining; when the driving range estimate (for gas) changes from a number to just Low you have about 1/2 gallon remaining. That would be an ideal time to purchase some fresh fuel.

C) If you don't regularly use any gas the Volt Owner's manual recommends that you keep the fuel tank 1/3 full, about 3 gallons. In the Gen 2 Volt you don't need to put premium fuel into the Volt, 87 octane regular grade is what the engine is designed to use. Buy only a name brand detergent gasoline, these are all Top Tier fuels (Top Tier fuel designation is what the Volt Owner's Manual specifies.) The Top Tier fuel specification has nothing to do with the fuel's octane rating, only confirms that the fuel contains the latest blend of detergent additives to help keep the fuel injectors and engine intake valves clean of any sludge.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
I don’t own a gen2 but as a forum member for years, it seems like the gen1s were over engineered where in gen2s they cut corners where they could. Even early gen1s had a metal cover over the electric motor where 2013 and beyond got a plastic cover with a metal looking sticker. Obviously, I’d kill for CarPlay in my Volt but that’s not reason enough to trade the gen1 in

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why does Gen 2 sucko? Over Gen 1? Please tell.
I kind of agree. After owning a 2012, and recently a 2018 it seems like the seats were nicer, turn signal stalks a bit beefier, it had auto dimming mirror with homelink, etc. Overall, other than the better range and significantly more refined Voltec powertrain, alot of the body/interior pieces just seemed of higher quality. I felt as though the original Volt was built from the ground up as a Volt whereas the 2nd generation feels like a rebadged economy car with a fantastic powertrain.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I kind of agree. After owning a 2012, and recently a 2018 it seems like the seats were nicer, turn signal stalks a bit beefier, it had auto dimming mirror with homelink, etc. Overall, other than the better range and significantly more refined Voltec powertrain, alot of the body/interior pieces just seemed of higher quality. I felt as though the original Volt was built from the ground up as a Volt whereas the 2nd generation feels like a rebadged economy car with a fantastic powertrain.
I think honestly that quality feel was in the weight of the First Gen Volt. It is a much heavier car than the lithe and svelte 2nd Gen Volt. I agree that the first Gens 'feel' better, and in my opinion, look better too, but I absolutely love the 'careful optimization' of the 2nd Gens. Everything serves a purpose and not one extra bit. Plus my new decal on the side dresses up my baby a bit more. Hahaha!

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
What's amazing to me is how many Gen1s I see on the road and how few Gen2s I've come across over the years. Alas, it doesn't help when the car gets cancelled and you cannot buy them any more.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think honestly that quality feel was in the weight of the First Gen Volt. It is a much heavier car than the lithe and svelte 2nd Gen Volt. I agree that the first Gens 'feel' better, and in my opinion, look better too, but I absolutely love the 'careful optimization' of the 2nd Gens. Everything serves a purpose and not one extra bit. Plus my new decal on the side dresses up my baby a bit more. Hahaha!

Canadian Volts came with hubcaps??!! Not alloy wheels??

Reactions: WhatAShocker

·
Registered
91 Posts
Canadian Volts came with hubcaps??!! Not alloy wheels??
No... Those are my snow tires on steel rims. I got the hub caps from a Cruze as they are fairly aero and I found helped add about 5 to 7 kms of range consistently over just having the plain steelies on!

·
Registered
102 Posts
No... Those are my snow tires on steel rims. I got the hub caps from a Cruze as they are fairly aero and I found helped add about 5 to 7 kms of range consistently over just having the plain steelies on!

Oh, ok, all is well then. :)

Also, where did you get that decal?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oh, ok, all is well then. :)

Also, where did you get that decal?
Here you go! There is a sale on too apparently. Quality is excellent I must say.

C$ 21.38 30%OFF | For Chevrolet Volt Stylish Car Door Side Stripes Sticker Vinyl Film Body Decals Racing Stripe Sticker Auto Car Accessories 2Pcs

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fuel Maintenance Mode will run the engine until you run out of gas or add enough new gas to lower the "average age" of the fuel.
Engine Maintenace Mode will only run the engine about 10 minutes or so, then switch back to battery.
Yeah, I've got January gas in my tank right now. Totally expecting Gas Maintenance Mode to kick in any day now. I did figure with working-from-home since March that I'd be driving way less, so I did put some Stabil fuel stabilizer in the tank back in March.

·
Registered
13,664 Posts
Yeah, I've got January gas in my tank right now. Totally expecting Gas Maintenance Mode to kick in any day now. I did figure with working-from-home since March that I'd be driving way less, so I did put some Stabil fuel stabilizer in the tank back in March.
The fuel stabilizer doesn’t change the way the fuel maintenance mode computes when to run, though it might count as a tiny bit of fuel added in march.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Correct. It's just getting rid of the gas before it gets stale. When you open the gas door to fill up and it detects a change in the fuel level, it will switch back to battery. If you are not going to be using the generator that often, then GM specifies only filling the tank halfway.

Whenever my wife puts gas in her 2014 Volt, I always add Stabil, in the correct amount. I swear I spend more on Stabil than she does on gas!:)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If, indeed, you don’t use any gas at all during the year, when the FMM is triggered, be sure to have a charge in the battery (so you can drive on battery power in PPR mode to the gas station) and then drive around with the engine running until you run out of gas (a small amount of gas remains in the lines when the computer shuts off the engine because the "tank is empty"). Then add new gas, so all the gas in the tank is new gas (and the next FMM is postponed for nearly one year). The more fresh gas you add, the less impact the old gas remaining in the fuel lines has on the start of the next FMM. If you fill the tank of a Gen 1 Volt (as I did twice), the next FMM will happen 363 days later. If you only add the minimum (~1.5 gallons, as our forum friend Ari_C did), the next FMM will happen in 318 days.

If you just add more gas to end the FMM quickly, but don’t empty the tank, you’re then merely diluting old gas if you don’t soon use it... for example, if the FMM is running and you have 2 gallons of 12-month-old gas in the tank, you can add 2 gallons of fresh gas to end the FMM... average age will now be 6 months... next FMM is triggered 6 months later, when 2 of the 4 gallons in the tank will then be 18 months old... add 4 gallons of fresh gas then to end the FMM, and when the next FMM starts in 6 months, 2 of those 8 gallons will be 24 months old...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts