GM Volt Forum banner

2017 Volt hatchback and being short?

2980 19
Hello all, this is my first post, so gentle!

I've been a 2010 Prius driver for afew years and one thing has always bothered me about it. That is the hatch opens so high a short person like me cannot close it by just reaching up, no way no how. Not to mention opening the hatch in a garage can hit the roof if it's not very tall.

Well, what about the Volt? I've never seen anyone comment on it at all. Volt's are as rare as hen's teeth here in the low country of South Carolina, so i can't actually go see one. So how high does the hatch open and how easy it for the short to reach?

I'm seriously considering a volt, but I really don't want to go through the hatch problem again for another few years. Is there maybe a mod available?

The C-MAX Energi has a powered hatch available, so I know I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it's all electric miles and MPG are so low that my commute wouldn't be any cheaper than with my Prius.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
3,237 Posts
It can be an issue. I think there was one member who complained it hit his garage door. The Gen 2 opened an inch or so higher than Gen 1 and that made the difference. I think he limited the travel of the hatch by tying a cord to the hatch and anchoring it in the cargo area. He was originally looking to replace the struts with shorter ones and that is a possibility, but determining and finding the right length, strength and attachment configuration is very difficult.

It is also possible to attach a dangling grab handle to a hatch to make it easier to reach. Either of those might help your Prius or a Volt. If you can't reach a Prius hatch, you would probably have trouble with a Volt or most any car with a hatch unless it is powered. By the way, check the reliability of the C-max before you are temped to consider that again.

· Registered
769 Posts
I'm on the short side myself. You learn to use/make tools to make up for your limitations as Barry suggested previously. The great thing about being short is that you always have enough leg/head room!

· Registered
445 Posts
Both of my older girls are able to close my hatch. They are around 5 ft tall. My whole family is 5'8 or shorter so it would be an issue for us if it went too high lol.

I have a standard garage and I can open the hatch with the garage door up and it doesn't come close to hitting it. I thought it would be close but luckily it's not.

· Registered
4,890 Posts
Hello all, this is my first post, so gentle!

I've been a 2010 Prius driver for afew years and one thing has always bothered me about it. That is the hatch opens so high a short person like me cannot close it by just reaching up, no way no how. Not to mention opening the hatch in a garage can hit the roof if it's not very tall.

Well, what about the Volt? I've never seen anyone comment on it at all. Volt's are as rare as hen's teeth here in the low country of South Carolina, so i can't actually go see one. So how high does the hatch open and how easy it for the short to reach?

I'm seriously considering a volt, but I really don't want to go through the hatch problem again for another few years. Is there maybe a mod available?

The C-MAX Energi has a powered hatch available, so I know I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it's all electric miles and MPG are so low that my commute wouldn't be any cheaper than with my Prius.
So you can NOT reach this handle? View attachment 108929
:(
I think you could be a candidate for the rope attachment option...:)

· Registered
4,890 Posts
Well, my 9 year old can close it, but we have no idea how tall the OP is. I have seen adults under 4 feet tall, so this can be a legitimate issue for some people.
It could be also be a case of disability...:(

· Registered
86 Posts
I have a 2017 Volt heading West as I write this response. My wife is 5'1" but I can't remember if we checked this out when we took a test drive. Oops!

Surely Scarlett would have solved this "problem" if enough people expressed a concern

· Registered
1,830 Posts
My 2011, when open, the top edge of the spoiler is about 83" high, (just short of 7'), which should clear nearly any garage door.

But, the handle on the back edge is only 72" high, (6 feet), so I would think almost any person 5' tall or more can easily reach it. My mom is 5' 2" and she reaches it easily.

However, I don't know the exact measurements for the gen2 Volts, so there might be a slight difference.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Here is my crude way of showing the height of the handle for closing the hatch on my 2016 Volt. The yellow tape is set for 72 inches to the top end. The second photo is a close up of the 72 inch mark and the closing port. A 5 ft person should be able to close the hatch if he/she can raise an arm over their head.

Attachments

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It can be an issue. I think there was one member who complained it hit his garage door. The Gen 2 opened an inch or so higher than Gen 1 and that made the difference. I think he limited the travel of the hatch by tying a cord to the hatch and anchoring it in the cargo area. He was originally looking to replace the struts with shorter ones and that is a possibility, but determining and finding the right length, strength and attachment configuration is very difficult.

It is also possible to attach a dangling grab handle to a hatch to make it easier to reach. Either of those might help your Prius or a Volt. If you can't reach a Prius hatch, you would probably have trouble with a Volt or most any car with a hatch unless it is powered. By the way, check the reliability of the C-max before you are temped to consider that again.
That's kind of what I thought on the hatch. There is no good anchor point for a rope on my Prius hatch. I too thought about replacing the struts, but never got around to it.

As for the C-MAX, it's got a lot going against it, but it's in a form I really like, so it's hard to tell... :)

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't tell if that's a Prius, but if it were -- I'm not even close to reaching it. There's a place like that on my car, but it's all plastic, nothing to attach things on. I worry about a rope hanging out too when closing the hatch.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is my crude way of showing the height of the handle for closing the hatch on my 2016 Volt. The yellow tape is set for 72 inches to the top end. The second photo is a close up of the 72 inch mark and the closing port. A 5 ft person should be able to close the hatch if he/she can raise an arm over their head.
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to see (without actually knowing what I wanted to see beforehand) I may have a bit of trouble with it, but it doesn't look too bad -- it's different than the Prius hatch by quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.