·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night Drive-In Challenges for the Volt included:

1) Bright Radio display competing with movie screen

2) Audio loss every few minutes as Radio powered off

3) Unable to lower or raise window without powering up

Local Drive-In broadcasts in Fm so only audio requires radio up and running.
It was a comedy act coming up with work arounds that didn't involve the:

1) headlights coming on
2) interior lights coming on
3) pulling a sweater off the radio (to block the radio display) and finding the power on button each time the radio powered off

The infotainment manual (written for every vehicle Chevy makes) didn't seem to address the above fun activities.

Do I have to take the old junk to the Drive-In to avoid the above hassles? My old junk is a 60's car.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
1. Park Volt and leave it on
2. Turn off headlights
3. Enjoy movie (dim display if necessary)

Volt is the perfect drive-in car

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Interesting issues...

2. Turn off headlights
I'm guessing that this might not work with a Canadian Volt since the Daytime Running Lights will come on automatically. The question is whether the DRLs come on right away with the Power or whether they wait until the car starts to move. I've seen it implemented both ways.

·
2,356 Posts
Interesting issues...

2. Turn off headlights
I'm guessing that this might not work with a Canadian Volt since the Daytime Running Lights will come on automatically. The question is whether the DRLs come on right away with the Power or whether they wait until the car starts to move. I've seen it implemented both ways.
DRLs shut off in Park, at least on Gen 1

·
Registered
677 Posts
Arrive with a modicum of charge
Leave car on
Set parking brake
Put car in Park or Neutral
Use light control knob to manually turn off lights
Use dashlight control to dim dash if necessary.
Watch the movie

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Give it a try. If it's a Canadian Volt at a Canadian drive-in, DRLs are gonna be expected. If it's a USian Volt, then turning Gen 1 headlights to OFF from Auto also douses the DRLs for that power-on session. (Chevys also used to douse DRLs by applying one notch of emergency/parking brake, which wasn't enough to actually cause any braking, and I understand that that trick even worked for Canadian market cars. Obviously the electric brake doesn't give you that option anymore.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't got my Volt yet, so grain of salt:

When the dealer showed me the Volt, he turned it "on" while parked, the DRLs did not come on. So, park the car (with parking brake), turn the car off, I think GM has headlight timer so wait for all lights to shut off, the turn it back on. No DRLs!

There is a menu option to turn off the center screen as well, I made sure of this as I frequently drive at night at prefer darkness.

Also, DRLs are NOT expected at Canadian drive ins! We expect you set your parking brake to disable them (as above), or cover them with a blanket. 5 cars with lights on and you can't see the screen any more, so what's the point?

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I actually went to a drive thru movie (first time ever) about a year ago, and the volt did just fine. Because of the heat and mosquitoes, we left our volt on and turned off the lights. It was fun, but they really should have made intermission longer as there wasn't enough time to go to the restroom and wait in line for concessions. I guess I should have arrived earlier any got food before the movie.

Gibson City, IL has one of the few drive in theaters left in the area.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Do I have to take the old junk to the Drive-In to avoid the above hassles? My old junk is a 60's car.
Seems like your 60's car would have felt right at home at the drive in. In fact, better be careful because it might go "Christine" on you for leaving it at home...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems like your 60's car would have felt right at home at the drive in. In fact, better be careful because it might go "Christine" on you for leaving it at home...
Christiine was a red 57 Plymouth Fury with a large V8 which went ballistic.
My light blue 65 Dart with slant six couldn't do that even with the all the evil it could muster!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts