GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2017 Volt (was driving a 2014 plug-in prius.) I love the new vehicle, but am adjusting to differences -- things like up to activate windshield wipers instead of down, or away to hit brights instead of toward.

I absolutely love the new cellphone interface. I'm a long time Audible listener, and the control is wonderful!

One thing that surprised me is that there is no integrated garage door opener? I have to revert to having a controller attached to my sun shield flap? Is that correct?

--woody

·
Registered
2,798 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
GM did and does make an integral remote for the car. They offer it on the Malibu, which uses the same trim. GM had plans to offer it as an add-on to the Volt, but changed course at the last minute and now offers the accessory with the remote built into the rear view mirror.

So, if you want the integral remote for the Volt, you can follow the instructions on this site to add it, or you can buy GM's rear view mirror replacement that has it built-in. https://accessories.chevrolet.com/p...-84350235?year=2017&make=Chevrolet&model=Volt

If you want the integral remote in the headliner trim, you can follow TSquare's instructions for the aftermarket part or the ones in this thread to add the GM version: https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?308169-A-Factory-Homelink-Garage-Remote-Kit-is-comming!!!

^ The GM version is the exact same part as shown in TSquare's thread, except the GM version has the trim molded from the factory.

^ Since you want the integral remote, you can ignore the poo-poo comments in the threads (and no doubt, will follow here) about how worthless the feature is.

^ In Post #26, I show how I constructed the kit that GM was planning.

^ In Post #74 colchiro demonstrates a different method of the install, which is much more economical, simpler, and pragmatic

^ At the end of the thread are some complications with the trim, but it appears to be an issue only with updates for 2019

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
It was to save money to help bring the price down $5,000. They wrung all the savings they could out of the cheapest Shift To Park switch they could find. What else did they put their attention to?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Its gong to burn GM if the Arcadia class action suit over the very same problem? is followed by a Volt one

bean counters will sometimes NEVER understand their long term implications...they can't or won't see further than their own noses :(

"Spoil t'ship for a 'ha'porth of tar," the English Navy used to say

1 - 6 of 6 Posts