GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, 2017 Volt, 5 yrs running, 30k miles, got my first CEL today. I don't have an OBD reader, and I don't have an Onstar sub, but the MyChev app gives this message:

"Lithium-Ion Battery. Issue found with On-Board Charging System. Please schedule a service appointment."

Any idea what's going on? The car seems to behave, drive, and charge per normal. Is there any value in getting an OBD scanner? Or is this purely a dealer visit awaiting me?
Rectangle Font Technology Parallel Screenshot

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
We won't be able to tell much of anything without the actual code involved, which the OBD scanner provides. (On the other hand, based on your question, this is likely to be something your dealership will need to be involved in to resolve anyway, so... )

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks, 2017 Volt, 5 yrs running, 30k miles, got my first CEL today. I don't have an OBD reader, and I don't have an Onstar sub, but the MyChev app gives this message:

"Lithium-Ion Battery. Issue found with On-Board Charging System. Please schedule a service appointment."

Any idea what's going on? The car seems to behave, drive, and charge per normal. Is there any value in getting an OBD scanner? Or is this purely a dealer visit awaiting me?
View attachment 172631
Got the same message last week. Engine warning light on and no A/C. Dropped off at Bergey Chevy in Pa. when I drove it down for the appointment all seemed to be working. I was almost going to cancel, but wanted them to do the latest recall. A week later it is still there Lithium Battery control module is bad and they can’t find one. At least they gave me a loner while I wait.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got the same message last week. Engine warning light on and no A/C. Dropped off at Bergey Chevy in Pa. when I drove it down for the appointment all seemed to be working. I was almost going to cancel, but wanted them to do the latest recall. A week later it is still there Lithium Battery control module is bad and they can’t find one. At least they gave me a loner while I wait.
I just bought a used 2017 Volt Premiere (51K miles) five weeks ago.

Three weeks ago it failed to start after I got off work. Everything powered up but it would not start or drive. The battery had about 34 miles remaining when I parked it but showed 0 miles at that time.

The dealer I bought it from towed it to their facility and gave me a POS loaner, spent a week messing with it and then towed it to a Chevy dealer.
Today I just learned that Chevy installed a new Battery Control Module and that took care of it, but they are also replacing the Active Grille Shutter as it keeps setting a code for that now too, so I have to wait another day or two.

There's a TSB for the Battery Module, I hope the new part works longer than the original!

They aren't charging me a penny for all of this so I'm grateful, but I can't wait to get out of this Hyundai Accent!

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP here. I got the dealer diagnosis. The Global Diagnostic System 2 report showed:

1. Primary Code: P1E00; Control Module: Engine Control Module; DTC Description: Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2; Requested MIL Illumination; Status: Passed and Failed
2. Secondary Codes: U2619, U2620, U2621, U2622, U2623, U2624 (all related to "lost communication" with the Hybrid/EV Battery Interface Control Module); MIL status: not requested

The diagnosis was to replace the "Hybrid Battery Control Module". This part is on backorder, with indefinite ETA. This is really concerning. If these parts are not available in 2021, will they be available in 20XX? :(

Dealer says the car is drive'able on ICE, and so far, the MIL (CEL) has not come back on. I will update this thread when and if I learn more.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
761 Posts
If this is the BECM, and I believe it is, you don't want to drive it. It's been a common Gen2 problem (along with shift-to-park), which I had on my 2017 as well. It resulted in unpredictable behavior with the AC cutting out, problems starting, etc.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If this is the BECM, and I believe it is, ...
Thanks for the advice! Why is it, then, that a major metropolitan Chevy dealer service dept can't figure this out? Surely they've seen more BECM issues than us internet peeps. Any tips on how to convince them it may be the BECM? Do you suppose they're going down an ordered checklist, hoping to find that resolution to the issue can be found with a less expensive solution than replacing the BECM? Is anyone aware of a TSB or other diagnostic sheet that describes the BECM issue?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for the advice! Why is it, then, that a major metropolitan Chevy dealer service dept can't figure this out? Surely they've seen more BECM issues than us internet peeps. Any tips on how to convince them it may be the BECM? Do you suppose they're going down an ordered checklist, hoping to find that resolution to the issue can be found with a less expensive solution than replacing the BECM? Is anyone aware of a TSB or other diagnostic sheet that describes the BECM issue?
The "Hybrid Battery Control Module" IS the BECM. The U26xx codes point specifically to the BECM being the issue here. I would NOT recommend driving, the behavior with a failing BECM is unpredictable. Some have had the car be completely undrivable, while others have been stranded somewhere when the car randomly shut down. The TSB for this issue is 18-NA-261 in GM's systems.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The "Hybrid Battery Control Module" IS the BECM...
Ok! If the "Hybrid Battery Control Module" is one and the same as the "Battery Energy Control Module", then my dealer is on track. However, the service advisor (not the tech) specifically told me that they are not the same thing. Grrr.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Ok! If the "Hybrid Battery Control Module" is one and the same as the "Battery Energy Control Module", then my dealer is on track. However, the service advisor (not the tech) specifically told me that they are not the same thing. Grrr.
They're not the same. The BECM is the module (part K16) that monitors the battery state such as cell voltages, the cell temp sensors, the coolant temperature sensors, and actually does things like the battery isolation tests. It lives on top of the battery pack, on its own databus and only talks to the HPCM2 (and, I think, the four battery management modules), which is why which being referred to gets a little muddled. There's two HPCMs that are different. HPCM2 that deals with the battery end of the high voltage bus (and some miscellaneous stuff like fuel tank pressurization) and it's under the driver's seat, and HPCM1 (that also has another name that escapes me right now) that manages the propulsion end of the HV bus, like the 3phase inverter, and miscellaneous stuff like the fluid pumps for the transmission and inverter and it sits in the top of the inverter.

If you're even middling interested in this, there's a YouTube channel run by a guy named John Kelly under the name WeberAuto that has hours of videos about how the Volt (and other EVs) powertrain works, right down to the connectors and what talks to which other bits. I highly recommend the series if you've got the patience for it, even just for sorting out the vocabulary. Or at worst, he's got a soothing voice and you'll have a series of nice naps.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Peter. Do you think there's enough info here to suggest my dealer may be on the wrong track, and should instead be focusing on a BECM problem?

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
761 Posts
Thanks, Peter. Do you think there's enough info here to suggest my dealer may be on the wrong track, and should instead be focusing on a BECM problem?
That wasn't what I was trying to get across, and thank you Peter for the clarification. It was that if this is the same as the BECM, I wouldn't be driving it.

·
Registered
2017 Volt
3 Posts
Did anybody have any luck getting the part? I bought a 2017 CPO Volt 5 weeks ago and got same error on MyChevy App and the CEL. The Chevy dealer said they had to wait for an "Energy Control Module" I think. 2 weeks estimate. I'm not a fan of GM, but I got seduced by the electric range of the Volt :(

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did anybody have any luck getting the part? ...
OP here. I have not yet been contacted by my dealer regarding availability of the part that was diagnosed (which may be a wrong diagnosis). So far, however, the car has run fine without anymore CELs.

·
Registered
2017 Volt
3 Posts
If this is the BECM, and I believe it is, you don't want to drive it. It's been a common Gen2 problem (along with shift-to-park), which I had on my 2017 as well. It resulted in unpredictable behavior with the AC cutting out, problems starting, etc.
How long did it take the dealer to get the part? My 2017 Volt has been at the dealer for 4 weeks now ;)

·
Registered
2017 Volt
3 Posts
I just bought a used 2017 Volt Premiere (51K miles) five weeks ago.

Three weeks ago it failed to start after I got off work. Everything powered up but it would not start or drive. The battery had about 34 miles remaining when I parked it but showed 0 miles at that time.

The dealer I bought it from towed it to their facility and gave me a POS loaner, spent a week messing with it and then towed it to a Chevy dealer.
Today I just learned that Chevy installed a new Battery Control Module and that took care of it, but they are also replacing the Active Grille Shutter as it keeps setting a code for that now too, so I have to wait another day or two.

There's a TSB for the Battery Module, I hope the new part works longer than the original!

They aren't charging me a penny for all of this so I'm grateful, but I can't wait to get out of this Hyundai Accent!
How long did it take to get the part? I've been waiting a month now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts