GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand there have been some updates to the Gen2 Volt's infotainment firmware over the years, and I believe only the 2019s update automatically over the air. My 2017 Volt Premier is scheduled for the standard recall we've all been doing next week, and I thought I'd try to check whether my infotainment firmware was the most up-to-date version. In Settings, it shows Software version 84089010. Any insights on whether I have the most up-to-date firmware?

·
Registered
405 Posts
My 2018 is version 84364939 and, according to the updater (I seem to have the ability to perform an OTA update despite not having an OnStar subscription) is the current version.

Since you have a 2017 model your software version may be different. I would ask them when you take it in.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Updates happen either to address a fleet-wide issue, or to address a specific issue your car is having. They typically don't just update to the "latest" for the sake of having the latest.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Updates happen either to address a fleet-wide issue, or to address a specific issue your car is having. They typically don't just update to the "latest" for the sake of having the latest.
Android Auto is a little funky sometimes. That made me think that perhaps there have been incremental updates/improvements. Of course, it's also possible there haven't been, or even the worst case that updates might make things worse

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You do not have an upgrade option?
I was under the impression 2019 vehicles have an over-the-air update update. Older vehicles I think get updated via USB, and I was under the impression it wasn't set up for owners to do it themselves. Am I understanding your question correctly?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I was under the impression 2019 vehicles have an over-the-air update update. Older vehicles I think get updated via USB, and I was under the impression it wasn't set up for owners to do it themselves. Am I understanding your question correctly?
I have a 2018 MY and it has an update option:

I don't know if it updates over the air but when I select this option it appears to perform a check and then returns the following:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 2018 MY and it has an update option:
View attachment 172261

I don't know if it updates over the air but when I select this option it appears to perform a check and then returns the following:

View attachment 172262
Maybe over-the-air updates started in 2018? Mine requires USB--if anyone has info on whether I could update via USB myself, and how to check whether I have the most up-to-date firmware, that's welcome.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Maybe over-the-air updates started in 2018? Mine requires USB--if anyone has info on whether I could update via USB myself, and how to check whether I have the most up-to-date firmware, that's welcome.
I can't say if mine updates over the air as I haven't actually tried it. It could be that it just checks for an update OTA. There's also the possibility OTA was added via updated software. I have a later version than what you posted. Anyway I think the best thing to do is as when you take it in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 2017 required dealer to update the infotainment system.

Maps are separate- and even though you pay a premium to have navigation built in, map updates cost a pretty penny and you do it yourself via USB.

My software update was under warranty, from when I also was having android auto issues. The update from a few years back helped mine a lot. What made it even better was a new cord and a new phone. Lol.

Just be aware, you'll likely have to pay the dealer for the software, and for the labor to install the software update - since you're out of warranty.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 2017 required dealer to update the infotainment system.

Maps are separate- and even though you pay a premium to have navigation built in, map updates cost a pretty penny and you do it yourself via USB.

My software update was under warranty, from when I also was having android auto issues. The update from a few years back helped mine a lot. What made it even better was a new cord and a new phone. Lol.

Just be aware, you'll likely have to pay the dealer for the software, and for the labor to install the software update - since you're out of warranty.
Interesting--based on your experience, it sounds like there is a firmware update but you think I'm likely to be charged both for the software and for the labor.

My Android Auto and non-AA Bluetooth performance with my Google Pixel 4 has been very good. Amazon Music is a bit quirky, but that may be a function of Amazon Music rather than the Volt's firmware.

Maybe I'll try to chat with the service people and see what they recommend and what it would cost to update the firmware.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Interesting--based on your experience, it sounds like there is a firmware update but you think I'm likely to be charged both for the software and for the labor.

My Android Auto and non-AA Bluetooth performance with my Google Pixel 4 has been very good. Amazon Music is a bit quirky, but that may be a function of Amazon Music rather than the Volt's firmware.

Maybe I'll try to chat with the service people and see what they recommend and what it would cost to update the firmware.
It doesn't hurt to ask. All they can do is say no.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the infotainment system won't recognize a phone via Android Auto, any tricks for getting a connection? I've had very reliable connections until today. Today it wouldn't recognize, and unplugging and replugging, or even turning off and back on the car, made no difference. On the next trip, it paired as usual. But I'm wondering whether there's anything I might have done when it wouldn't pair.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts