GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Volt.

When going through the settings “Software Information” I came across the following (see pics). Since this is a 2017 vehicle produced in 2016 I figured there must likely be some software update to it. Probably minor changes but changes non the less. How do I find the update and actually update the vehicle? I’m guessing it will entail using a USB stick. Thanks for the help ! Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
2016 , SERIOUSLY?! That’s it? No way to update via WiFi / USB / or Cel?
I consider this a good thing. Unless there's a specific reason to update my recommendation is to avoid doing so. Making an upgrade less convienent tends to help with that philosophy.

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Early 2017s were delivered without Android Auto. Once the Android Auto update was available, it was a free upgrade for all 2016 and early 2017 owners. So if yours has AA capability, you are already good. But if you only have Carplay compatibility, it is worth getting the update - even if you have to pay for it. It fixes a number of infotainment bugs that have nothing to do with AA.

FWIW, a friend of mine has a 2017 Volt that was built in March 2016 and did not come with the AA update. He had it installed later on. IIRC cars built after late March had the update from the factory.

·
Registered
792 Posts
There are four versions of the MyLink system found in the Gen 2 Volt (which is kind of unheard of).

They are as follows:
v1: 2016 (2015 builds) - introduced Apple Carplay
v2: Early 2017 MY (2016 builds) - introduced Android Auto
v3: 2017/2018 (2017+ builds) - introduced Marketplace/OTA app updates
v4: 2019 (completely different) - new system / introduced OTA firmware updates

Of them, v3 and v4 have some capability to receive updates over the air although success rates (based on forum posts here) is eh...

Any updates available to v1 and v2 will need to be done at the dealer or by using one of the other methods above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2016 , SERIOUSLY?! That’s it? No way to update via WiFi / USB / or Cel?
I know! I have owned GM products all my 63 years of life 11 cars and 3 trucks total. I have 2017 Volt and the over all tech interface is years behind my 2010 Lincoln MKZ.
I am so disappointed in GM. They need to invest into some software engineering from this decade!
After hours of screwing around trying to get texting to work with my S9 I give up. My KKZ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts