GM Volt Forum banner

2017 Traction battery loss of capacity

1723 6
I have a 2017 premier with about 53000 miles, purchased about a year and a half ago. Up until three months ago the battery would provide 13.9 - 14.3 KWH when depleted. Lately I have been seeing depletion at 13.1 - 13.6 KWH with an average of 13.25. I have used an OBD II with MY Green Volt app to view the battery condition. The spread between the highest and lowest charge levels is .01 Volt when fully charged. The battery should still be under the Voltec warranty based on mileage and vehicle age. Does anyone know the criteria at which a traction battery would be deemed to be replaced or partially replaced under the warranty?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Administrator
23,383 Posts
If your driving range drops by more than 30% under normal seasonal use.

· Registered
4,147 Posts
I believe it's 30%, which means it would need to be down around 10KWH.

· Registered
3,293 Posts
I thought it was 30% with Gen I and 40% with Gen II (which is this case) with it's greater range.

Reactions: supchrgamx

· Administrator
23,383 Posts
40% for the Bolt as well. Either way, the OP is likely not going to convince a dealer to provide a free replacement based on the OBD2 readings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.