GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to change the LT manual mirror for a auto-dimming w/ Homelink so I removed the mirror cover and discovered a part that some think is an Opal temp sensor connected to a 5-pin connector secured inside the mirror cover. There are 2 +5V and 2 -5V pins plus a ground. I was hoping to find 12 V for my mirror, but alas. Is this sensor, whatever it is, useful and operational. If I knew how to add a photo I would, hence the link to the part on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OPEL-INSIGNIA-Kombi-TEMPERATURSENSOR-SENSOR-TEMPERATUR-013231068-FS25-/361496562018?hash=item542adfc962:g:g38AAOSwPc9WzHib

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Probably a sensor for cabin temp, allowing the auto HVAC function to work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The 17 Volt manual says it's a humidity sensor for the HVAC. Makes me wonder how people are replacing their mirrors to get HomeLink but now missing the input for the HVAC. I won a mirror on EBay but was able to cancel it once I learned of the humidity sensor.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a premier model but think the differences are minimal. There are only three wires running to the mirror (all used by the mirror) so how can a humidity sensor be communicating. Humidity sensor must be located in electronics box around the mirror rather than mirror itself.

Here is excerpt from a guy selling mirrors that I bought from after sending pictures of mirror and harness:

"There shouldn't be any issues with replacing the mirror, as the only wires in your Volt's harness are ignition, ground & reverse. I would be concerned if I saw a data wire there, but very few GM mirrors have a connection to the data system in the vehicle."

I have replaced the mirror and see no difference except my new garage doors open. Easy mod.

Bob

·
Registered
449 Posts
The 17 Volt manual says it's a humidity sensor for the HVAC. Makes me wonder how people are replacing their mirrors to get HomeLink but now missing the input for the HVAC. I won a mirror on EBay but was able to cancel it once I learned of the humidity sensor.
The 16 Volt manual says: "The humidity sensor is near the base of the inside rearview mirror".

That's not to say the humidity sensor is inside the mirror itself. On the gen-1 the above quoted statement is also true. Yet the sensor is located beneath the base cover of the mirror. Take the old mirror off and put a new mirror on, and you won't disturb the sensor - which is a separate assembly that is not part of the mirror.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts