GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I got into my volt that has been running fine for quite a while and it said unable to charge, and started to count up the mileage guesstimate. In the end it appeared that it was fully charged, but when I drove it was stuck in Hold mode. I tried turning it on and off, and that didn't seem to help. I drove it about 20 miles in Hold mode and it acted a little strange. It had a hesitation at times, almost as if it was an ICE car with one cylinder that was misfiring. I also noticed that the air conditioning no longer worked. I tried charging the battery because I did have a problem with my 12 volt battery a while back and replaced it, but that doesn't seem to have helped. As I drive it it shows the traction battery as having no charge at all. I did stop it and start it another time and it showed the traction battery as fully charged, and the A/C started working, but then switch to Hold mode again almost immediately. Any ideas? I did a search and didn't see any other messages that seemed like this one. I have gotten no error messages, except for that one message that says Unable to Charge, with no reason. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the check engine light is on, there are codes to be read... (from the minimal information so far, it sounds like you are having the BECM issue that many others on here have posted above)

-Charlie
I think you're right about the BECM. I've also randomly had the STP issue. I bring in to the dealership on Friday ( the soonest I could get from 3 local dealers, and it's the farthest away 🙄)
Tomorrow I get my code reader from Amazon, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Codes are all BECM failure codes as noted in other messages.
U2603,04,05,06
U2617,18,19,20,21,22,23,24

Car is dead in driveway now. Was able at one point to get it started (engine running) by disconnecting 12v battery, then reconnecting and popping the hood, but now that doesn't work. Does anyone know if a tow is covered by warranty? Not sure how to get it to the dealership 30 miles away. Or maybe another way to get the engine started so I can drive it.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Codes are all BECM failure codes as noted in other messages.
U2603,04,05,06
U2617,18,19,20,21,22,23,24

Car is dead in driveway now. Was able at one point to get it started (engine running) by disconnecting 12v battery, then reconnecting and popping the hood, but now that doesn't work. Does anyone know if a tow is covered by warranty? Not sure how to get it to the dealership 30 miles away. Or maybe another way to get the engine started so I can drive it.
Go buy the most deluxe Auto Association plan you can, then call for the tow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What he said 👆

No conventional warranty covers towing to a dealership.
Yeah, figured that. Sadly the dealership within roadside assistance towing range (10 miles) has bad reviews, so I'm taking it farther away (30 miles). My roadside assistance will tow 15 miles, and then charge $90 for the extra 15 miles. I may go that route if I can't find a way to start the ICE.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
From the Volt warranty manual... the Roadside Assistance and Courtesy Transportation Programs are optional programs that may or may not be available to you. They are not part of the coverage included in the vehicle warranty. Perhaps you should call the Roadside Assistance number for possible towing for possible warranty covered repairs...

Roadside Assistance Program
Chevrolet is proud to offer the response, security, and convenience of Chevrolet's 24-hour Roadside Assistance Program. Coverage is provided during the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty, Limited Powertrain Warranty, and/or hybrid-specific limited warranty.

Consult your dealer or refer to the owner manual for details. The Chevrolet Roadside Assistance Center can be reached by calling 1-800-CHEV-USA (243-8872), Bolt EV and Volt 1-888-811-1926.

Roadside Assistance is not part of or included in the coverage provided by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. General Motors and General Motors of Canada Company reserve the right to make any changes or discontinue the Roadside Assistance program at any time without notification.

Courtesy Transportation Program
If your vehicle requires warranty repairs during the course of your vehicle’s Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty, Limited Powertrain, and/or hybrid-specific warranty, alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses may be available under the Courtesy Transportation Program.

Several transportation options are available. Consult your dealer or refer to the owner manual for details.

Courtesy Transportation is not part of or included in the coverage provided by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty. General Motors and General Motors of Canada Company reserve the right to make any changes or discontinue the Courtesy Transportation program at any time without notification.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was able to get it rolling again. Realized I hadn't erased all the secondary error codes. I should be able to drive it there now.
If you haven't gotten an answer yet, my volt did as you described - was stuck in hold mode, engine light on, odd surges when driving. Turned out to be the Mass Airflow Sensor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Volt is at the dealership now. Been there about 4 days. It had the shifting harness replaced for the STP issue, and is currently waiting for the BECM to arrive, hopefully today, so it can be replaced. Should be all warranty work. In the meantime I've been getting more use of my electric bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chevy has failed me on a) delivering the BECM before the holiday, and b) not providing me with alternative transportation. The car will be for a total of 2-3 weeks before I get it back. Luckily my generous neighbor is letting me use his car so I can be with family for the holiday.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought my 2017 from Carmax back in June. 2 weeks later I got the same symptoms as you. Thinking maybe there was a power surge over night I cleared the codes and drove it three problem-free days until I left work and the car refused to start. Everything would power up but no power steering and it wouldn't go.

Carmax paid to tow it to their location (and then again to a Chevy Dealer) and even provided me a loaner for the month they had it waiting for a BECM.

After I got it back I drove it problem free for a few months until I noticed one morning the charge indicator was dead on the dash. It said "unable to charge" but the battery was at 100%. It was fine that day but the next morning same thing except it only charged to about 40%. After that it was perfect for several days until one morning I got the "reduced power" message and a check engine light. I drove it straight to Chevy (out of Carmax's warranty at that point) and they had it another month except this time I didn't get a loaner and had to pay out of pocket to rent a car that month.

This time it actually needed #1 of the three battery sections replaced. I've had it back a few weeks now and all seems ok - I even have an additional 10-15 miles of range but most noticeably it seems to charge way faster. I used to have to set it to 12 amps for it to fully charge overnight (120v) and now most nights it does fine with 8 amps.

I'm hoping that's it for a while! I can fix most problems myself but I'm not digging into the high voltage stuff, especially with it being under warranty.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought my 2017 from Carmax back in June. 2 weeks later I got the same symptoms as you. Thinking maybe there was a power surge over night I cleared the codes and drove it three problem-free days until I left work and the car refused to start. Everything would power up but no power steering and it wouldn't go.

Carmax paid to tow it to their location (and then again to a Chevy Dealer) and even provided me a loaner for the month they had it waiting for a BECM.

After I got it back I drove it problem free for a few months until I noticed one morning the charge indicator was dead on the dash. It said "unable to charge" but the battery was at 100%. It was fine that day but the next morning same thing except it only charged to about 40%. After that it was perfect for several days until one morning I got the "reduced power" message and a check engine light. I drove it straight to Chevy (out of Carmax's warranty at that point) and they had it another month except this time I didn't get a loaner and had to pay out of pocket to rent a car that month.

This time it actually needed #1 of the three battery sections replaced. I've had it back a few weeks now and all seems ok - I even have an additional 10-15 miles of range but most noticeably it seems to charge way faster. I used to have to set it to 12 amps for it to fully charge overnight (120v) and now most nights it does fine with 8 amps.

I'm hoping that's it for a while! I can fix most problems myself but I'm not digging into the high voltage stuff, especially with it being under warranty.
That's a sad story. I hope you've just begun the happy ending!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts