GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new owner of a 2017 Volt I have been looking thru the old posts about 120 volt and or 240 volt chargers. I read something that seem to indicate the standard Volt EVSE for a Gen 1 volt could do either 120 volts or 240 volts.

Is this true? What about the Gen 2 EVSE?

If I need to buy a new 240 volt EVSE for my 2017 Volt, is the ClipperCreek HCS-40P, 240V, 32A, EV Charging Station still a good choice? What about the JuiceBox Pro 40A WiFi-equipped Electric Vehicle Charging Station (EVSE)?

Anyone have personal experience with either of those EVSE units?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
As a new owner of a 2017 Volt I have been looking thru the old posts about 120 volt and or 240 volt chargers. I read something that seem to indicate the standard Volt EVSE for a Gen 1 volt could do either 120 volts or 240 volts.

Is this true? What about the Gen 2 EVSE?

If I need to buy a new 240 volt EVSE for my 2017 Volt, is the ClipperCreek HCS-40P, 240V, 32A, EV Charging Station still a good choice? What about the JuiceBox Pro 40A WiFi-equipped Electric Vehicle Charging Station (EVSE)?

Anyone have personal experience with either of those EVSE units?
Yes, but you will have to wire your own adapter as there is no available one that will wire the 240V lines into the socket that the 120V plug would fit. You can for example buy the NEMA 6-20 250V 20 A plug and wire it to a NEMA 5-20R 125V 20A connector and you plug the OEM EVSE into the NEMA 5-20R.

If you need to buy a separate EVSE, there is a very good one for sale by WinChipper of Keyes as it is GM Approved Aerovironment with a 7.2kW capability, although the Volt would only use 3.6kW maximum, but it can be used for Chevy Bolt too. It sells for $499 for GM-Volt forum members special discount, while the price at Amazon is upwards of $549

Winchipper's post:
GM approved Aerovironment
32 amp 240 volt home charging station
Forum Member special
Volt 4.5 full charge
Bolt EV 9.5 full charge

25 foot cord

In door out door use

Works with SAE J1772 Charge plug

818 231-1286

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
^^^^The link above gives you all your answers about the Gen2 EVSE and ChrisTX is the contact if you would rather purchase the build your own adapter.

There are plenty of opinions about what EVSE is best. However if you are unable to do a forum search, do a google search and look at the gm-volt links for info and opinions on the other EVSEs.

I think once you have an adapter from ChrisTX for a few dollars and use the EVSE that came with the car compared to several hundred dollars for a L2 EVSE you will be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I did a forum search and like you said, there are plenty of opinions. I thought there might of been a consensus on the best EVSE, but evidently options on the EVSE's are like belly buttons, everyone has one. I'll go back and look at the ChrisTX post again, but they seemed to be fairly old from around 2014. I didn't know if the EVSe between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Volts were the same and could both be modded. I'll probably sendup with either a JuiceBox Pro 40A WiFi-equipped Electric Vehicle Charging Station (EVSE) or the ClipperCreek HCS-40P, 240V, 32A, EV Charging Station, with 14-50 plug.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I got the adapter from ChrisTX for my 2017 Volt EVSE and have used it at my Mom's house in Yakima where I had an electrician install a dedicated 50AMP circuit with a 14-50 plug (over-kill, but I'll be ready for future pure BEV). It worked just as advertised and I got a full charge in less than 5 hours.
At my home in Belfair, I just use the 110 outlet in the garage and that works just fine for me as often I don't even use the car for days. The Volt doesn't need fast charging at 240V for most people I would guess. But I am waiting for my electrician to show up and and do a 240V circuit for me for future anticipated needs (Tesla Model 3 perhaps).
l

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes, but you will have to wire your own adapter as there is no available one that will wire the 240V lines into the socket that the 120V plug would fit. You can for example buy the NEMA 6-20 250V 20 A plug and wire it to a NEMA 5-20R 125V 20A connector and you plug the OEM EVSE into the NEMA 5-20R. ...
Not true anymore. This product is actually made and marketed by our very own ChrisTx :

https://www.etsy.com/listing/384390572/chevy-volt-chevy-bolt-ev-level-2-charge?utm_campaign=shopping_us_IdeaFab_sfc_osa&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_custom1=0&utm_content=11634913&gclid=Cj0KEQjwxbDIBRCL99Wls-nLicoBEiQAWroh6uilDczgO0hFBAYkSAblKLntyjFIdzGeLSXVaP8z2W0aAmBf8P8HAQ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll try the adapter cord from ChrisTX. It has good reviews and is much more reasonable in price. My electrician will charge me $289.00 to install a 40 amp 240 volt circuit in my garage add in the price of the adapter and it's much less expensive then buying a new 240 volt EVSE.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the end I changed my mind and went with a 240 volt EVSE from Juicebox. I had a electrician install a 40 amp 240 volt receptacle in my garage and bought a JuiceBox Pro 40A WiFi-equipped Electric Vehicle Charging Station (EVSE) with 24-foot cable and NEMA 14-50 plug. Charging is indeed much faster with 240 volt charging. I will try to run the battery down to under 20 miles or so and see monitor the charging time. Right now the car appears to be charging at 15.5 amps according to the JuiceBox app.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts