GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in a hotel on our Thanksgiving road trip waiting to take my 2017 Volt LT to a dealer. We were driving cross-country and someone told us we had smoking coming from our car. After observing this happening only with the gas engine running, and when it revved up, I stopped at a truck stop to check it out.

There was what appears to be oil splattered all over the back of the car around the exhaust, and I put in well over a quart of oil to top it up. Since it was the weekend and no service centers or dealerships were open. I bought some extra oil and decided to see how quickly it was losing oil. The next stop (~30 miles later) was really the nail in the coffin; I put in over half a quart. More oil splattered on the back of the car.

I'm kinda dreading what report I'm going to receive from the dealership in the morning. I believe I'm still under the powertrain warranty, though.

Anyone heard of anything remotely similar? I haven't found much in my search. Other than the smoke and oil splatter, the engine seemed to be running just fine, no check engine, coolant temperature was fine, etc.

I'll update w/ results and outcome later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, very strange conclusion to this one:

The mechanic found signs that something (road debris?) had hit the underside of the car, and somehow punctured the oil filter. We were over 4 hours from our starting place, so it must have happened on the road, but my wife and I have no idea what it could have been; we hadn't hit anything or heard anything.

The oil was leaking steadily from a pinhole in the filter and pretty well coated the underside of the car, the outside of the exhaust, and that's where the splatter on the back of the vehicle had come from, not the exhaust as I had assumed.

They replace the filter and checked for further leaks, and we were back on the road for the price of an oil change.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
You got lucky. Now you need to take your Volt to a car wash that specializes in cleaning the undercarriage of road grime. You want to get that oil off the car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Weird, but possible, even though the oil filter is tucked up out of the way. Could have happened to any ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Weird, but possible, even though the oil filter is tucked up out of the way. Could have happened to any ICE vehicle.
Not exactly out of the way, it's level with the bottom of the car facing forward. Easy for a rock off a truck to bounce up there and put a hole in it. If it didn't hit anything else you might not even hear it. All my other cars were up much higher, in the case of my Integra there was just enough room to drop the oil filter down. Talk about protected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts