GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 with 29k miles, I purchased used a year ago and had my first STP incident a month later. Mine always starts with not being able to drive the vehicle. I can start it, but I have a CEL and as soon as I shift to D i get the STP message. At that point it also won’t shut off. But I never get it starting as a not being able to shut off. the fix a year ago included both the shifter Harness and the BECM.

Two weeks ago was the 2nd time. Same thing, again with a CEL. Different dealer this time, my regular dealer, replaced the shifter harness only, under warranty. I asked about the CEL, they said they cleared them all out. So apparently they didn’t consider them important to the repair. It’s been ok for 10 days, til yesterday I got it a 3rd time. Again with CEL.

This is feeling surreal - is it really happening? Has anyone else had 3 in one year, two of them less than 2 weeks apart? I’m trying everything I can think of, including coincidental circumstances, like each time it’s a very hot day in high 80s-90s. The last two times, the car has started after about 90-120 minutes, when the temp has cooled some and car is in shade. So when I called the dealer, I told him I was thinking of letting the sun go down and let the car cool off a bit to see if it would start, rather than tow it again. To my surprise, he said Yes, that would likely work.

90 minutes later I tried again, still no luck. I decided to try opening the hood thinking maybe it’s hot in there. I try it again, and This time the car shuts down and then starts, and I drove it home. I thought the craziest part was the dealer seemed to agree this would work. Does my car just not like hot sun?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had the Shift to Park issue. I had to take the car in two times. Chevrolet dealership service replaced the shifter wire harness and the problem went away for awhile but returned in a month or so. The second time I took the car in they replaced the shifter and I haven't had any problem with it since then. I am hoping for the best on this as the car only has about 31K miles on it. I hope to give the car to a family member when I eventually replace it, if the reliability holds up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If the car won't initialize/drive and you have a CEL, it's not the shifter or harness. The shifter/harness fix is only for being told to shift to park when trying to turn the car off because the car mistakenly thinks that it's not in park.

Those sound like pretty classic BECM failure symptoms, but you've already had that replaced. It's possible that it's failed again, or that there's something else wrong. It could be any number of things, really. Without knowing what the codes were, there's no way to do anything other than speculate about what's going on. Your dealer sounds incompetent if they replaced a totally irrelevant part and cleared the codes that might have told them the actual problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies, everyone. I’m waiting for news tomorrow from the dealer. I asked again about the repair two weeks ago, specifically the codes found, and they said it was a code that simply pointed to the shift to park issue, so they considers that resolved. This is different from what the last dealer service guy told me.

I’m not real mechanically inclined or knowledgeable, but I want to ask them so tough questions to get at whether they’re really finding the right diagnosis and doing the repairs that will prevent recurrence. I’d appreciate hearing any questions you think I should ask if they tell me they replaced the shifter and everything is fine.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Keep in mind that the "shift to park" error is kind of generic and basically says the car is not ready for action (either startup or shutdown). In a normal scenario, it's intended so you do not attempt to shut the car down while it is not in park.

The shifter/harness fix is as others described for the STP issue where the car cannot be shut down properly. I suppose it's possible that a failed shifter may prevent startup as well if the car thinks it's not in park.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I had the Shift to Park issue. I had to take the car in two times. Chevrolet dealership service replaced the shifter wire harness and the problem went away for awhile but returned in a month or so. The second time I took the car in they replaced the shifter and I haven't had any problem with it since then. I am hoping for the best on this as the car only has about 31K miles on it. I hope to give the car to a family member when I eventually replace it, if the reliability holds up.
I was in the same boat as Whatstreet, 3 times in the shop to repair. Third shop was different and they replaced the shifter under the HV warranty code after the first dealer did the harness twice with out fixing the issue. Countless hours on the phone with GM customer service telling me not covered and the final dealer new of the GM wide issue and the correct coverage. Won't be going back to the first dealer. The best part was the dealer that fixed it picked up at my home and delivered when work completed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drive the car home yesterday from Colonial Chevy I’m Acton, Ma, with the shifter replaced. They believe this will take care of it. Once again the code From the CEL pointed to this specific shifter issue so they consider it resolved. I don’t know if I’m asking the right questions. The skeptical, investigator part of me is telling me they’re not getting to the bottom of it, so it’ll happen again. Service otherwise has been good, quick, responsive. They washed the car for me which was a nice extra. I just don’t feel confident that I won’t see this again sooner or later.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was in the same boat as Whatstreet, 3 times in the shop to repair. Third shop was different and they replaced the shifter under the HV warranty code after the first dealer did the harness twice with out fixing the issue. Countless hours on the phone with GM customer service telling me not covered and the final dealer new of the GM wide issue and the correct coverage. Won't be going back to the first dealer. The best part was the dealer that fixed it picked up at my home and delivered when work completed.
Yeah it really seems like the harness is not working in every case. I've seen several reports were people are saying the issue still crops up with the harness "fix" installed and ultimately end up getting the entire shifter mech replaced.

Which is why I am not bothering with the dealer on mine. The logistics of getting my car to the dealer are difficult enough. Potentially having to do it multiple times is just not going to work out. Ordered my own replacement microswitches. Soon as they get here I will slap one in. I had ordered some about a year ago in anticipation I would eventually end up with the problem, and I did, but I've managed to lose the switches I originally ordered!

My 2017 hasn't been that bad though. In a few weeks it has only done it twice. Squeezing the shifter release once or twice cleared the message.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My 2017 hasn't been that bad though. In a few weeks it has only done it twice. Squeezing the shifter release once or twice cleared the message.
It tends to get worse over time. I'm taking mine in next week, as it happens maybe every 3 or 4 times we drive the car.

·
Registered
fortuner
1 Posts
wow... really helpful.. thanks :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I guess I’ll chime in as well. Bought my 2017 used in September 2019. Got shift to park when turning on the car and BECM fixed shortly after I bought it. Took forever because of the GM strike.

Been great ever since. However, in the last 3 weeks I’ve gotten shift to park when turning the car off a few times.it hasn’t done it in a little while now. Waiting for it to get worse then I’ll take it in for exhaust recall and STP at the same time.

Dreading it though because my lo dealership is awful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
2017 with 29k miles, I purchased used a year ago and had my first STP incident a month later. Mine always starts with not being able to drive the vehicle. I can start it, but I have a CEL and as soon as I shift to D i get the STP message. At that point it also won’t shut off. But I never get it starting as a not being able to shut off. the fix a year ago included both the shifter Harness and the BECM.

Two weeks ago was the 2nd time. Same thing, again with a CEL. Different dealer this time, my regular dealer, replaced the shifter harness only, under warranty. I asked about the CEL, they said they cleared them all out. So apparently they didn’t consider them important to the repair. It’s been ok for 10 days, til yesterday I got it a 3rd time. Again with CEL.

This is feeling surreal - is it really happening? Has anyone else had 3 in one year, two of them less than 2 weeks apart? I’m trying everything I can think of, including coincidental circumstances, like each time it’s a very hot day in high 80s-90s. The last two times, the car has started after about 90-120 minutes, when the temp has cooled some and car is in shade. So when I called the dealer, I told him I was thinking of letting the sun go down and let the car cool off a bit to see if it would start, rather than tow it again. To my surprise, he said Yes, that would likely work.

90 minutes later I tried again, still no luck. I decided to try opening the hood thinking maybe it’s hot in there. I try it again, and This time the car shuts down and then starts, and I drove it home. I thought the craziest part was the dealer seemed to agree this would work. Does my car just not like hot sun?
Here is the solution:
Has anyone else tried this solution?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I drive the car home yesterday from Colonial Chevy I’m Acton, Ma, with the shifter replaced. They believe this will take care of it. Once again the code From the CEL pointed to this specific shifter issue so they consider it resolved. I don’t know if I’m asking the right questions. The skeptical, investigator part of me is telling me they’re not getting to the bottom of it, so it’ll happen again. Service otherwise has been good, quick, responsive. They washed the car for me which was a nice extra. I just don’t feel confident that I won’t see this again sooner or later.
I am taking our 2017 Volt there later this month for a routine oil change and fluids check and emissions recall and I asked them to be prepared to address the intermittent STP issue.
I since found out that the Service Bulletin says that the shifter has to fail in 100 presses of the shifter button. So, I am not likely to get the shifter replaced.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If I do get the shifter replaced, I plan to ask for the old parts. I am pretty sure the problem is the microswitch at the bottom of the shifter button. But lubricating the shifter rod sounds like a good suspect as well. Use white grease. You can get it at a sewing machine repair shop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the dealer is replacing the shifter assembly but reusing the knob, you would probably still get the shift to park message. Lubing it worked for me, no message since.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts