GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some searching, but found mostly Gen 1 owners with this issue, minus Arcanox.

Got flashing "service high voltage system" messages and MIL lit. Disappointing with only 1800 miles on the ODO.

Called OnStar -- codes are P1E00, P1FFD, P1FFF. They said to service it "at your convenience..."

Unfortunately, it's not very convenient because the Volt now won't accept a charge!

Hoping to hear from any other Gen 2 owners. A quick review of TSBs could not find anything quite on point, it appears these are umbrella codes.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
As you know from reading the threads, this has usually been associated with low coolant levels but has also been associated with more serious issues like an internal leak in the battery. Lots of alternatives, so the best course of action is to use the second propulsion system to get to a dealer and have them figure out what the issue is.

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
872 Posts
Great find! Having access to these codes is very handy.

Still can't believe there would be a failure so early in the vehicle's life. Somewhat miffed about this, especially after my Gen 1 experience.
Yeah, I was the same with my 4000 mile battery failure on a battery that's supposed to last the life of the car.

'tis one of the reasons why I plan on buying another Toyota after I pay off my Volt

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got the car back -- yup it was the coolant sensor. Seriously, is there an issue with the manufacturing of these sensors? Having one fail 3 weeks into owning the car seems a bit ridiculous.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Just got the car back -- yup it was the coolant sensor. Seriously, is there an issue with the manufacturing of these sensors? Having one fail 3 weeks into owning the car seems a bit ridiculous.
I think it's more an "issue with the manufacturing of American cars" and the fact that quality control is lazy. My battery shouldn't have failed at 4000 either, and I also needed new spark plugs just before then because they were gummed up and causing rough idle issues.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think it's more an "issue with the manufacturing of American cars" and the fact that quality control is lazy. My battery shouldn't have failed at 4000 either, and I also needed new spark plugs just before then because they were gummed up and causing rough idle issues.

New spark plugs because they were "gummed up"? The 2016 Volt definitely had some issues, as is common with the first model year of most cars. But that's the first time I've heard that one. Combined with a battery failure, it sounds like you got a lemon.

GM & Ford build quality is fine. FCA (Chrysler) is as bad as ever.

I do think a lot of us got spoiled by the Gen1 Volt. It was one of the best engineered cars ever made. I always wondered why GM publicly stated that the Gen2 only shared 3 parts with the Gen1. To me that was a bad thing.

·
Registered
872 Posts
New spark plugs because they were "gummed up"?
Yeah, mine started idling like a diesel when it was cold out until the engine warmed up significantly. Could see the dash shaking. My dealer told me the plugs were fouled up (at 3500 mi), ordered new ones (the Volt uses specialty plugs, go figure), and it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yeah, mine started idling like a diesel when it was cold out until the engine warmed up significantly. Could see the dash shaking. My dealer told me the plugs were fouled up (at 3500 mi), ordered new ones (the Volt uses specialty plugs, go figure), and it fixed the problem.

Sounds like dealer BS. I wonder what caused the fouling and what they actually fixed to keep the new plugs from fouling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I always keep this handy: https://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/pdf/2016/16OBDG01 Hybrid Diagnostics.pdf

According to the PDF it's a bad coolant temp sensor, which may or may not be trivial to replace...I'd imagine they'll have to drop the battery for it, but I'm not sure. Will definitely be under warranty.
Does anybody have a copy of this? I can’t seem to access this so I am assuming GM has changed their service site around and broke this link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts