GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 volt and was notified of the recall "emission pipe may rub against ac hose connector."
I brought the car to my dealer (sunrise chevrolet, Forest Hills NY) on June 16th.
I was told it needed parts which were ordered and nonrefundable.. In early July I called to find the status of my case and was told the part had not arrived. On August first I get a postcard from GM saying I should respond to the recall notice and that as of July they had no record of my response to the dealer about the recall. On June 16th the service mgr said they would need to keep the car more than one day to do the work when the parts came in. Have others run into similar issues?

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
GM's database is rarely up to date. The postcard you received is just their best, latest address for reaching you regarding a recall. Note that recall notices apply only to safety issues or emissions issues/recalls such as the fuel recovery tube that may rub against the AC line, compromise the Volt's emissions control. The cost of any and all recall parts and labor is totally on the automobile manufacturer so don't agree to pay anything for the recall repairs.

If you want to reassure yourself that the emission tube really does need to be replaced you can visually inspect this area of the engine compartment yourself however this may require clever positioning of your cell phone to snap a photo or borrowing a mechanics endoscope which can similarly provide images of the emissions pipe. If the grommet that is supposed to keep the emissions pipe from contacting the AC line is in place, doing it's job then the need to replace the pipe may be questionable. GM will only replace the emission pipe if it shows significant signs of wear (subjective) else they just have tie wraps added to secure the grommet in place so it does not move.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GM's database is rarely up to date. The postcard you received is just their best, latest address for reaching you regarding a recall. Note that recall notices apply only to safety issues or emissions issues/recalls such as the fuel recovery tube that may rub against the AC line, compromise the Volt's emissions control. The cost of any and all recall parts and labor is totally on the automobile manufacturer so don't agree to pay anything for the recall repairs.

If you want to reassure yourself that the emission tube really does need to be replaced you can visually inspect this area of the engine compartment yourself however this may require clever positioning of your cell phone to snap a photo or borrowing a mechanics endoscope which can similarly provide images of the emissions pipe. If the grommet that is supposed to keep the emissions pipe from contacting the AC line is in place, doing it's job then the need to replace the pipe may be questionable. GM will only replace the emission pipe if it shows significant signs of wear (subjective) else they just have tie wraps added to secure the grommet in place so it does not move.
many thanks for the information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"If you want to reassure yourself that the emission tube really does need to be replaced you can visually inspect this area of the engine compartment yourself however this may require clever positioning of your cell phone to snap a photo or borrowing a mechanics endoscope which can similarly provide images of the emissions pipe."
I'd go for the mechanics endoscope, it would enable you to seek out the well-hidden corners of your car parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for all the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts