GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody get a rattle towards the front of the dash (near the windshield, I'd say in front of the cluster hood)? It only seems to happen when it gets colder out. I don't notice it above, say, 45-50 degrees or so.

A separate noise brought upon by cold weather is that the top of the seat back (top, a few inches below the top of the seat) squeaks loudly whenever I push against it (so if I happen to sit back to adjust, or even if I push on it with my hand).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have the seat squeak that you mention, MP81. I took it back to the dealer and they are replacing some of the seat frame under warranty as apparently this is a known problem.

My 2017 has many annoying rattles, the worst being somewhere in the hatch area at any temperature... like a wire hitting plastic over every bump. Its fairly loud and consistent too. I also have one somewhere on the passenger side of the dash in cold temps.

The interior build quality leaves much to be desired :S

·
Registered
807 Posts
This year I am noticing the rattle near the cluster (I didn't have it last winter). I have traced it to the chrome plastic surround in front of the DIC. When I press/hold that, the rattle stops. It appears to be getting loose on the side closest to the driver door - again only when it's cold and I assume the plastics contract a little bit.

I am debating taking it to the dealer but will probably wait until I have a larger issue.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
I also have the seat squeak that you mention, MP81. I took it back to the dealer and they are replacing some of the seat frame under warranty as apparently this is a known problem.

My 2017 has many annoying rattles, the worst being somewhere in the hatch area at any temperature... like a wire hitting plastic over every bump. Its fairly loud and consistent too. I also have one somewhere on the passenger side of the dash in cold temps.

The interior build quality leaves much to be desired :S
I tracked down my hatchback area rattle to the door covering the charger storage area. I slapped some single sided adhesive insulation on the door and the rattle went away. FWIW, I don't store my charger in the car, so that compartment is empty.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ditto the one-sided adhesive insulation (found at any hardware store for house doors) -- which stopped the rattling of the fuse box door panel on the left side of the dash by driver's knee. At first I thought the rattle was in the dash panel near the instrument panel hood -- when I put my hand on the hood, it quit rattling. On another thread on this website, some mentioned that it was actually the fuse panel door -- turned out to be true in my case also. Two little strips of the insulation and no more rattle! Very quiet now! I was thinking I was going to have to take it to the dealer and have them take the dash apart to find the rattle. Glad I didn't!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Anybody get a rattle towards the front of the dash (near the windshield, I'd say in front of the cluster hood)? It only seems to happen when it gets colder out. I don't notice it above, say, 45-50 degrees or so.

A separate noise brought upon by cold weather is that the top of the seat back (top, a few inches below the top of the seat) squeaks loudly whenever I push against it (so if I happen to sit back to adjust, or even if I push on it with my hand).
I have no rattles or squeaks on my 2018 LT, granted it's only 3 months old.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My first rattle developed in the past few days. Right behind the head unit display there is a grill for a speaker (subwoofer?) at the center of the dash, right in front of the charge indicator light. That grill seems solid, but something underneath that grill rattles whenever I hit a bump now and it’s pretty loud. Even if the car was running a normal ICE engine with some sound, I’d still be hearing this rattle.

It’s an annoyance, but minor in the overall enjoyment factor I get from driving the car. Hoping it will resolve itself/go away as I don’t see any easy way to access underneath there to address it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
My door panels (between the armrest and window) creak and squeak like crazy. You can tell if they're the cause by simply applying some pressure. I'm getting them fixed next time I have to bring the car in.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My first rattle developed in the past few days. Right behind the head unit display there is a grill for a speaker (subwoofer?) at the center of the dash, right in front of the charge indicator light. That grill seems solid, but something underneath that grill rattles whenever I hit a bump now and it’s pretty loud. Even if the car was running a normal ICE engine with some sound, I’d still be hearing this rattle.

It’s an annoyance, but minor in the overall enjoyment factor I get from driving the car. Hoping it will resolve itself/go away as I don’t see any easy way to access underneath there to address it.
The subwoofer is in the rear quarter trim, in the hatch - that would be the center speaker.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bumping this back up - is there a TSB related to the seat squeak?

I'm thinking of bringing the car in sometime to have the recall performed, and would like this taken care of, if they can.

I also wonder if there are any updates to the My Link system (marketplace/apps, etc).

·
Registered
64 Posts

Did you ever fix the speaker rattle? I have it too, when I press down slightly on the speaker grill the rattle stops.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think I fixed it, haven’t heard the rattle again!

I popped the top dash off pretty easily and after failing with weather stripping I shoved a microfiber towel in there. No rattle so far!

Edit: 2 days in and no rattle, stoked!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts