GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I bought a 3rd key fob used on Ebay. I still have my original two which are working fine, but young drivers are proliferating in my home :)

I followed the instructions in the user's manual (and misc Youtube videos) for the initial setup, but wasn't sufficiently "quick on the draw" for inserting the 3rd fob into the center console. The car made alarm noises, then settled down after a while, and then wouldn't turn on.

Fortunately I've seen this sort of scenario time-out after about 5 minutes. So I waited and then was able to start the car again. So far, so good.

But now when I subsequently re-attempt to program the 3rd fob, it says "Action required ready for Remote 3" and below that "Dismiss". But there seems to be no action that I can take. For example, pressing the car Power button for 2 seconds has no effect. Also pressing the center of the five-way steering wheel control, which usually clears "Dismiss" messages has no effect. All of this occurred when I had the 3rd fob properly placed in the center console, with the internal plastic cover removed.

One possibility is that the battery on the new fob is dead. But even that wouldn't account for the apparent different behavior between the first time I attempted this procedure (when the alarm went off, and the images matched what I've seen online) versus the current status.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a 3rd key fob used on Ebay. I still have my original two which are working fine, but young drivers are proliferating in my home :)

I followed the instructions in the user's manual (and misc Youtube videos) for the initial setup, but wasn't sufficiently "quick on the draw" for inserting the 3rd fob into the center console. The car made alarm noises, then settled down after a while, and then wouldn't turn on.

Fortunately I've seen this sort of scenario time-out after about 5 minutes. So I waited and then was able to start the car again. So far, so good.

But now when I subsequently re-attempt to program the 3rd fob, it says "Action required ready for Remote 3" and below that "Dismiss". But there seems to be no action that I can take. For example, pressing the car Power button for 2 seconds has no effect. To know when you should replace my car battery, visit #AutoGuysLand for more info. Also pressing the center of the five-way steering wheel control, which usually clears "Dismiss" messages has no effect. All of this occurred when I had the 3rd fob properly placed in the center console, with the internal plastic cover removed.

One possibility is that the battery on the new fob is dead. But even that wouldn't account for the apparent different behavior between the first time I attempted this procedure (when the alarm went off, and the images matched what I've seen online) versus the current status.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
I think you maybe contact the dealer and ask the instruction because sometimes the instruction is little different from the owners manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First, make sure that your "new" 3rd fob uses the same frequency as your other fobs. It will either be 315 MHz or 433 MHz. The frequency is shown on a sticker that is on the back of the fob when new, but if the stickers are no longer there (or no longer readable), then you can open the fob and check the FCC ID. HYQ4AA = 315 MHz, HYQ4AE = 433 MHz.

Now that you have the correct matching fob, when you are prompted for "Action required...", place the new fob in the depression in the center console and then press the Start button for 2 long seconds (seems more like 3-4 seconds to me) until the message disappears. Then wait. And wait. Until eventually you are prompted for Remote 4. At which time, pick up the 3rd fob and press the unlock button. It should unlock the doors. If you have a 4th remote, repeat the process, otherwise press the Start button for 12 long seconds (I usually go for 20 seconds just to be sure). Now you are done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI folks, I'm having the same problem. It seems that there's a lot of conflicting information here and elsewhere. I will be happy to post a resolution when I get one.

I have two US 2017 Volts and each has two functioning key fobs. Both fobs from both Volts are 433MHz (FCC HYQ4EA from the etching on the inside of the fob.

I bought two additional used fobs from ebay hoping to add one for each Volt. I believe I followed the manual instructions exactly with no success. I've put a fresh battery in one of the ebay fobs and also had no success. I've also tried the procedure below in both volts with both ebay fobs with no success. Here's what I did:
1) Put 2x working fobs into the cupholders
2) Performed the 5x unlock procedure with the metal blade in the drivers door lock. This successfully initiates programming such that the Volt display says "Action Required, ready for Remote 3" with <dismiss> below it.
3) Placed one ebay fob in the console indentation between the seats after the rubber mat was removed
4) Pressed the vehicle start (on/off) blue button for two seconds

After that, the Volt display goes blank after a few seconds. I've left the fob in the indentation for many seconds to minutes and eventually I pull it out and press unlock with no action. I can then press the vehicle start (on/off) blue button for 12 seconds to get out of programming mode but there is no indication of this: just that the car will start again after I complete the 12 second step.

My question is whether there really must be dealer intervention to program used fobs to a different vehicle? The manual surely doesn't say anything about that that I've found. If so, has anyone had success starting fresh with the full 1-hour procedure to program 3 or more fobs? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I may have found an answer after more searching. It seems that the likely problem is that because my two ebay fobs are "used" they have already been programmed to another Volt. In doing so, a few posts state that the only way to program them to my Volt is to have them set back to a virgin state (which seems to require the GM scan tool). So my next question is whether the "long" procedure for adding remotes (when you only have one working remote) will work here?

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Well, I may have found an answer after more searching. It seems that the likely problem is that because my two ebay fobs are "used" they have already been programmed to another Volt. In doing so, a few posts state that the only way to program them to my Volt is to have them set back to a virgin state (which seems to require the GM scan tool). So my next question is whether the "long" procedure for adding remotes (when you only have one working remote) will work here?
That sounds bogus. What you're doing is with the programming dance is programming the car, teaching the car the fob's secrets, not programming the fob with the car's secrets. (And, in the process, telling the car to forget about all the previous fobs.) That's why when you do the programming, you must have all the fobs that you want to control the vehicle on-hand to be recognized at the time of programming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply hellsop. I've continued my informal research and still had no luck. I've contacted a few automotive locksmiths and they've said the same thing (that a used 2017 Volt fob can't be repurposed to a different car). I also took my used fob to a place that had a handheld scanner tool. The guy there showed me that the fob was programmed to another car's VIN (the VIN was listed on the scan tool display) and that they were not reprogrammable. This would go against the suggestion that the car is the only party learning the fob's secrets.

This actually seems really stupid because everything these days has flash memory that is by definition reprogrammable, but there are actually still one-time programmable functions in chips so maybe that's what they implemented. It seems to be a huge waste to not allow a fob to be portable to another car though.

The relevant chip inside appears to be an NXP uController but that's all I could find out about that. Not very useful. So for now I'm going to admit defeat and call my Ebay used-fob purchase a FAIL.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Maybe this has been covered, but I bought a used fob on Ebay, and made sure that it was the same frequency as mine (433 mhz) and, had no trouble making it work. I think that as mentioned, the 2017 Volt programmed itself to recognize each fob.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Maybe this has been covered, but I bought a used fob on Ebay, and made sure that it was the same frequency as mine (433 mhz) and, had no trouble making it work. I think that as mentioned, the 2017 Volt programmed itself to recognize each fob.
Hi DonR, did you do the "add" sequence as described in the manual where you need two working key fobs, or did you do the longer sequence that is described when you only have one fob? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi DonR, did you do the "add" sequence as described in the manual where you need two working key fobs, or did you do the longer sequence that is described when you only have one fob? Thanks!
Man this thing is driving me nuts. I did the 30 minutes sequence and I am having the same problem as you.

My story is, I lost one of my key fob for my 2018 Volt, so I bought a used HYQ4EA 433Mhz Key Fob from Ebay. Every model number on the board of the key fob matches my original one. I did the 30-minutes sequence and was able to successfully re-program my 1 original remote, but when I moved on the Remote #2 with the Ebay remote, it just won't work.

I thought maybe the key fob was a dud so I bought another one from a different Ebay seller. The second one did not work either!

I know it's not the battery because I swapped the battery on the remotes and nothing changes.

Wasted a lot of time on this. I am guessing it's probably true you need a "virgin" key fob, and you can't reprogram a used one.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
618 Posts
Drop by an independent garage that has a good Autel or SnapOn scanner. It will take less than five minutes to pair new fobs, re-number, or delete missing fobs. I use a SnapOn Solus for this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I bought an "unlocked" key from eBay and it worked. For anyone else coming here from the interweb, make sure you buy an "unlocked" key, not just any used one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts