Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deal presented from dealer on in-stock:

2017 Premier in IP White (+995)
Driver Confid #1 (+495)
Driver Confid #2 (+495)
Nav (+495)
(Does not have the ACC but I tried it on another car and I would only use it on trips - not daily)

MSRP: 40,925
Dealer Price: 37,752

This is in Florida and no incentives other than tax break plus $1000 from utility company. Also, did get PO to apply on this.

Is this a decent deal? It was less than the Costco pricing I received if I order one but I don't have much else to compare it to, especially in FL.

Any input welcome!!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Can't give you a simple yes or no unfortunately...First is that the out the door price or the selling price? FL has notoriously high dealer fees often $800...The two known biggest deals are in NorCal and Mass...If you can get a better deal in Mass and pay $500 to ship but avoid a $800 FL dealer fee the Mass deal would be better...Then we have to take the PO into consideration...I just got one today, must take delivery by 6/30...Not sure if that can happen if you have a car shipped and no guarantee you'll get one in July...

The final factor is ACC, if you have everything else, $595 (MSRP, will get for less) is a drop in the bucket, consider resale demand...You'll most likely love ACC, you can use it for everyday driving, not just the highway, it can bring you to a full stop...

In summary, you most likely have a written offer and could use that later to buy locally if you want, I'd buy (preferably lease) an ACC car from Mass and have it shipped...If you don't want to deal with all that, just buy now and don't give it a second thought...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no! More things to consider!! So, I am buying in the worst state with no incentives and hefty fees....(but, what would you expect with Rick Snott as governor!)

To fill in information:

The price is the sales price. Items not included tax, tag/title, trade and PO.

I actually think they are generous with my trade at about $1500 over what another dealer would buy car for outright. And, I am crossing my fingers each day that I don't have an issue with current vehicle.

And, I never lease and usually keep cars around 7 years. I will be buying an extended warranty in a month or two as the 36 month is way too short for me.

Been given the "I am not making any money on this deal" statement but other sites stating GM is giving hefty rebates to dealers right now. And, this car has been on the lot for a while. So, my thought is they really are making money and it is about to be end-of-quarter and halfway year point so they may have a little extra incentive.

I have asked them to go about $800 lower but they haven't budged at this point since they made the stated offer earlier today.

·
Registered
741 Posts
uh oh, asking for "is this a good price?" around here will get you a) virtually nowhere b) purchase prices that are dam difficult to believe c) purchase tactics that sound unreasonable d) a combination of no holds barred tactics with a resulting unheard of price e) prices, discounts, tax incentives that are unavailable to your location.

if it sounds reasonable and the dealer straight forward and financing good.....

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
$3200 off MSRP on a new Volt is a pretty good deal. As long as there are no HIDDEN gotcha fee's I'd buy at that price.

Example: Last Dec I bought a 2016 Equinox LTZ (actually it was an order) and the dealer sold it to me for GMS pricing which was about $1900 below MSRP, then they gave my my military discount of $750 and then I got the $750 GM Cash back incentive when I took delivery in Dec. So my new Equinox LTZ listed for $33,805 and I paid $30,505 or $3400 below MSRP.

I did get a nice surprise at delivery they gave me another $2500 discount as part of the Volt Loyalty Program GM had back then. Talk about a nice Christmas present.

So you are getting a pretty good deal based on my experiences.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for weighing in....

I do think this is the actual deal as I worked back from their "out the door" price. I will post what I finally end up with if I do actually buy.

The problem is that there are a lot of posts with "great" deals but I never seem to qualify for all the incentives, etc. so my deal doesn't look as good. But, in reality, for my situation this seems to be the best scenario.

The Costco quote was not nearly as generous as this one so I think it is at least "fair" if not "good". For "great" I would need to live somewhere else!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
"I am not making any money on this deal"
Which means he is! Don't worry, that's not the dealers lie nor will it be his last...

I won't get into leasing...I'd get an out the door price to see what the fees are...Choice is entirely up to you...You need to decide is there a magic out the door number to make buying out of state worth it...Eg, after shipping if you can save $500 is it worth buying out of state? How about $1000? $2000? Once you figure out that number talk to out of state dealers...

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
If you get a Volt I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's a great vehicle.

Agree that of course the dealer is making money, some way or another. Dealers who don't make money don't stay in business. Also agree that $3200 off MSRP sounds about right -- it's about what I've seen from deals I can verify. Finally, agree that some of the reported deals will be hard to duplicate. As a reality check, it never hurts to look at cars.com and see what the best advertised deals are in your area.

I love ACC but as a practical matter Blind Spot warning is considerably more useful more often. I rarely use ACC but others, with different commutes, use it all the time. Seems like you understand your driving pattern.

If you do buy, if you're thinking about an extended service plan, don't buy it when you get the car and don't buy it from a Florida dealer.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is the $1,000 utility incentive from FPL?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was able to negotiate $4000 off a base LT plus apply the $1000 PO ($5000 total reduction) for an out of state purchase. Only string attached was I would have to go through their financing and make 4 monthly payments (at 2.99%) before I could refinance.

They added about $150 in doc fees plus I would have to pay $500 to have it shipped from California to Utah.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I was able to negotiate $4000 off a base LT plus apply the $1000 PO ($5000 total reduction) for an out of state purchase. Only string attached was I would have to go through their financing and make 4 monthly payments (at 2.99%) before I could refinance.

They added about $150 in doc fees plus I would have to pay $500 to have it shipped from California to Utah.
Did that $4k discount factor in any manufacturer rebates/incentives? Or was that a straight from the dealer $4k price chop?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Did that $4k discount factor in any manufacturer rebates/incentives? Or was that a straight from the dealer $4k price chop?
I didn't qualify for anything. They offered a flat $3,500 off and I said I needed $4,000 off.

They agreed to the $4,000 off but, I would have to use their financing for 4 months. No early termination fees, just a higher interest rate than my credit union.

Price was $29,271 after $150 in doc fees and a cargo net.

Keep in mind, this was an out of state purchase. I still have to pay $2,000 in tax, $500 to ship and $220 in registration fees.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I didn't qualify for anything. They offered a flat $3,500 off and I said I needed $4,000 off.

They agreed to the $4,000 off but, I would have to use their financing for 4 months. No early termination fees, just a higher interest rate than my credit union.

Price was $29,271 after $150 in doc fees and a cargo net.

Keep in mind, this was an out of state purchase. I still have to pay $2,000 in tax, $500 to ship and $220 in registration fees.
Ok, thanks. So this was a barebones LT? Not a Premier? Sounds like $3,500 dealer discount might be the best that can be done at the moment on an LT without jumping through extra hoops (like special financing).

Through USAA/Truecar, the best dealer discount I could find was just under $3k....deduct the $299 fee Truecar charges dealers for leads, and that would be another $299 additional discount negotiating without using Truecar. Trying to find a dealer that is willing to drop their pants for a sale on a Volt this month. I have a $1k private offer, $500 farm bureau rebate, and $1k in GM card earnings on standby.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ok, thanks. So this was a barebones LT? Not a Premier? Sounds like $3,500 dealer discount might be the best that can be done at the moment on an LT without jumping through extra hoops (like special financing).

Through USAA/Truecar, the best dealer discount I could find was just under $3k....deduct the $299 fee Truecar charges dealers for leads, and that would be another $299 additional discount negotiating without using Truecar. Trying to find a dealer that is willing to drop their pants for a sale on a Volt this month. I have a $1k private offer, $500 farm bureau rebate, and $1k in GM card earnings on standby.
Yep, a bare bones LT from Fremont Chevrolet.

You just have to put in a little effort to get that extra $500.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trigger Pulled!!!

After agonizing over the pricing, internal struggle over ACC, and rethinking if I should even be buying this not-as-practical-as-a-small-suv car....I DID IT AND AM SO EXCITED THAT I DID!!!!

The Volt is truly an impressive car and much more stylish in person than the pictures do justice. I just gave it a full charge overnight (the dealership told me it would be charged and, of course, it was on empty when I got there!).

After looking at the pricing others have received, got the COSTCO quote, compared it to ordering both in and out of State, I determined that I was getting a decent deal by buying the car in-stock from my dealer that is 5 minutes from my house.

Here is the deal:

STICKER
Destination Charge $875.00
Installed Options
Iridescent Pearl Tricot $995.00
Radio Infotainment System, Connectivity, Navigation Enhanced Safety Package #1 $495.00
Enhanced Safety Package #2 $495.00
Total Options $2,480.00
MSRP* $40,925.00

ACTUAL PURCHASE PRICE
Base Purchase Price 37,440.38
Misc Fees
Pre-Delivery Service Charge $595
Lead Acid Battery Fee $1.50
New Tire Fee $5.00
Private Offer $1,000.00
Total Purchase Price w/Fees $37,041.88
Tax (State and County) 1796.12 (Tax based on $9k trade-in)
Electronic Registration Filing Fee $40.00
Electronic Temp Tag Fee $20.00
Lemon Law 2.00
New Title 84.35
Total OTD $38,984.35

Also, definitely save the PO until you get to finance. They all (Finance + Sales People + Managers) totally freaked when I brought it out because they were sure that it wasn't applicable to their deal they were "already losing money on". I calmly explained it was a rebate from GM and they went to their office and went on their GM system and were able to verify the code and came back with their own print-out of the fact the code was valid and then took off the $1,000.

Combine the fact that I had worked on them for 2 weeks, gave them the PO and also had a friend who has been in the car business for 20+ years go over the car pre-delivery with a fine tooth comb, they were more than happy to see me go after 4 hours!!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Congrats....for a non CARB state that looks pretty good.....except that predelivery service charge. Wtf is that?? Don't tell me they added a $595 fee for something they are required to do for all new deliveries by GM (PDI aka Pre Delivery inspection)

If that fee wasn't there, I'd say you got a great deal. I would definite press them on that seemingly BS fee....it looks like a 100% profit padder with no added benefit to you.

Edit: if that fee is actually their doc/processing fee, then I guess that's not so bad. I hear those fees are ridiculously high in FL.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm...not sure but I was assuming the pre-delivery fee was the destination fee but now that I look at it, probably not. Honestly, I was negotiating with them on my OTD price line and not really the way I have listed everything here because that was what was most important. I think they were fair on my trade (especially since it has been a total lemon and I was holding my breath nothing else broke before I got it to the lot!).

I have found that some dealers like to put their "profit" in different areas of the purchase agreement so for me it is easier to start with the bottom line OTD.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
If there is no separate dealer processing charge / document fee, I say you are fine. As long as they matched your OTD price.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
For me on a 2017 LT, base, with heated seats the only option, It would have to be $4,000 below MSRP plus allow use of the $1,000 private offer for a total of $5,000 off.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts