GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overheating, towed to Chevy dealer.....

ALL these error codes

All recalls ( supposedly) done, recent 20K service, on gas, 82MPH, at the time ( electric already gone)
temp hit 240 at one point, slowed to a crawl, for 2? miles, even then she was sitting at 220+

Any ideas what they might find??

P0030, P0031, P00B7,P0403, P0405, P0443, P0458, P0489, P0597, P0598, P06DA, P06DB.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Did you take the cardboard off the front when winter was over :)
( I did that to my 58 chey in Omaha )

but how did the cooling tanks LOOK on fluid fill ? Was A/C still working

I have not looked at the error codes list -- any dealer updates ?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So quick update as ‘most’ of the codes were emissions they are replacing the EGR valve ... at 15K engine miles ?? Wow .. and trust me most of those are highway > 65MPH speeds ..... surely it shouldn’t be clogged , malfunctioning so early.

Then they are going to go from there ... which sounds a LITTLE like throwing parts at a vehicle until you got the bullseye ..... but ... what do I know !
The Camaro I have is bloody horrible... noisy , not THAT quick and thirsty as all hell ... and so cramped for. a 60 year old 🥴

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Edit: As I am in a rental vehicle since the day ( hour) mine was towed to the dealership, does anyone have any insight as to how the GM / qualifying rental vehicle works ?
IE Dealership (GM) say they can only cover me from today ... the day they diagnosed the vehicle fault ... even though 5 days ago
OnStar gave me 14 error codes and told me to park the Volt up ... which I did immediately?

·
Registered
42 Posts
So quick update as ‘most’ of the codes were emissions they are replacing the EGR valve ... at 15K engine miles ?? Wow .. and trust me most of those are highway > 65MPH speeds ..... surely it shouldn’t be clogged , malfunctioning so early.

Then they are going to go from there ... which sounds a LITTLE like throwing parts at a vehicle until you got the bullseye ..... but ... what do I know !
The Camaro I have is bloody horrible... noisy , not THAT quick and thirsty as all hell ... and so cramped for. a 60 year old 🥴
My EGR failed in a very similar catastrophic way at ~55K miles. I was on the highway when it happened and got off the highway. The coolant got really hot and the engine gave me the overheated warning and that I should slow down just before I got off the highway. I was driving at 80 with the AC on and it was hot out. I had also not charged the night before because I was staying over at a friends and didn't bring my charger and I had used all the electric getting there. So no electric, pushing hard, on a hot day, with the AC on when it failed. I also got straight on the highway.

When it happened, I exited the highway, turned off the AC, and drove it no more than 10mph to the nearest charger, keeping my eye on the coolant temperature. Once it was charged, I was able to drive it home under electric power with no issues until I could take it for repair.

I felt like I was probably abusing the car, honestly. But they fixed it under warranty. I have had zero problems with it since. But I think I would be wary of running it hard like that with no electric in reserve. It was probably the first time I have really done that. Most of the time, I have a charged car, and use the electric on non-highway miles when I know I will use it up either way.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting.....

Mines back now, I had it towed, she appeared to be overheating badly, and I was on a 400+ miles trip, plus return....

I've read that its the F3 'non walk home' fuse that blows, and that yes, like you its somewhat ok to run on battery alone, when this happens.....also to disconnect the electrical connection at the EGR valve?.... and to just 'creep' and keep an eye on the temperature,......I was too worried about overheating the generator to do this, my temps were fluctuating around 215-235.......much higher than normal, weird thermal expansion starts to happen early in aluminium...maybe 250?, so not MUCH room for maneuver !

Has yours been fine since,? this is the first major problem, although at only 25K.......15K on generator, its a bit disconcerting!!
I might add I's already done quite a few generator only, long hot trips......with nary a problem.......
My wife is trying to tell me well its ONLY a small 1.5L engine.......I try telling her, thats all we used to run, in Europe!!, plus my motorcycles are only 750cc.....and air/oil cooled, and I've run those engines for many( hundreds ) thousands of miles at 90+ MPH !!

·
Registered
42 Posts
No problems since... or before. I had done whatever service campaigns and various services. I have driven on 7 hour trips before at 75-80 (sometimes not saving charge for destination), and never had this issue, but maybe not on as hot a day. They certainly didn't seem shocked that it failed. The dealership had definitely seen this before.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I’ve researched and noticed a few now ... not at such low mileage though
Hopefully the new EGR is somehow an updated product .... wonder what shorts out internally ... or why ? All my servicing / recall have been done also .....I was hoping I DIDN'T have a Fri afternoon car .....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts