GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure my 2017 G2 does NOT get OTA updates, but strangely I noticed a few changes to the order of the MyLink icons and some added features to my built-in NAV last week.

Was it just that personalization bug some others have mentioned or anyone seeing some recent tweaks on their '17 mylink?

·
Registered
66 Posts
For what it’s worth, one needs to differentiate OTA for infotainment and drive system. At least in the Bolt,these are separate, as they should be. The infotainment system get OTA updates, the drive system does not. Also one must specially enable OTA in the Bolt. Wife drive the Volt so I can’t say about it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Depending on when your Volt was made it may have the late '17 / '18 radio (revision 3). This allows it to get the app store and some other OTA updates. Prior versions of the radio did not have this functionality.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
AND some volt years with a DVD and build in hard drive get Nav system updates that are FAR from free but available.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Funny you mention that. Within the past week I had something similar happen. When I started my 2017, the display said "Audio Off" with an icon of a power button. I've never seen that before: I use the radio power button regularly to mute but that displays a red speaker with a line through it on the DIC (so I know when I've done that). This was different, like the actual radio power was off. So I clicked on the speaker icon on the touchscreen and it went to the audio section and it was on Sirius/XM channel 1. Never seen that either: I always leave mine on 37 octane and never change the channel.

Mine was a 2017 delivered near end of 2016 so an early 2017 model. But clearly something unique happened within the past week.

Mike

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine was a 2017 delivered near end of 2016 so an early 2017 model. But clearly something unique happened within the past week.

Mike
Interesting -- mine also, an early 2017 build. I just dug through my settings, under "software" and found software version 84089010. Under the "update" section, there is no option to "update" just "save settings to USB."

Unfortunately, the infotainment manual is not very helpful because it is generalized and says "if equipped" your vehicle may be able to do OTA updates.

Anyone else know their software version? Unfortunately, I didn't take a note of it when I bought the vehicle. I went to the TIS system https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ and put in my VIN, but don't have the right tools to verify that I'm examining the correct module for updates.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Interesting -- mine also, an early 2017 build. I just dug through my settings, under "software" and found software version 84089010. Under the "update" section, there is no option to "update" just "save settings to USB."

Unfortunately, the infotainment manual is not very helpful because it is generalized and says "if equipped" your vehicle may be able to do OTA updates.

Anyone else know their software version? Unfortunately, I didn't take a note of it when I bought the vehicle. I went to the TIS system https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ and put in my VIN, but don't have the right tools to verify that I'm examining the correct module for updates.

What is listed under 'software' on the touchscreen is a misnomer as this number actually indicates the hardware version of your K74 HMI.

You are correct to dig further and verify your K74 has the latest GM calibration(s) according to your specific VIN you would need to use GDS2...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Somms! Very helpful.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
OTA programming updates for 2018 Volt & 2017 Bolt via K56 'gateway' module?

BTW: Every Chevy Bolt & Chevy Volts since 2018MY have had the capability to RX OTA updates for modules other than the HMI(radio) since the introduction of the K56 Serial Data Gateway Module although evidenced by the back to back recalls earlier this year in order to update the HPCM2 calibration(s) for the Bolt, GM has yet to take advantage of pushing OTA updates to modules other than the K74.

Thus keeping the GM service depts gainfully employed to continue performing these typcially less than 5min recall calibration updates!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
393 Posts
My '17 was built in February of 2016, and delivered in mid-March. It doesn't have any of the capabilities described here...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't know if this could be related ... my infotainment had suddenly stopped working. Around midnight I drive to work and 1hour and a half later, I start the car and no more infotainment screen. Completely black, volume knob home button and Fowrard/reverse buttons all non functionnal. Fuse is OK.
I tried to select source from the DIC in Audio menu but only FM/Sirius available (no USB or AUX selectable)
Only the steering control are functional (volume up / down , track/tune selction up/down until meaning the CAN bus messages are going to the unit)
The FM radio will play for around 8 minutes before dying in silence with few 1 seconds blackouts during this time. The steering controls won't respond at this point. USB ports will stop charging devices.
When I started my car there was no indication that something was updating. Just had a black and unresponsive infotainment screen.
The day after, I unplugged the 12V battery for a few minutes but this ain't changed nothing...
Since the infotainment was working as expected until now I wonder if this OTA update could have failed in my case, bricking my infotainment system.
The dealer will replace it since I'm on the b2b warranty (hopefully!!).
Still waiting for the replacement part to arrive.
2017 Volt premium

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
The Infotainment system on my 2017 GMC Acadia was updated a few months ago and now has several new ICON's for shopping etc that I find totally useless. Currently if folks expect Tesla like updates, they will be sadly mistaken. You are not going to wake up one morning and with an overnight OTA update suddenly having a new or improved feature of better performance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I picked up an early 2017 Volt Premiere CPO recently. I don't see an OTA option in the settings. Is there a way to check if there's an update and update the software myself? Or does only the dealership have that ability?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I picked up an early 2017 Volt Premiere CPO recently. I don't see an OTA option in the settings. Is there a way to check if there's an update and update the software myself? Or does only the dealership have that ability?
This ain't no Tesla ;)

There is no OTA update capability.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
The radio can do an over the air update. But, you have no control of it. It will do it if/when GM sends out the command. The rest of the Volt does NOT have over the air update capability.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This ain't no Tesla ;)

There is no OTA update capability.
The radio can do an over the air update. But, you have no control of it. It will do it if/when GM sends out the command. The rest of the Volt does NOT have over the air update capability.
Does Chevy offer a way to download the update to a thumb drive and manually update it in the car? Even my old 2012 PriusC lets me do that.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Does Chevy offer a way to download the update to a thumb drive and manually update it in the car? Even my old 2012 PriusC lets me do that.
No. But the dealer may be able to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No. But the dealer may be able to.
Lame. I'm not sure what the point is of having a setting that says "System Update" if it doesn't actually do anything. I tried pressing the "Save Vehicle Info to USB" button with a USB stick inserted but the command kept failing. I get not having OTA, but you would think they'd allow us to update it with a USB thumb drive (although I guess Chevy only really cares about selling the vehicles).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts