GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2017 Premier, if I use the air conditioner and don't run just the fan for a few minutes before shutting down the car, when I use the car again, I get a significant mildewy/wet dog smell from the vents. My impression is that while many cars manifest some version of this issue, our cars are particularly susceptible to it.

I usually remember to run just the fan for the final few minutes of my drive, but it would be nice not to have to remember that each time. Having done some searching, I understand I have a few other options:

- Some people have had success spraying Lysol into the air intake below the hood, though this is presumably only a temporary solution.

- I can have the dealer turn on an "afterblow" function, where the fan will blow for a few minutes after the car is shut down. Some comments suggest there is no charge for this, others report a charge, possibly that's related to the bumper-to-bumper warranty, which no longer applies to my vehicle. Do I need to say anything to the service department other than "afterblow" to specify what I want done? What might this cost me out of bumper-to-bumper warranty?

- There's apparently also a more involved procedure that involves drilling a hole in the evaporator and spraying in a coating that prevents mildew formation. I'm guessing that's not necessary for now. What would that cost me?

Appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,180 Posts
You can also use the phone app called MyVoltControl to activate the Afterblow feature. You would also need a wireless OBD adapter to work with the app. After activating Afterblow on my 2015, I never have that smell you describe. It works very well for me.

Reactions: obermd and niccolo

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 110k+ Miles
1,241 Posts
I believe that function is already enabled when the vehicle is sold in certain regions, but yes that's the solution. I also recommend using a good cabin air filter impregnated with carbon and/or baking soda. I use the Fram Fresh Air Breeze version, and it works well controlling any outside odors.
I have no problems with mine, and I live in FL.

Reactions: niccolo

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can also use the phone app called MyVoltControl to activate the Afterblow feature. You would also need a wireless OBD adapter to work with the app. After activating Afterblow on my 2015, I never have that smell you describe. It works very well for me.
MyVoltControl appears not to be available for Android (on a Google Pixel phone), though when I search for it, lots of other apps come up that seem like they probably provide the same functionality. Any recommendations?

There are a ton of wireless OBD adapters on Amazon, any recommendations for choosing among them?

·
Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,180 Posts
MyVoltControl appears not to be available for Android (on a Google Pixel phone), though when I search for it, lots of other apps come up that seem like they probably provide the same functionality. Any recommendations?

There are a ton of wireless OBD adapters on Amazon, any recommendations for choosing among them?
At first there was only an Afterblow app for Android, and nothing for iOS. So I borrowed my daughter’s phone and installed that free app on there to activate the feature. I don’t know if that app is still available.

There are cheaper adapters out there, but I know this one will work:

vgate OBD2 Code Reader iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 ICAR OBD2 Adapter Support Android/iOS https://a.co/d/iAhs9iC

Reactions: niccolo

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At first there was only an Afterblow app for Android, and nothing for iOS. So I borrowed my daughter’s phone and installed that free app on there to activate the feature. I don’t know if that app is still available.

There are cheaper adapters out there, but I know this one will work:

vgate OBD2 Code Reader iCar Pro Bluetooth 4.0 ICAR OBD2 Adapter Support Android/iOS https://a.co/d/iAhs9iC
When I search for MyVoltControl on Google Play, the top four results are MyVoltHold, MyGreenVolt, MyVoltLifetime, and MyVoltAfterblow. MyGreenVolt has 10K+ downloads, the rest only 1K+ and are all labeled "Early Access," which sounds like quasi-beta versions of software.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Even with AfterBlow enabled (I had mine enabled at the first free oil change) you may still need to use the Lysol trick. Start the car and run the fan only on low. Spray Lysol into the intake vents at the outside base of the windshield until Lysol comes out the vents. Wait a few minutes and repeat. Once you have a nice cloud of Lysol in the cabin switch to recirculate and continue until the cabin air is clear.

·
Registered
154 Posts
After finding my windows down after a torrential rain the night before, my Volt got a mildew smell about a week after that event. I mopped up as much as I could however it was cool outside for a few days after the event with clouds and the car never got warm enough to dry out the seats and carpet. A couple of weeks later I put my ozone generator in the cabin overnight with an ran the fan part of the time. One treatment got rid of most of the smell however it took another treatment a couple of weeks later to mostly get rid of the smell.

I have heard of AC systems having debris get into the condensation drain hose and causing a backup that must be ramrodded or removed to clear the blockage thus eliminating the backup that caused moisture retention. Many AC and detail shops know how to address the situation.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
948 Posts
Buy this. Online or at your local Toyota dealer. The foam goes up the AC drain tube. That tube exits through the floor/console area by the passenger's left foot. Once the foam is up, then drains out, you use the spray up top into the external air vent supply (take out your cabin air filter).

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I search for MyVoltControl on Google Play, the top four results are MyVoltHold, MyGreenVolt, MyVoltLifetime, and MyVoltAfterblow. MyGreenVolt has 10K+ downloads, the rest only 1K+ and are all labeled "Early Access," which sounds like quasi-beta versions of software.
MyVoltAfterblow is the original version of that app and is the one you want to use. He always labels them as preliminary. MyVoltControl ported that (and other MyVolt… apps) to iOS. (I am the creator of MyVoltControl.) In order for these to work FOR AFTERBLOW, you must use the OBDLink Mx+ (or Mx if you have an earlier one). Other adapters won’t work because they don’t support the SWCAN bus.
Barry

·
Registered
20 Posts
In my 2017 Premier, if I use the air conditioner and don't run just the fan for a few minutes before shutting down the car, when I use the car again, I get a significant mildewy/wet dog smell from the vents. My impression is that while many cars manifest some version of this issue, our cars are particularly susceptible to it.

I usually remember to run just the fan for the final few minutes of my drive, but it would be nice not to have to remember that each time. Having done some searching, I understand I have a few other options:

- Some people have had success spraying Lysol into the air intake below the hood, though this is presumably only a temporary solution.

- I can have the dealer turn on an "afterblow" function, where the fan will blow for a few minutes after the car is shut down. Some comments suggest there is no charge for this, others report a charge, possibly that's related to the bumper-to-bumper warranty, which no longer applies to my vehicle. Do I need to say anything to the service department other than "afterblow" to specify what I want done? What might this cost me out of bumper-to-bumper warranty?

- There's apparently also a more involved procedure that involves drilling a hole in the evaporator and spraying in a coating that prevents mildew formation. I'm guessing that's not necessary for now. What would that cost me?

Appreciate any feedback!
Never had this problem with my 2018 Volt.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Never had this problem with my 2018 Volt.
It depends on where you live. Hot & dry climates generally don't have an issue. Those of us who live where we get significant moisture in the form of rain and/or snow have to deal with this issue. I make it a habit of having AfterBlow turned on in all my GMs as it really does help.

Reactions: BarryD

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MyVoltAfterblow is the original version of that app and is the one you want to use. He always labels them as preliminary. MyVoltControl ported that (and other MyVolt… apps) to iOS. (I am the creator of MyVoltControl.) In order for these to work FOR AFTERBLOW, you must use the OBDLink Mx+ (or Mx if you have an earlier one). Other adapters won’t work because they don’t support the SWCAN bus.
Barry
That's critical info, thanks!

Too bad this OBD adapter is so expensive.

Did you see above that someone reported a far cheaper adapter working for them? https://a.co/d/iAhs9iC

·
Registered
79 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts