GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 2017 with ~80k miles is definitely into the 13s consistently now. I actually was in the upper 12s before the computer update. Since then, it seems to have a bit more range, but I have yet to actually take it to zero yet, so I can only sort of swag at somewhere around 13.5 kWh. It used to get a very consistent 14.1 and my range does seem commensurately lower than it used to be.

With all of that said (and as someone who leads development of an energy storage technology), this is fitting with my understanding of lithium ions and I don't have any particular worry that the car will suddenly become useless. I think the Gen 1s had so much buffer that everyone could really convince themselves that the batteries just would go forever. In my opinion, they were overly conservative so that owners basically never got the range the car was capable of (I don't blame them for being conservative). In Gen 2, they gave more use of the battery which means that owners got many tens of thousands of miles of extra usage before starting to degrade. And even in the degraded state, they likely will have equivalent battery use (in terms of percentage of range) of a Gen 1 until after 100k miles.

It's good to see that it's not just me.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My average is 13.2 KWH on a 2017 with just over 60,000 miles. I have seen from 12.8 to 13.8 KWH within the last couple of months. The capacity suddenly dropped from an average 14.1 about a year ago (~52,000 miles) and has stayed at the current average level of 13.2 since then. Average range is 59 at moderate speeds - only about 10 - 15% highway driving.
Mine was pretty sudden as well. I'm thinking the battery monitor may have some predefined monitoring setpoints which ratchet down voltage range as the pack ages.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This forum is always very helpful... Mine is a 2017 Premium bought in Feb 2016, now with 83K. Dropped suddenly as stated above and averages now around 13.6kwh. Last winter I was really concerned as I was only getting in the mid to upper 40 range on the guess0meter. But summer brought it back up in the high 50s. Still miss my 60s before it dropped. Glad to hear I am on average with other 2017s...

21 - 23 of 23 Posts