GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2nd time it has happened. Both remotes not detected. Changed batteries in BOTH remotes.
No Remote Detected! I used the back up key to enter the cabin and get it started with the fob in the center console. This is an intermittent problem separated by about a week now.
Any help is appreciated. thank you.

2017 Volt LT

·
Registered
106 Posts
I unplugged my 12V for about an hour about a year ago and let everything reset. Haven't had a problem since. This was based on my experience with my Prius that had the same issue before I owned the Volt.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you have any accessories plugged in? I would assume they are disabled with the key off but I used to have remote issues with my equinox when I had a certain phone charger plugged in. It would also make the TPMS sensors disappear if you plug in the phone charger. I threw that stupid thing away.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you have any accessories plugged in? I would assume they are disabled with the key off but I used to have remote issues with my equinox when I had a certain phone charger plugged in. It would also make the TPMS sensors disappear if you plug in the phone charger. I threw that stupid thing away.
OMG... That happened with my Chrysler Neon years ago... It wasn't a Belkin by any chance was it? Hahahaha!

·
Registered
37 Posts
LOL it was some scoshe usb charger thing. I had it plugged in and it would make the TPMS disappear and the remote be stupid. I tossed that stupid thing!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
LOL it was some scoshe usb charger thing. I had it plugged in and it would make the TPMS disappear and the remote be stupid. I tossed that stupid thing!
Probably only application where tin foil is actually useful :) (e.g. wrap the charger in tin foil to reduce/eliminate RFI)

Reactions: WhatAShocker

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, nothing plugged in. However radio interference or poor reception might be it.
Or a poor functioning receiver module. Maybe TSB-16NA-396 ?

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
Sometimes batteries in stores might have been sitting there for years. Check the best used by dates on a new fob battery. Also, make sure you didn’t reverse the polarity upon installation.

Reactions: WhatAShocker

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sometimes batteries in stores might have been sitting there for years. Check the best used by dates on a new fob battery. Also, make sure you didn’t reverse the polarity upon installation.
It's an excellent point!!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
When your "No Remote Detected" problem arose, did you try using the fob buttons to lock/unlock the doors after you saw that message on the driver’s display? Or was neither of your fobs able to unlock the door so you could get in the car, and that’s why you tried changing the fob batteries?

Now and then I will return to my car (a 2012 Volt) that I had just been able start and drive to the store with no fob problem, put the groceries in the back, then get in the driver’s seat, and the display will show "no remote detected." Other times I may arrive home, and when I push the blue button to turn off the car, the "no remote detected, press brake to restart" message will show. In such instances, I press the lock and unlock buttons on the fob, the door locks respond appropriately, and the car then responds normally and there is no further "no remote detected" message on the display... IOW, don’t know what causes the car to fail to detect the remote, but once it does (and if the problem is not really because the fob battery is getting old and weak), I have been able to make the problem go away by pressing the fob buttons to lock/unlock the doors. This somehow reconnects the fob transmitter to the car receiver, and normal functionality returns.

Sometimes it seems like a small bit of corrosion, and not weak batteries, prevents transmitter circuits from functioning properly, and removing, then reinserting the batteries (or wiping the cell battery with a clean cloth and reinserting) will correct the problem (and if the tv remote STILL doesn’t change the channel - it’s really frustrating when the volume up/down buttons work but the channel up/down buttons don’t - try tapping it on the side of the end table to see if that makes it behave better)...

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sometimes it seems like a small bit of corrosion, and not weak batteries, prevents transmitter circuits from functioning properly, and removing, then reinserting the batteries (or wiping the cell battery with a clean cloth and reinserting) will correct the problem (and if the tv remote STILL doesn’t change the channel - it’s really frustrating when the volume up/down buttons work but the channel up/down buttons don’t - try tapping it on the side of the end table to see if that makes it behave better)...
I had similar intermittent problems with both fobs, even after trying several new batteries. I cured it by increasing the tension of the battery contacts by bending them slightly. No problems since.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had similar intermittent problems with both fobs, even after trying several new batteries. I cured it by increasing the tension of the battery contacts by bending them slightly. No problems since.
Assume you mean the battery in the fob and not the 12v one in the car?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no further problems with non-detectable remotes. But if I do I will methodically try all of your kind suggestions.
1: try cycling the lock-unlock buttons
2: try bending the battery contacts in the fob.
3: See if I can get the TSB and get some insight as to whether it needs service or other avenues of repair ?

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
I have no further problems with non-detectable remotes. But if I do I will methodically try all of your kind suggestions.
1: try cycling the lock-unlock buttons
2: try bending the battery contacts in the fob.
3: See if I can get the TSB and get some insight as to whether it needs service or other avenues of repair ?
It will be hard to get the dealer to do anything if it’s really intermittent.

·
Registered
14 Posts
And therein lies the rub...
I had the same intermittent problem with my 2017. The car was still under warranty, and I simply asked my dealer to replace the receiver with the updated version. They were very good about doing this and resolving the problem for me.
My old part number was 13509518 and I suggested they install # 13595511.
If your warranty has expired, you can replace the unit yourself with the help of this video:
There are currently several listings for this unit on Ebay, most seem to be offered for a reasonable price.
If your unit is 13509517 replace with # 13595510, and if the # is 13510984 replace with # 13597910.

·
Registered
44 Posts
At home with the car in the garage we turn the car off, close the door and go inside the house. Then we wait 15 minutes and it resolves itself. 2017 Volt. (it only happens in the our garage, multiple times), No remote battery or 12 volt battery replacement required.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier Citron Green
47 Posts
I had the same problem for about a year. Vehicle doesn't detect the remote. I would slap the remote against a hard object a couple of times and it would start working. I cleaned, adjusted, and scraped the contacts, even scratched the surfaces of the batteries. I finally figured out that it was bad remote batteries, not low voltage but defective. I had bought a bunch of CR2032 off-brand batteries on line over a year and had been having the issue ever since, even after replacing the batteries. Two months ago I picked up some Toshiba CR2032 batteries and have not had the problem since. I suspect the internal connections in the off-brand batteries were making intermittent contact.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts