GM Volt Forum banner

2017 New foible discovered - Service Rear Vision System

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  BenjaminD 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Today I got the "Service Rear Vision System" warning on my camera display twice within about 10 minutes. It has happened once or twice before, but the issue was so intermittent that I ignored it and chalked it up to GM quirkiness. The rear camera still looks fine, and all the parking sensors work (I have the Premier with full sensors) but I lost my trajectory lines on the camera.

First world problems, I know -- and I still have a camera so I'm not too worried about this issue. I was only wondering if anybody had seen something similar, or had tips for me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes. Our 2017 Volt has seen the same problem. Not sure what to do about it as you said everything "seems" to be fine. Not sure if it is related but occasionally the USB with music does not leave off where it was and you have to select it again. Might be connected? We had the main touchscreen replaced under warranty when it quit playing several micro SD cards through USB adapter. Dealer said they were not compatible but they worked for 3 years and then stopped working .
Johnny

#3 ·
Yes. Our 2017 Volt has seen the same problem. Not sure what to do about it as you said everything "seems" to be fine. Not sure if it is related but occasionally the USB with music does not leave off where it was and you have to select it again. Might be connected? We had the main touchscreen replaced under warranty when it quit playing several micro SD cards through USB adapter. Dealer said they were not compatible but they worked for 3 years and then stopped working .
Johnny
Yes, the USB connection is quite finicky, and the FM radio (BOSE with nav) is all but kaput -- I use XM or CarPlay instead. Sometimes it picks up right where it left off, but most times you have to re-select tracks, which can be a pain.

I also read that the 12V battery can cause strange side-effects as it declines. I imagine that the Retained Accessory Mode etc. is pretty hard on the regular electrical supply. I know about Stabilitrak faults and related issues cropping up when the 12V is on its way out, and thought there might be a relation (having scoured some other threads) so I drove the car in HOLD mode for a little while yesterday to run the alternator. Since then, the camera fault has gone away, probably not to return for another month or two. My intermittent front parking sensor issues have also not been happening with much frequency as of late, so I'm a happy camper as long as everything [mostly] works.

Many thanks for your input!

#4 ·
Well I think the Volt does not have an alternator so I don't think it will charge the 12v battery any differently with the gas engine running. It has an Advanced Power Module which feeds power to the 12v battery like an alternator powered from the traction battery. (BTW, in extended range mode, the gasoline engine maintains the traction battery to a minimum level and acts like a hybrid.)

#5 ·
Yes, I know about extended range mode -- but have wondered whether or not the car had an alternator as I haven't ever researched it. Thank you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.