GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a snail mail from GM announcing "Your 2015 Chevrolet Volt is ready for a map update." It offers me a $20 discount off of the "list" price of $159.99 if ordered by the end of October. I'm tempted, but actually like Tom-Tom on my iPhone or iPad better than the complicated and non-intuitive Panasonic Volt nav system.

Seeking opinions and advice on whether to "upgrade."

·
Registered
309 Posts
I purposefully ordered my Volt without NAV with the intent to put a new 6" TomTom on the dash instead. It's a fraction of the price, comes with free lifetime maps, and gives me simultaneous Radio and Nav screens at all times.

- Get the TomTom. It's less than that map update, and will include lifetime free map updates.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think I will upgrade my 2014 for $140 if I get a similar offer. Not sure it is worth it, as I use google maps and apple maps on my phone for route guidance. But it does annoy me that highways that were several years old in 2014 are just cornfields on my Volt's Nav system.

Good luck with your decision.

GSP

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will upgrade my 2014 for $140 if I get a similar offer. Not sure it is worth it, as I use google maps and apple maps on my phone for route guidance. But it does annoy me that highways that were several years old in 2014 are just cornfields on my Volt's Nav system.

Good luck with your decision.

GSP
The letter says that the offer is available at www.gmnavdisk.com/chevrolet/mapupdate "or visit your local Chevrolet Dealership."

·
Registered
208 Posts
i'm not paying for all the "bells & whistles" thru onstar,as with my moto x smartphone I have everything onstar has except remote lock/unlock.
I have the free 3 year basic onstar plan and it is fine with me.
I have Pandora,sticher radio,and I heart radio and thru Bluetooth they stream thru my bose stereo in my volt just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did they say what date the map was updated? I have a 2017 (delivered 5/20) and the default map is missing a major intersection change that was redone well over a year ago. Since I go through there regularly, it is quite annoying. I plan to see if there is any provision for getting an initial update due to this error.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
So map updates are available for 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015 Volts. Still no updates for the 2013 ?!?! The maps are 4 freaking years old, plus I'm not aware of any technological change between the 2013 and 2014.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hah. $140 for a map update? How about $10 for a phone mount and Google maps on a smartphone? That's constantly updated for free.

Nothing like getting shafted by GM.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I remember this bit of scam when in 2008 when I had my Z06 - the nav was... for the most part useless. And if you wanted updates it was like 200 dollars for a CD that probably didn't have any points of interest you were actually interested in.

The ISO showed up online via one of my usual torrent sites, got it to work just fine... even then it was still useless. I can't imagine it being any use these days when more and more cars come with android auto or apple car play.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
What makes the 2013 Volt the odd duck? No update for it. Previous years and post years are available but no map update for 2013.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
2013 is the first model year after they switched from Denso to Panasonic. I suspect that it has something to do with the licensing check, in that the USB stick verifies the VIN of the target unit and will only work for that one vehicle. If that part of the original software is faulty they might not want an update put out lest people spread it around for free *GASP*

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone upgrade to the 2017 maps? I'm looking to upgrade but want to make sure my street exists before shelling out the cash. Can anyone that has the latest update check for me? PM me for my street name.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am not a big fan of the accuracy of any of the car manufacturers' OEM nav systems.

My father's Cadillac SRX will route us over bizarre mountain roads while Waze, Google Maps, etc. send us over more common roads.

And my new-to-me 2015 Volt lists restaurants in my hometown that have been closed for 8 - 10 years.

I doubt an update will improve things much.

Hans.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ordered mine (2017) for a 2014 volt from gmnavdisc.com 139.99 free shipping promotion plus sales tax, just installed it last night from USB stick, went well. Although google maps are far superior with their traffic info, I like the convenience of having the map integrated with everything else.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would consider upgrading if it had more POI's listed. I'd like to see charging stations listed as an option other than just gas stations. I get that new ones always come up and that they would have to constantly update for that, but at least something would be nice.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Punched in a 2013 Volt again just for laughs: "GM Engineering is working on the map update for your vehicle. The tentative map update release date is the first quarter of 2017. Please check back for updated information as it becomes available."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts