GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the car is trying to protect me from running out of fuel. However, the low fuel light hasn't even come on, the battery is fully charged and it's plugged into a Level 2 EVSE.

Combined range was still over 85 miles. That's more than the first generation Nissan Leaf full range! Surely a PHEV driver would know to gas up within 85 miles of driving.
Neither the remote keyfob nor OnStar would allow preconditioning for 10 minutes of warm up.

End rant.

·
Administrator
21,213 Posts
and...No model year!

End of rant.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
So your combined range is 85 miles, and your normal battery range is... heck... call it 45 miles. You have 40 miles of gas range then, or maybe as much as 3/4 of a gallon. Starting the engine and bringing it to operating temperature would probably use 20% of that.

Go spend ten bucks at a pump and fix your problem.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Go into your vehicle settings and verify that "Engine Assist Heat Plugged In" is set to off. If this setting is "On" then the Volt may start the ICE even if plugged in during preconditioning.

Reactions: microVOLT

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Go into your vehicle settings and verify that "Engine Assist Heat Plugged In" is set to off. If this setting is "On" then the Volt may start the ICE even if plugged in during preconditioning.
Engine Assist heat was off but it has to have a certain amount of fuel in the tank to allow for remote preconditioning. I know all GM ICE vehicles will disable remote start when the fuel level light comes on but a PHEV plugged into a Level 2 charge station should allow electric heater to run.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Engine Assist heat was off but it has to have a certain amount of fuel in the tank to allow for remote preconditioning. I know all GM ICE vehicles will disable remote start when the fuel level light comes on but a PHEV plugged into a Level 2 charge station should allow electric heater to run.
I suspect Chevy ported the code from their pure ICEVs for this function and then layered on the electric portion.

Reactions: microVOLT

·
Administrator
21,213 Posts
Vehicle settings are located where, please
In the Owner's Manual along with a lot of other great info.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I think you are absolutely correct. They probably borrowed the code from a Chevy Cruze.
That would make sense since the two cars were developed at the same time and the Cruze was used as the testbed for the Voltec drive train. It's too bad GM didn't make a version of the Cruze with the Voltec drivetrain for sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts