GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2017 volt is taking over 12hrs to charge using a newly installed 16 AMP 240v charger. Any way to fix this?
We just got the Volt, and had the 220 system installed professionally--I was hoping that someone would point out that I had to flip a switch under the dash board from 120 to 240, but no such luck.
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'll get a volt meter or better yet have someone with a meter check out the voltage that's getting out to the car and move on from there.
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if you want to know what your 2017 Volt thinks it’s been told to do about charging, look at the energy usage display in the center console. As your owner manual says:

"Programmable Charge Modes
This vehicle has three programmable charge modes. To view the current charge mode status in the center stack display, touch Energy in the infotainment display and then touch Charging at the bottom of the touch screen. The Charge Start and Charge Complete time estimates are also displayed on the screen. These estimates are most accurate when the vehicle is plugged in and in moderate temperature conditions."

Charge time for CORD reflects L1 charging (default 8 amps, 12 amps selectable). Charge time for STATION reflects L2 charging.

This screen will show the Charge Mode as Immediate or if it’s been programmed for Departure Time or Electronic Rate.

As flyingsherpa points out, a previous owner could have programmed the charging to take advantage of cheaper rates via Time of Day charging. You can change any scheduling made by a previous owner.

Also note the feature called "Location Based Charging." If you use Time of Day charging, you can set a default "home" location where, when you plug in, the charging won’t start until the programmed Time of Day arrives, but if you plug in anywhere else (at a public charger, for example), charging starts immediately.
It turns out that the professional installer screwed up the 220v installation. He's returned and fixed it and my problem has disappeared, ie, it is chargine in around 5 hrs. So, I need to activate the "station charging" mode and establish the 12 amp setting each time I plug it in? Or does the car know when it's being feed from a 220v 16amp outlet?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts