GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 110k+ Miles
1,240 Posts
Those are 120v charging times. If you're sure its operating on 240v (verify with a multi-meter), check the charging time of use settings to make sure that's not holding it back.

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
My 2017 volt is taking over 12hrs to charge using a newly installed 16 AMP 240v charger. Any way to fix this?
So... the EVSE is capable of 240V, but is it plugged into a dedicated 240V outlet?
What is the NEMA type for the EVSE's pigtail?
What's the NEMA type for the outlet?

Product Pink Font Material property Magenta

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My 2017 volt is taking over 12hrs to charge using a newly installed 16 AMP 240v charger. Any way to fix this?
We just got the Volt, and had the 220 system installed professionally--I was hoping that someone would point out that I had to flip a switch under the dash board from 120 to 240, but no such luck.
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'll get a volt meter or better yet have someone with a meter check out the voltage that's getting out to the car and move on from there.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
We just got the Volt
If it was professionally installed, it's not likely that is the problem. But if you just got a 2017 Volt, that means you got it used, and it's very possible the previous owner had set up a charge window in the Volt's software (this is done to take advantage of time-of-use pricing by your electricity company). So read your manual and look to see if there are custom charge windows set up.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
I do not remember but does the double pug in and out and in over ride time of day charging on gen 2 as well as starting the charging with no delay ?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
We just got the Volt, and had the 220 system installed professionally--I was hoping that someone would point out that I had to flip a switch under the dash board from 120 to 240, but no such luck.
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I'll get a volt meter or better yet have someone with a meter check out the voltage that's getting out to the car and move on from there.
Thanks
So if you want to know what your 2017 Volt thinks it’s been told to do about charging, look at the energy usage display in the center console. As your owner manual says:

"Programmable Charge Modes
This vehicle has three programmable charge modes. To view the current charge mode status in the center stack display, touch Energy in the infotainment display and then touch Charging at the bottom of the touch screen. The Charge Start and Charge Complete time estimates are also displayed on the screen. These estimates are most accurate when the vehicle is plugged in and in moderate temperature conditions."

Charge time for CORD reflects L1 charging (default 8 amps, 12 amps selectable). Charge time for STATION reflects L2 charging.

This screen will show the Charge Mode as Immediate or if it’s been programmed for Departure Time or Electronic Rate.

As flyingsherpa points out, a previous owner could have programmed the charging to take advantage of cheaper rates via Time of Day charging. You can change any scheduling made by a previous owner.

Also note the feature called "Location Based Charging." If you use Time of Day charging, you can set a default "home" location where, when you plug in, the charging won’t start until the programmed Time of Day arrives, but if you plug in anywhere else (at a public charger, for example), charging starts immediately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So if you want to know what your 2017 Volt thinks it’s been told to do about charging, look at the energy usage display in the center console. As your owner manual says:

"Programmable Charge Modes
This vehicle has three programmable charge modes. To view the current charge mode status in the center stack display, touch Energy in the infotainment display and then touch Charging at the bottom of the touch screen. The Charge Start and Charge Complete time estimates are also displayed on the screen. These estimates are most accurate when the vehicle is plugged in and in moderate temperature conditions."

Charge time for CORD reflects L1 charging (default 8 amps, 12 amps selectable). Charge time for STATION reflects L2 charging.

This screen will show the Charge Mode as Immediate or if it’s been programmed for Departure Time or Electronic Rate.

As flyingsherpa points out, a previous owner could have programmed the charging to take advantage of cheaper rates via Time of Day charging. You can change any scheduling made by a previous owner.

Also note the feature called "Location Based Charging." If you use Time of Day charging, you can set a default "home" location where, when you plug in, the charging won’t start until the programmed Time of Day arrives, but if you plug in anywhere else (at a public charger, for example), charging starts immediately.
It turns out that the professional installer screwed up the 220v installation. He's returned and fixed it and my problem has disappeared, ie, it is chargine in around 5 hrs. So, I need to activate the "station charging" mode and establish the 12 amp setting each time I plug it in? Or does the car know when it's being feed from a 220v 16amp outlet?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
It turns out that the professional installer screwed up the 220v installation. He's returned and fixed it and my problem has disappeared, ie, it is chargine in around 5 hrs. So, I need to activate the "station charging" mode and establish the 12 amp setting each time I plug it in? Or does the car know when it's being feed from a 220v 16amp outlet?
No, for 220 v charging, you need do nothing but plug in the car... the car senses the incoming voltage (120 vs 220) and makes the appropriate choices (for L2, ~3.6 kW charging, or ~220 volts x 16 amps). The language on the screen really just reflects whether or not you are using the CORD that came with the car (early cords that came with the car were capable only of L1 charging), or if you are charging at a public STATION (which in most cases would be level 2 charging).

The actual charger is inside the car; the EVSE (the cord from the wall to the car) could be considered a fancy extension cord with safety features (e.g., current doesn’t start flowing until the plug is inserted into the car). If you don’t use Time of Day or Delayed charging, just plug and go.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We seem to be talking in circles. Has the OP indicated he is using the stock EVSE that came with the car? Or is he using another EVSE that he wasted money on?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
If you need time of day charging to avoid peak electric cost hours, the Volt's ToD system works really well. I set mine to start fifteen minutes before and end fifteen minutes after the peak hours (deals with clock drift) and my Volt will charge up to the stop point and then resume at the start point. Set the car to charge as soon as possible for this to work.

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
We seem to be talking in circles. Has the OP indicated he is using the stock EVSE that came with the car? Or is he using another EVSE that he wasted money on?
We don't know. That was the first question he was asked. He did not answer that or other related questions.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
We don't know. That was the first question he was asked. He did not answer that or other related questions.
OP did say the electrician came back out and fixed the circuit install. If the circuit wasn't installed properly nothing would work on it given the opening post.

·
Administrator
23,122 Posts
OP did say the electrician came back out and fixed the circuit install. If the circuit wasn't installed properly nothing would work on it given the opening post.
But never answered what EVSE he is using, or what NEMA outlet he's plugging into. Not a very holistic picture.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
But never answered what EVSE he is using, or what NEMA outlet he's plugging into. Not a very holistic picture.
While true, OP did come back to inform us what the actual problem was. In this case it didn't matter what EVSE or NEMA outlet was involved - the circuit itself wasn't functioning and no EVSE was going to work.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The OP’s original post referred to a "newly installed 16 AMP 240v charger." I interpret that to mean a hard-wired unit, including a cable from the wall unit that plugs into the car, rather than a "newly installed wall outlet" into which you plug your own portable cable.

I also suspect the OP does not need to use delayed charging, but thought it prudent to mention that possibility, as well as location-based charging for Gen 2 Volts.

This discussion makes me more aware of the tremendous paradigm change that must take place if a transition from ICE to EV cars is going to work. DC fast charging infrastructure is only a small portion of the issue. Think of all the vehicle buyers "out there" who don’t really care to know much about engines or motors and how they work, and now there’s so much new to know about refueling the car. How fast is the car’s battery capable of being charged, both at home and on the road? Where in the sales brochure does it tell you that? Who knows if, for example, 10 miles per hour of charging is fast or slow? A recent review of the 2022 Bolt says the car is capable of L2 charging at 11 kW, but the cable that comes with the car is rated only for 7.2 kW. What does that mean to someone who doesn’t know anything about electric cars, but might want to have access to L2 charging at home for their new vehicle? The new Bolt is still limited to 55 kW for DC fast charging (although the DC fast charging is now standard, and no longer an upgrade option), so where in the sales brochures of the various BEVs can be found mention of DC fast charging speeds? Where in the sales brochures are discussions of "charging curves" and techniques for minimizing time spent at refueling stops when on the road?

There are oh, so many new things to learn about the process of refueling the car when buying your first EV.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts