GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

Has anyone picked up a left over 2017 Volt? What are you seeing for pricing and discounts?

I'm torn between the Volt and the new Honda Clarity. I'm seeing they priced fairly the same (around 27k for the Volt and 29.5k for the Clarity). IMO you get a lot more for your money going with the Clarity, but if I could get the cost of the Volt closer to 25-26k, then the Volt as a commuter would be worth it to me.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Ocean Crest Chevrolet in Warrenton Oregon has (3) 2017 Volts on their lot. All white. One Premier, One LT with leather, and one LT base model. The base model on the windshield is $28K and change, the LT with leather $30K, and the Premier $33K or so. I don't know if they will go any lower than that, but the $7,500 Fed. tax credit still applies. Here in Northwestern Oregon the 3 ton pickup truck and 2+ ton SUV's rule. Infact Lum's Toyota, also in Warrenton Oregon, has I believe currently 10 new Prius Prime (plug in electric models) on their lot with several regular new Prius models as well....

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Considering the fact that the 2018 and possibly 2019 Volt are NO different than a 2017, if I were out shopping for a NEW Volt I'd be looking for a 2017 and hope it's discounted to the hilt just to move it.

I bought my 2017 Premier with every option to include ACC in Aug 2016 and glad I did. I get the feeling GM is just treading water with the Volt/Bolt right now.

J

·
0 Posts
Recently picked up a 2017 Volt Premier in Southern New Jersey for $29,000 in early May. MSRP was about $39K. It had sat on the lot for about 700 days, which I learned after the fact may have been due in part to a small dent on the edge of the hood. It has everything other than ACC on it, and has driven like a dream thus far. Given the time on the lot (long even for a 2017 model), and the dent that might have been there before my purchase, it seems unlikely that this is a representative price for this car in any way.

My advice is always to look on the Autolist App for the full time on the lot and the price history of the car. Sometimes the price history shows what they'd been willing to sell the car for in the past, sometimes they leave it at MSRP, but it can be helpful. You can also sort by amount of time listed. It's great to be able to tell a dealer how much they need to make a deal with you or risk still having the car on their lot when 2019s start shipping.

While I think the Clarity is a very strong option, I was ultimately swayed by GM's history of reliability with a proven design on the Volt, and did not want to risk new technology implementation in a car that Honda just released, which would be expensive to service in the event of an uncharacteristic failure. I was also concerned that if the Clarity is not adopted on a wide enough scale, the dealer service centers will not support it, while almost every Chevy dealer in my area is Volt Certified for Service. I'm a somewhat unique case in that I will not likely need a more spacious backseat for 5+ years or so.

Don't get me wrong -- the Honda may be fine -- Honda tends to put out a very reliable product, and the Clarity employs a lot of the same technology that made the Volt reliable, such as liquid cooling and large buffers in the battery. If I'd had kids already, it would have won the day. However, the Volt does not feel small to me from the driver's seat, and I'm able to pick up a few friends for short trips, which is what matters at this point in my life. I also find the hatch and the ability to fold down the rear seats to be more useful for my everyday needs than some extra backseat room in a sedan form with a small passthrough.

I've found the pricing depends heavily on your local market and your dealer. PA dealers were simply not willing to deal. They universally seemed to have taken the approach to have 1 or 2 Volts on the lot, knowing only a certain kind of buyer would want them, and refused to take more than ~$2K off sticker. In contrast, 2018 base LTs were advertised at $27K in Maryland, so I think you could have gotten to $25K for a 17 LT.

One piece of advice -- get heated seats if you can. While they are seen as an unnecessary luxury in most cars, they reduce your need to use the heat vents in the Volt, which really will help maintain your battery range in winter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Keep an eye out for the 20% off MSRP sales they have tossed out there the past 2 summers. Thats how I landed my '16 LT for a screaming price. Sticker was about $35k. I was out the door tax/tags/title for under $30k. Picked it up in July of '16 as the '17 models were rolling into lots. I don't know if they will do it again this summer, but I'd keep an eye out if you aren't in a hurry.

J

·
0 Posts
Keep an eye out for the 20% off MSRP sales they have tossed out there the past 2 summers. Thats how I landed my '16 LT for a screaming price. Sticker was about $35k. I was out the door tax/tags/title for under $30k. Picked it up in July of '16 as the '17 models were rolling into lots. I don't know if they will do it again this summer, but I'd keep an eye out if you aren't in a hurry.
While it's always impossible to tell what car manufacturers will do with incentives, I think it's unlikely they will be that aggressive with factory incentives with the tax credit reportedly about to enter phaseout. That's all the incentive they need for people to go buy now, and they don't need to take any profit hit to benefit from it. I do anticipate seeing a LOT of Bolt/Volt ads, perhaps with some light factory discounts (maybe $2000 off MSRP or 0% financing) sometime around August/September so that GM can sell as many cars with the tax credit as possible in the first stage of their tax credit phaseout.

P

·
0 Posts
While it's always impossible to tell what car manufacturers will do with incentives, I think it's unlikely they will be that aggressive with factory incentives with the tax credit reportedly about to enter phaseout. That's all the incentive they need for people to go buy now, and they don't need to take any profit hit to benefit from it. I do anticipate seeing a LOT of Bolt/Volt ads, perhaps with some light factory discounts (maybe $2000 off MSRP or 0% financing) sometime around August/September so that GM can sell as many cars with the tax credit as possible in the first stage of their tax credit phaseout.
Where can I read more about the possibility of the tax incentives phase out?

J

·
0 Posts
http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/23/news/companies/tesla-tax-credit/index.html

This is a good start. Don't worry, your vehicle should be in the clear.

Add to this that the entire credit was on the chopping block in the legislature at the end of last year, and it's unclear what will happen going forward. GM and Tesla (and probably Nissan and Ford, but I'm not sure), have wrung out the credit for all of its worth, but Honda, Kia, Toyota, Hyundai, and other mainstream manufacturers have just recently entered the game in earnest with their first EV/PHEV mass market vehicles.

It will be interesting to see a) whether the tax credit survives the next round of tax reform, which is particularly interesting given its upcoming competitive disadvantage to American manufacturers b) if it does survive, how does the market adjust -- e.g. how does GM sell Volts/Bolts through 2020 if a Honda Clarity has a built-in $7500 pricing advantage -- can they cut the price enough to make it competitive and still make a profit? c) given the above, whether states step in to pick up the slack.

D

·
0 Posts
As to the tax credit phase out this is the best source... IRS Plug in electric vehicle credit

As to leftover 2017 deals I bought a 2017 2/8/18 with a $34,950 sticker for $27,537 before tax, plate and the $149 dealer paperwork fee. the $2,017 GM (Feb 2018) rebate and my GM card earnings knocked some more off...
After the $7,500 tax credit I'm under $18k out the door...
Bottom line I got lucky with a dealer that was hot to get off a car that was on their lot since March 2017.
Note I did have to rent a car and drive about 9 hours each way to get it but the car rental and gas are in the out the door total... But of course I did spend a day on the road but it also was a day off work :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm an early Volt adopter, who spent the last two weeks trying to buy a slightly used second generation Volt in SoCal. I also looked at one left over 2017. But their best deal on it was 4k off sticker. That was not as good as most of the new 2018's. The leftover also had 2k worth of goofy optional wheels.

I met a number of shysters, and some helpful dealers and also no haggle CarMax. I even found a nice 2017 with 2,000 miles on it at a Chevy dealer, but they wanted the equivalent to new money and that car felt weird - hard to explain, but my wife felt it too. And I suspected the CarMax price was equal to a new car.

So, I visited my local Chevy dealer - the same place I'd leased Volts since 2012. I didn't want to lease this time, but since I don't qualify for the Federal rebate unless I lease, I once again leased.

The dealer gave me 8,000 in rebates, plus I think 5,900 from the Feds went into the lease. And then, I get back between 1,500 and 3,000 from California. This was a deal too good to pass up, and appreciably better than the used car deals being offered, when you factor in the rebates that you don't get with a used car. Once again my gas savings will pay for most of the lease. Love that new car smell...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Where can I read more about the possibility of the tax incentives phase out?[/QUOTE]

You're ok. Its not going to reach phaseout in 2018. Total sales since 2010 to May 2018 are 139,503. Phaseout doesn't begin till 200k sales.

S

·
0 Posts
I'm an early Volt adopter, who spent the last two weeks trying to buy a slightly used second generation Volt in SoCal. I also looked at one left over 2017. But their best deal on it was 4k off sticker. That was not as good as most of the new 2018's. The leftover also had 2k worth of goofy optional wheels.

I met a number of shysters, and some helpful dealers and also no haggle CarMax. I even found a nice 2017 with 2,000 miles on it at a Chevy dealer, but they wanted the equivalent to new money and that car felt weird - hard to explain, but my wife felt it too. And I suspected the CarMax price was equal to a new car.

So, I visited my local Chevy dealer - the same place I'd leased Volts since 2012. I didn't want to lease this time, but since I don't qualify for the Federal rebate unless I lease, I once again leased.

The dealer gave me 8,000 in rebates, plus I think 5,900 from the Feds went into the lease. And then, I get back between 1,500 and 3,000 from California. This was a deal too good to pass up, and appreciably better than the used car deals being offered, when you factor in the rebates that you don't get with a used car. Once again my gas savings will pay for most of the lease. Love that new car smell...
Mind sharing which dealer? I've had nothing but bad deal offers and experiences in socal so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts

You're ok. Its not going to reach phaseout in 2018. Total sales since 2010 to May 2018 are 139,503. Phaseout doesn't begin till 200k sales.
I don't think that's anywhere close to correct. GM will likely hit the number Q4 2018 or Q1 2019 with the way sales are going this year.

http://evadoption.com/ev-sales/federal-ev-tax-credit-phase-out-tracker-by-automaker/

Now, the law could be changed when two American automakers hit the limit this year and a bunch of foreign owned manufacturers are still getting the full benefit, but the wheels of legislature move very slowly indeed. So I wouldn't count on anything changing on it.

J

·
0 Posts
I think that might be Volt sales only. I think I've read that they were closer to 170,000 as of February 2018, but can't seem to find the article I remember reading, so well could be wrong. Have to remember that the Bolt and Spark EV sales also count against this number as well.

But you are okay regardless. Even after they hit 200K, I believe they're given another quarter to sell as many as they want with the full credit, and they've not yet hit it.

As for the future of the law (not applicable to 2018 sales), I think the program either gets entirely scrapped or the number gets raised. If they keep it at 200K, almost no American manufacturers will benefit from it, as it seems Ford has basically abandoned EVs, and Chrysler (to the extent they are American) only makes the Pacifica PHEV.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Here in Oregon, with no sales tax, if one can buy a leftover 2017 Volt LT for $25,000 and can qualify for the $7,500 Fed. Tax Credit, final price with reg/license/ title etc would be around $18,000, which would make it in the same price range or even lower for a new Civic or Corolla. The Volt LT, at this price, would have more technology per dollar, in my opinion, than any car on earth...

J

·
0 Posts
Here in Oregon, with no sales tax, if one can buy a leftover 2017 Volt LT for $25,000 and can qualify for the $7,500 Fed. Tax Credit, final price with reg/license/ title etc would be around $18,000, which would make it in the same price range or even lower for a new Civic or Corolla. The Volt LT, at this price, would have more technology per dollar, in my opinion, than any car on earth...
$25K seems a little low to me, but could be possible. I think $26.5K-$27K is a more realistic bargain price on a 2017 LT.

But your point still stands. In fact, to get real smartphone integration systems on a Civic, you'd have to jump up a few trims, and would be spending about $21.5K anyway, and Honda generally doesn't offer much of a "deal" off MSRP at the dealer. There are some compromises in the Volt versus these cars, mostly in the much smaller back seat, but the Volt is worlds ahead in driving manners, efficiency, and maintenance costs.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
This. We did the same after the 20% offer in July ‘16, and with an additional discount got our 6 months on the lot white ‘16 premier listed at 38.5 for about 30, including an added 7 year extended warranty, then later got back our $7500 federal credit on top of that. My advice is wait and see over the next 45 days or so as to what is offered in terms of incentives to move the ‘17s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am picking up my new 2017 Volt LT with leather on Saturday from Gengras Chevrolet in E. Hartford. I had been looking at used ones for a few weeks before it dawned on me to check for 17' leftovers. My final price after rebates and taxes was just under $30k not including the federal rebate. Glad I went this route I almost spent the same a few weeks before on a used premier without the rebates.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm still looking at a 2017. Found one for 26k, Volt LT, black leather, Convenience Package I (or whatever its called). It's a steal, but still torn between the Chevy and the Honda since the Clarity is more car for a growing family and includes standard tech safety features.

Do I get the Volt for dirt cheap or pay another 4k for the Honda. Decisions, decisions.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts