GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the hardware store, I tried to start my 2017 Volt. It said NO REMOTE. After a few tries with the fob in the emergency area, it finally started. I get home, replace fob battery, try other fob, nothing.

Anyone else see this? Is there a way to 'reboot' the car other than disconnecting the battery?

Did you have to go to the dealer to fix it?

It's my first significant issue with our Volts. At this point I trust GM key switches a hellavu lot more than radio control.

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts
Do you have any accessory plugged into a live 12V outlet? Some power bricks can cause radio interference with things like the TPMS. Maybe the remote too?

Si you are saying both your fobs will not work with your car, even after putting a new battery in one?

This is what a warranty is for. It's either a defective fob (but two at the same time seems suspicious), or more likely the receiver located behind the rear view mirror has a loose connection or simply failed.

For the record, my Volt and Bolt fobs have been problem-free.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any accessory plugged into a live 12V outlet? Some power bricks can cause radio interference with things like the TPMS. Maybe the remote too?

Si you are saying both your fobs will not work with your car, even after putting a new battery in one?

This is what a warranty is for. It's either a defective fob (but two at the same time seems suspicious), or more likely the receiver located behind the rear view mirror has a loose connection or simply failed.

For the record, my Volt and Bolt fobs have been problem-free.
No, nothing plugged into the car, not even an iPhone, but I did have my iPhone with me (unusual event, I seldom carry a phone).

Yes, while it was unlikely to be the battery, I replaced the battery, and still no response whatsoever from the either of the 2 fobs for the 2017.

Now more to the story. My son had followed me to the hardware store in the 2016 Volt. I did not think anything of it at the time since we park the cars together every day.

He started his 2016 first at the store, then I could not start my 2017. He drove to his friend's house. When he went to start his 2016 around 10 PM to go home from his friend's, his car freaked out too. Gave all kinds of electronic errors.

I have a hunch the two are related. Neither car has had any trouble before, then suddenly both have start-cycle errors after being parked and started in close proximity at the same time?

When it gets light outside, I guess I disconnect the batteries for 30 minutes and start them one at a time.

(trivia - why two cars at the hardware store? He has to build a trebuchet for school so I was going to help him figure out what materials he would need. Then he was going over to his friend's in the same vicinity, and I was going back home.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same thing happened to me about three weeks ago. Car suddenly stopped recognizing FOB in car - one morning on way to work, after pressing start button, car says “no remote” detected. Same thing with other key.

Wife proceeds to remove the battery in the FOB, then puts it back in - voila - car started.

I took car into dealership once it was started. On the way the car informed me again, while I was driving, that there was no remote detected in car.

Anyway, once I get to the dealer they take both keys, and updated something in the car. Apparently this is a known issue in the Cruze, but this was a first they had seen for the Volt...

So all fixed now, but I worry every time I get in the car now!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I’m guessing you’ve had two of your Volts starting at the same time in close proximity before? Wonder if the transmitters in the fobs cross over to the other Volt and cause some lasting electronic confusion? I know you got home, probably out of range of the other Volt transmitter and still nothing. It is strange, I did experience key fob problems a few times in the first few months of my Volt ownership, once at a strip mall (thinking some store had a frequency transmitting causing interference) but it eventually worked after a few tries. Another time or two when it was raining, car was wet. Again, eventually started after a few attempts. Think the water had something to do with it...not certain however.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen any issues, knocking on wood.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2017 fixed itself after it's overnight charging. Both fobs work to unlock doors and start car without me doing anything.

2016 still has a CEL but otherwise fine this AM. Could have been a large coincidence. OnStar will not function in the 2016, then after test driving it 5 miles the CEL went out and everything is good but OnStar.

However, the OnStar RED emergency button works. The OnStar tech said to push the button, and 20 minutes later a Sheriff's car shows up. :D

·
Registered
872 Posts
2017 fixed itself after it's overnight charging. Both fobs work to unlock doors and start car without me doing anything.

2016 still has a CEL but otherwise fine this AM. Could have been a large coincidence. OnStar will not function in the 2016, then after test driving it 5 miles the CEL went out and everything is good but OnStar.

However, the OnStar RED emergency button works. The OnStar tech said to push the button, and 20 minutes later a Sheriff's car shows up. :D
Starting them both in direct vicinity of each other won't cause any problems. It sounds like the 2016 may have had a low 12v battery issue (all of the errors), or some sort of computer glitch like mine did when I remote started it too soon after shutting it off.

There may be an intermittent problem with your 2017's remote receiver. Some of the 2017s have had issues with it, and it's usually intermittent, so if you have a problem with the fob again, take it to the dealer and they'll fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Some of the 2017s have had issues with it, and it's usually intermittent, so if you have a problem with the fob again, take it to the dealer and they'll fix it under warranty.
This is something for all of us to keep in mind while under the B2B warranty period. If I see this happen again I will take a pic of the message in the DIC and bring it to the dealer for receiver replacement.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Sounds like RF interference in the vicinity of the store. Do they have some kind of high-power transmitter or cell tower near there? Ham radio?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

Next time they are not working check the sky for those black helicopters...:)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've had this happen once in my 2013 and once in my wife's 2016. Did not replace the fob battery and have not had it happen again. I think it was just a random fluke glitch. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is happening on a regular basis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts