GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the 2017 Volt has the same Key FOB programing steps as the Gen 1 Volt?

Do you need two metallic keys (step 2 and 3) for the process to work?

Programming with a Recognized Transmitter

A new transmitter can be programmed to the vehicle when there is one recognized transmitter. For vehicles sold in Canada, two recognized transmitters are required to program a new transmitter. To program, the vehicle must be off and all of the transmitters, both currently recognized and new, must be in the vehicle.

1. Place the recognized transmitter(s) in the cupholder.

2. Insert the vehicle key of the new transmitter into the key lock cylinder on the outside of the driver door and turn the key to the unlock position five times within 10 seconds.

The Driver Information Center (DIC) displays READY FOR REMOTE #2, 3, 4 or 5.

3. Remove the rubber mat in the instrument panel storage. Extend the key blade on the new transmitter and insert the key blade into the transmitter slot.

4. Press and hold the POWER button on the center stack for two seconds. When the transmitter is programmed, the DIC will show that it is ready to program the next transmitter.

5. Remove the transmitter from the transmitter slot and press UNLOCK on the transmitter.

To program additional transmitters, repeat steps 3 through 5.

When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold the POWER button for 10 seconds to exit programming mode.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yep, read the manual. New car, many bells and whistles. Why read the manual?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Essentially the same process, except that the rubber mat is now in the center console storage bin and you just place the new transmitter in the proper spot. Pages 33-35 of the owners manual.
Thanks for the info eDreamin'.

Unfortunately, I don't have a manual and I can't download PDFs on my desktop.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts

$35k car and no manual? If you can't download one to your phone, laptop, PC or open the glove box and pull one out you may have more problems than reprogramming a key fob. There is a lot of good info in the manual. just sayin'

·
Registered
240 Posts

Well, I'm normally a 'teach a man to fish' kind of guy, but here:
A new transmitter can be programmed to the vehicle when there are two recognized transmitters. To program, the vehicle must be off and all of the transmitters, both currently recognized and new, must be in the vehicle.
  1. Place the two recognized transmitter(s) in the cupholder.
  2. Remove the key lock cylinder cap on the driver door handle. Insert the vehicle key of the new transmitter into the key lock cylinder on the outside of the driver door and turn the key counterclockwise to the unlock position five times within 10 seconds.
    The Driver Information Center (DIC) displays READY FOR REMOTE #2, 3, 4 OR 5 etc.
  3. Remove the rubber mat in the center console storage area.
  4. Place the new RKE transmitter into the transmitter pocket.
  5. Press and hold the POWER button on the center stack for two seconds. When the transmitter is programmed, the DIC will show that it is ready to program the next transmitter.
  6. Remove the transmitter from the transmitter pocket and press the unlock button or lock button on the transmitter.
    To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 4–6.
    When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold the POWER button on the center stack for 12 seconds to exit programming mode.
  7. Return the key back into the transmitter.
(cut & pasted from the manual, with my edits to hopefully improve clarity)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I'm normally a 'teach a man to fish' kind of guy, but here:
A new transmitter can be programmed to the vehicle when there are two recognized transmitters. To program, the vehicle must be off and all of the transmitters, both currently recognized and new, must be in the vehicle.
  1. Place the two recognized transmitter(s) in the cupholder.
  2. Remove the key lock cylinder cap on the driver door handle. Insert the vehicle key of the new transmitter into the key lock cylinder on the outside of the driver door and turn the key counterclockwise to the unlock position five times within 10 seconds.
    The Driver Information Center (DIC) displays READY FOR REMOTE #2, 3, 4 OR 5 etc.
  3. Remove the rubber mat in the center console storage area.
  4. Place the new RKE transmitter into the transmitter pocket.
  5. Press and hold the POWER button on the center stack for two seconds. When the transmitter is programmed, the DIC will show that it is ready to program the next transmitter.
  6. Remove the transmitter from the transmitter pocket and press the unlock button or lock button on the transmitter.
    To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 4–6.
    When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold the POWER button on the center stack for 12 seconds to exit programming mode.
  7. Return the key back into the transmitter.
(cut & pasted from the manual, with my edits to hopefully improve clarity)

Yeah, I got a good deal on the car ($10,000 off a Premier) but, it was missing a key FOB, manual and tire inflation kit.

I tried the learning procedure and it didn't work. It appears I either need to use two good transmitters (which I don't have) to activate an additional transmitter or, the replacement transmitter I was given belonged to another vehicle (Camaro) and since it's "already programed", it's creating issues being "reprogramed". Looks like I'm off to the dealership tomorrow to have them do the programing for a fee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a OEM key fob from ebay. When I start the steps to add the new key,I turn the door handle lock 5 times with the original fob in the cup holder,, but the DIC shows REMOTE LEARN PENDING, PLEASE WAIT instead of READY FOR REMOTE #2, 3, 4 OR 5. I've tried doing it multiple times and still the same result- it is tryingto erase and reprogram the original remote. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Are you following the instructions in the manual? You must have 2 recognized fobs in the car to add a third.

·
Registered
5 Posts
From my understanding it is only Canadian Volts that need 2 original Fobs. Every other post specifies US Volts only needing a single recognized fob for adding additional ones.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
From my understanding it is only Canadian Volts that need 2 original Fobs. Every other post specifies US Volts only needing a single recognized fob for adding additional ones.
The following is pasted directly from my American 2017 Owners Manual:

A new transmitter can be
programmed to the vehicle when
there are two recognized
transmitters
. To program, the vehicle
must be off and all of the
transmitters, both currently
recognized and new, must be in the
vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You are right, I stand corrected. I was lazy and just read some of the pasted instructions on this forum which said only one transmitted was needed. I just now dug out my manual and sure enough, it requires 2 transmitters. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The dealer, however can program a second transmitter with only one....They did that for me when my new vehicle was delivered with only 1 remote.....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tried to program my 2016 with 1 remote since we lost one of them. I got the "ready for remote" message but then nothing would happen after that. I tried all possible orientations of the remote in the transmitter slot and it would never do anything when the start button was held down. I guess I'm off to the dealer...

D

·
0 Posts
Remove the key lock cylinder cap on the driver door handle. Insert the vehicle key of the new transmitter into the key lock cylinder on the outside of the driver door and turn the key counterclockwise to the unlock position five times within 10 seconds.
If I'm reading this right, this would seem to indicate that you've gotta get your new fob's 'key' cut by a locksmith before you could use it to turn the lock 5 times and program the new fob . . . . right?

How does the car know which 'key' you have inserted in the door? It would seem to me that you could use any key which will allow you to turn the lock 5 times and the car wouldn't know the difference . . . . right?

We just bought the car and while we have both of the keys that came with it, I want to program a 3rd one just in case - I don't really care all that much if the 'key' in the new one ever gets to a locksmith to be cut. Do I really have to do that?

Don

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't think you do - any key should be fine. FYI I bought a key on ebay w/ the same FCC number and was never able to get it to program. The car basically acted like the key didn't exist. Has anyone been able to get a non-volt key with the correct FCC number to program?

D

·
0 Posts
Could the car 'know' that the key is missing from one of the two original keys . . . . because we're using it in the door? If that was the case, it probably wouldn't successfully program any third key . . . . until we take it to a locksmith

I'll try putting the uncut key in one of the originals and pretend I'm using the one from the new key :rolleyes:

Don

·
Registered
108 Posts
I followed the manual instructions to program a third and it worked perfectly.

I didn't bother cutting the 3rd key. There's no reason to if you're just trying to get a fob to use the car.

BE CAREFUL when inserting the key into the door handle. I had the key flipped when I pushed it into the slot to remove the cover.
It was dark and raining. The result is a scratch in the paint. :( The key blade is offset so be careful.

D

·
0 Posts
OK - Success!

Here's what I did. First, it was an 'original' HYQ4EA Volt key fob bought on eBay for $55 with free shipping. Has a sticker on the back that reads "5728" and below that "433M". Got a barcode on it too. Looks and feels like an original. I took the blank key out of it, put it in one of my originals, put the two originals in the cup holder as prescribed, the new one in the detent in the center console without a key in it (after removing the rubber mat) and used one of my original keys to switch the door lock counterclockwise 5 times. The rest was as prescribed except . . . . pressing the Power button for 12 seconds did NOT exit the program and for a few minutes there I could not start the car. All 3 fobs locked and unlocked the car, turned the headlights on etc, but the car wouldn't start. I was beginning to worry a bit, but after 3 or 4 minutes, all returned to normal and now I have 3 programmed keys!!

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was able to program my 2017 Volt with only one key FOB. Followed the instructions in the owners manual page 33 and took the path of 30 minutes. I first programmed the new key FOB, followed by the one that was already working. I was initially hesistent to do this on my own fearing that it could render my working FOB useless, but I was able to reprogram it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts