GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 and had the infotainment screen not go on after work yesterday. None of the physical audio buttons worked either. All of it was working perfectly fine when I parked it in the morning.

I left it on mute when I parked it, but got the radio working via the steering wheel controls. Unfortunately it abruptly cut out on the drive home (no audio and I could no longer switch stations or adjust volume via the steering wheel controls). The USB ports also went dead at this point as my phone stopped charging.

I parked it around the block, had dinner, and then tried to start it to see if separating the key fob from the car would reset and resolve things. It didn’t—still a dead screen and no audio or USB.

I put it in the driveway and then pulled fuse 26 and then pulled the negative cable off the 12 volt battery. I got the audio back and could change stations and volume via steering wheel, but the infotainment screen was still dead. At that point I left it to charge overnight and see if the magic mechanic elves would solve it.

I must’ve not left the right enticement because the infotainment screen was still black and unresponsive in the morning. Then about 15 minutes into my drive the audio again cut out, I could no longer switch stations or adjust volume via the steering wheel controls plus the USB ports also went dead again. It was predawn so I also noticed that the physical buttons on Infotainment unit while illuminated, are completely unresponsive. That could be irrelevant as it could’ve been the same situation yesterday.

The dead screen and sudden loss of USB and radio makes me think there’s something wrong part or electrical wise. I had the unit replaced once within the first six months of ownership. It left a weird orange box so it’s different problem than that. I also doubt it’s the 12 volt battery because I replaced it last year when I was having issues that turned out to be the BECM.

Anyone else experience a similar gremlin with the infotainment and manage to defeat it? Any possible DIY solutions I can try next as a last ditch attempt or do I need to make an appointment with the dealer?

Thanks,
FYBB

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Lose connection to the head unit? Dead screen? The head unit (radio) still works, so connector or screen would be my guess.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lose connection to the head unit? Dead screen? The head unit (radio) still works, so connector or screen would be my guess.
Hmm…it’s acting weird so that sounds like something worth exploring. When the radio cut out I could see the presets on the dash screen under my speed, but I couldn’t successfully pick another station. It would go through the motions of trying and select another one, but ultimately the display info for that last radio station is stuck there and it won’t change stations—not that it matters because there’s no audio coming through the speakers. Similarly it sees nothing when you try and pick another audio source via the steering wheel controls.

If you think it might be a loose connection do you think it’s worth trying to take apart the dash and having a look behind the Infotainment unit and confirming the cables are all still in? That would probably determine if there unit itself is broken, no?

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
another possibility is a failing 12V AGM. Weirdness results. I had a newer battery too but due to the pandemic (and me being a bonehead), it did not get recharged enough and it died.

Reactions: supchrgamx

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fuse is ok?
Good question. I believe I pulled all relevant fuses (25, 26 & 30). Both 25 & 26 looked normal metal colour, but 30 had some brown discolouration. After I reinserted all of them the audio from the radio started playing through the speakers but curiously on the driver console it said audio off under the speedometer.

This morning the audio for the radio played when I started the car. It lasted for about 20 minutes before cutting out and would not play for the rest of the ride. I also could no longer switch stations or adjust volume via the steering wheel controls again like yesterday.

Do you think it’s worth trying to replace the discoloured fuse 30?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another possibility is a failing 12V AGM. Weirdness results. I had a newer battery too but due to the pandemic (and me being a bonehead), it did not get recharged enough and it died.
Oh no. Volts don’t like sitting idle do they? I’ve been driving regularly throughout the pandemic so it’s probably not lack of recharging. I’ll look into testing it to be sure.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
See my signature for my radio saga, it's a gen1 but I assume design is similar... the head unit is what drives that display. So you could have a dying head unit. That would explain "no display" and "intermittent radio", but the USB issues throw a wrench into the theory. I doubt you can avoid a trip to the dealer for diagnostics (unless you have a VCX Nano).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the battery. I’m getting 12.6 V. The old battery I replaced it with is getting 12.7 V. I’m assuming this is in spec. So it looks like I’m opening up the dash.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See my signature for my radio saga, it's a gen1 but I assume design is similar... the head unit is what drives that display. So you could have a dying head unit. That would explain "no display" and "intermittent radio", but the USB issues throw a wrench into the theory. I doubt you can avoid a trip to the dealer for diagnostics (unless you have a VCX Nano).
Yikes. I’m sorry you went through this. It seems like 12V battery is okay (reading 12.6V) so it looks like I’m opening up the dash and hoping it’s an unplugged cable.

If it’s a bad head unit it’s something I’m dreading because as you mentioned replacing a radio in a modern car is crazy expensive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Sounds the same as when my HMI module died: 2017 Infotainment screen died and radio stuck on I could sometimes control the radio via the steering wheel, but other times it would lock up. The dead USB ports is the giveaway that the HMI is at fault, they are directly connected to that. Module from GM is about $600 + install.
Well I swapped in the old battery and it’s the same result no screen. I also took apart the dash, which is easier than getting at the 12V battery, to see if there was a cable loose. All looked good, but I reset the ones I could while I was back there for good measure. The same result radio playing but a blank screen. I also swapped the brown fuse (30?) for another one with the same numbers and got the same result. So I think it’s unfortunately time to call the dealer and ask about an HMI replacement. Speaking of, thanks for posting your thread. It sounds like an expensive repair and a pain—sigh.

That said after driving for a few days I’m noticing a pattern. I get about 15 minutes of radio every time I shut down and start. The radio cuts out for a quarter or half second periodically during that period (the newscaster gets a word clipped every once and a while) before it eventually dies for good. The USB also charges during the period the radio is playing, but stops when the radio dies. The Volt’s electrical gremlins strike again.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New wrinkle: On a long highway drive today “service heater” flashed on my driver console. Any ideas if this is related to my infotainment woes or do I have more problems in coming?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I swapped in the old battery and it’s the same result no screen. I also took apart the dash, which is easier than getting at the 12V battery, to see if there was a cable loose. All looked good, but I reset the ones I could while I was back there for good measure. The same result radio playing but a blank screen. I also swapped the brown fuse (30?) for another one with the same numbers and got the same result. So I think it’s unfortunately time to call the dealer and ask about an HMI replacement. Speaking of, thanks for posting your thread. It sounds like an expensive repair and a pain—sigh.

That said after driving for a few days I’m noticing a pattern. I get about 15 minutes of radio every time I shut down and start. The radio cuts out for a quarter or half second periodically during that period (the newscaster gets a word clipped every once and a while) before it eventually dies for good. The USB also charges during the period the radio is playing, but stops when the radio dies. The Volt’s electrical gremlins strike again.
There is an option of replacing the HMI module yourself, there are online companies that will sell you one pre-coded for your VIN (the majority of their services are for people looking to upgrade the infotainment). The price is still around $600-700 for that, plus you have to R&R the module yourself. I opted for the dealer route because their new module came with a 2 year warranty, and it was only like 1-2 hrs of shop labor. And of course that has to depend on you knowing for sure the HMI is dead. The dealer receipt noted "no video output" from the HMI module.

I can also say there were 2 times when the infotainment screen in my car went dead in the months leading up to the complete failure. But the times it happened I could restart the car and it would come back. Had no idea it meant immanent failure.

The heater warning message is a new one to me... but would not think that has anything to do with HMI. Cabin heater and battery heater are 2 separate items, if it's not triggering a CEL then my guess is it's related to cabin heat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is an option of replacing the HMI module yourself, there are online companies that will sell you one pre-coded for your VIN (the majority of their services are for people looking to upgrade the infotainment). The price is still around $600-700 for that, plus you have to R&R the module yourself. I opted for the dealer route because their new module came with a 2 year warranty, and it was only like 1-2 hrs of shop labor. And of course that has to depend on you knowing for sure the HMI is dead. The dealer receipt noted "no video output" from the HMI module.

I can also say there were 2 times when the infotainment screen in my car went dead in the months leading up to the complete failure. But the times it happened I could restart the car and it would come back. Had no idea it meant immanent failure.

The heater warning message is a new one to me... but would not think that has anything to do with HMI. Cabin heater and battery heater are 2 separate items, if it's not triggering a CEL then my guess is it's related to cabin heat.
Thanks for the insight I’ll look into options.

The cabin heater worked when I tried it today so I’ve got my fingers and toes crossed it’s just the infotainment issue and a weird coincidence.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts