GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the 2017 Volts being built with the USA made engine, yet? I've have ordered one as of 5/06/2016, but no one seems to know if it will have an American made engine or are they still using the Mexican made engines?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
GM stated that the 2016 Volt would have a U.S. manufactured engine. It seem nobody knows for sure when this will happen now...

·
1,308 Posts
GM stated that the 2016 Volt would have a U.S. manufactured engine. It seem nobody knows for sure when this will happen now...
GM said the new generation Volt would have a US built engine but not for the 2016 model year. The latest info I have seen is from a GM press release last December that says:

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2015/dec/1210-engineAwards.html

The 1.5L range extender is manufactured at GM’s Toluca, Mexico, engine plant and will transfer to the Flint, Mich., engine plant in the second half of [calendar year] 2016.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 2017 was built the week of July 18th. The window sticker says country of origin: Engine: Mexico. So we are in the second half of the calendar year---just not far enough into the second half. Maybe new owners could see when the sticker says Engine: United States and we could get a break point by VIN#

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I was going to wait for the U.S. built engine, but when GM offered the 20% off MSRP on 2016 Volts plus our dealer offered another $3,000 off, over $11,000 total, we just couldn't refuse. Our current engine may have the chuggle issue but it seems gas mpg is not affected as last trip was 48 mpg just on regular gas.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Man, I wish I could have waited long enough to get a discount like that.....

<sigh>

Such is life.

Best,
Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts