GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

I just recently purchased a 17 Volt and I noticed the engine makes a knocking noise when the hood is up and its parked in maintenance mode. Here is a link to a video of one that was making the same noise as mine.

I thought it might be some bad gas but I put a tank of 91 through but that made no difference. Hoping someone here has some insight into this noise. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Direct injection requires very high pressures so the injectors can be loud. True knock sounds like shaking a can of spray paint with the plastic ball mixers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds exactly normal to me. I was struck by that noise the first time I heard my ICE run, and commented on it to the salesman. I only hear it when the hood is open, which is seldom, and to tell the truth mine has gotten a bit quieter now that it has 35k miles on it, about 1/2 of that running on ICE in hold mode.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took it it to the dealer today to take a look at it and they said it was normal. Not sure if it's running at the edge of pre ignition and occasionally pinging, or if it's the mechanical fuel pump but if it's normal then it doesn't bother me. Just don't want a new to me car with a bumb motor :LOL:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine sounds like that too. Always has.

It also seems like the ICE in the Volt idles a little higher than most cars.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Greetings all.

I just recently purchased a 17 Volt and I noticed the engine makes a knocking noise when the hood is up and its parked in maintenance mode. Here is a link to a video of one that was making the same noise as mine.

I thought it might be some bad gas but I put a tank of 91 through but that made no difference. Hoping someone here has some insight into this noise. Thank you.
How many miles on the odometer? Injectors firing into the intake manifold as happens in the Gen1 engines clean the manifold and valve stems with gas spurts. Gen2 Volt engines have direct injection into the cylinders. After many miles the intake manifold and valve stems become gunked up with crankcase blowby. This is common to all direct injection engines, not just the Gen2 Volt engines. The dealer has a procedure to somewhat clean these manifolds. I don't know if there is an audible clue to let you know when to clean the manifold.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When I got my 2018 I was struck by how different the newer ICE sounded compared to my 2015. I opened the hood on the 2018, the ICE started and the next words out of my mouth were, "well, it's a clicky thing, ain't it?" But that clicky-ness doesn't get past the closed hood.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
When I got my 2018 I was struck by how different the newer ICE sounded compared to my 2015. I opened the hood on the 2018, the ICE started and the next words out of my mouth were, "well, it's a clicky thing, ain't it?" But that clicky-ness doesn't get past the closed hood.
Perhaps the clicky sounds are the high pressure injectors at work.(?)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts