GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Ideafab 14-30 adapter for out 2017 Volt's factory charger, but it appears to have not changed the charge rate. The adapter I got is a 14-50 with the curved pin. When we had our Tesla we used a 14-30 adapter with the L-shaped pin and it definitely charged at 220v. Is it possible there is no power going to that curved pin in my outlet? I did request a 14-30 adapter because the circuit is only 30A but received this 14-50 plug instead for some reason. I've attached a pic of the charge screen.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Nothing on that screen will change...

A good way you can tell is to turn the car on with it plugged in, and turn all the accessories off like heater/AC. If you have the dash set to "Modern Enhanced" layout, it should show close to -3kW at the top.

The other way is how long it takes. The factory EVSE on 220v will fully charge a depleted battery in just over 5 hours. Or half depleted in about 2.5 hours. Additionally... the "Complete" time next to the STATION heading on that Charging screen will reflect that estimate as well.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Plug in the J1772 plug into the Volt. Wait a few seconds and open the Driver's door. The Driver's Information Console will display an estimate of how long (in hours and minutes) until the Volt's battery pack is fully charged.

From 0 % state of charge (SOC) ~ 5 hours, 30 minutes (Level 2 charging at 240V and 12 amps)

From 50 % SOC ~ 2 hours, 45 minutes (Level 2 charging at 240V and 12 amps)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips! So I think I am charging properly based on the -3KW with ignition on and all accessories off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts