GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2017 LT three weeks ago. Last week discovered heater does not work. Took the car to the dealer and dropped it off over the weekend. Got a call today saying he dash needs to come out. The car has literally 1395 miles on it and heater does not work. Did I buy a lemon? Could this be a start to other BS with this car? Anyone else have any issues with theirs?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Stuff happens...

I had about 5K miles on my 2017 when I had some high voltage fuse pop right in the middle of a Texas summer causing the AC system to not work. Took them a while to figure it out, and the part was on national backorder as well making things more annoying.

Gotta give them at least a chance to make it right -- no product manufacturing process is 100% perfect, so you can't start thinking lemon just yet. (i know, I was in the same boat as you feelings wise when my car was in the shop)

I haven't seen many other problems with heater issues so far. If they fix it and the problem keeps happening, then you can start thinking along the lines of lemon.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
On issue does not make a lemon. If that were the case not a single car manufacture would be making any profits and still in business.

Give the dealer a chance. But since I bought a 2017 on Aug 20th that was built in June 2016 I'll try my heater this morning just to be safe.

UPDATE:

I just went out to my car sitting in my garage plugged into a 240V Level II EVSE, I set the HVAC system MAX and set the TEMP to HI, it took about 60 seconds before I started feeling ANY warmth, another minute before I started feeling WARM air and after about 3 minutes it was blowing VERY HOT air. It was 73 degrees in my garage if that makes any difference.

Of course I haven't tried the ICE generated heat system yet.

BTW what part of your HVAC is not producing HEAT, the ELECTRIC or ICE generated heat loops or BOTH?

·
4,851 Posts
On issue does not make a lemon. If that were the case not a single car manufacture would be making any profits and still in business.

Give the dealer a chance. But since I bought a 2017 on Aug 20th that was built in June 2016 I'll try my heater this morning just to be safe.

UPDATE:

I just went out to my car sitting in my garage plugged into a 240V Level II EVSE, I set the HVAC system MAX and set the TEMP to HI, it took about 60 seconds before I started feeling ANY warmth, another minute before I started feeling WARM air and after about 3 minutes it was blowing VERY HOT air. It was 73 degrees in my garage if that makes any difference.

Of course I haven't tried the ICE generated heat system yet.

BTW what part of your HVAC is not producing HEAT, the ELECTRIC or ICE generated heat loops or BOTH?
If you leave the fan on Auto it should also get warm faster. It won't start blowing the air until the coolant has heated a bit.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The Volt heating system is just about worthless. Try setting the thermostat as high as possible and be sure that you are in comfort mode. Defrost should be adequate, while cabin heat at below-zero temperatures will be nearly nonexistent.

·
4,851 Posts
The Volt heating system is just about worthless. Try setting the thermostat as high as possible and be sure that you are in comfort mode. Defrost should be adequate, while cabin heat at below-zero temperatures will be nearly nonexistent.
It heats up as fast and as hot as an ICE engine... It's not instant because it's heating coolant, just like a normal engine. If you disagree, something is probably wrong with your heater. Auto fan speed really helps the air to be warmer faster, since it waits until the coolant has heated an appreciable amount before blowing cold air over the heater block.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the response. I know one issues does not justify lemon but I have noticed other things just have not had the car long enough to complain about it. The heater is the same regardless of electric or engine. They advised me coolant going into heater core is hot but not hot air is coming out. I will wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just had a similar issue on a car bought recently, right before Thanksgiving. It is at the dealer now. Diagnosis was I had a bad seal at the base of the radiator, where the rubber hose connects. Coolant was leaking, and very low; and of course nothing but cold air was blowing. Fortunately I realized in time that I needed to get the car in for the repair. If I hadn't noticed, I could have been stranded, and this problem could have caused other damage. The rubber hose and the clamp are going to be replaced...hopefully that fixes the problem. My car was built in Detroit, in October, 2016.

·
Registered
871 Posts
It heats up as fast and as hot as an ICE engine... It's not instant because it's heating coolant, just like a normal engine. If you disagree, something is probably wrong with your heater. Auto fan speed really helps the air to be warmer faster, since it waits until the coolant has heated an appreciable amount before blowing cold air over the heater block.
Mine warms up faster than any other vehicle I've driven. That includes 5.7L V8, various 4-cyls, and a V6 hybrid. They all took at least 5-10 minutes before hot air would start to blow; my Volt does it within 30 seconds to a minute. Maybe a minute and a half if it's below zero. ICE heat definitely helps, and it's more efficient than electric heat because you're generating power and heat instead of consuming power to create heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts