GM Volt Forum banner

2017 Gen 2 Volt - Shift to Park

2266 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  wkiri
My 2017 is just reaching 20k miles, and I started getting the dreaded "shift to park" issue when trying to shut down.

My short term fix was to open up the shifter unit and glue a little piece of tubing over the pushrod which activates the microswitch. This seems to have fixed it for now. I followed this video (but skipped a number of steps:

For example, instead of unplugging all the harnesses, I just rotated the cover to the side, leaving the wiring connected.

For the long term fix:

Am I right in thinking that part number 13534319 would include everything I need? This part is only $60, and based on my experiences today, opening up the second time to swap it out should take about 20 minutes...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
883 Posts
Why don't you just take it to the dealer and get it fixed under the Voltec warranty?

And if you don't want to do that, at least take a look at the TSB, linked to in other threads, for this issue. It shows the parts needed and how to replace them. You don't need an entire shift lever, just a cheap switch and wiring harness. <$30 and much less if you buy an aftermarket switch rather than a genuine GM part.

But... the dealer will do it for free.

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Value of my time, mostly. I've read a number of people having trouble with the dealer

• dealer refuses to cover it under warranty
  • dealer won't answer questions until they diagnose it themselves
  • part isn't in stock

etc.

If I can pay $60 and spend 20 minutes of my time to solve this problem once and for all, and not have to deal with the dealer, that's a win for me :cool:

· Registered
2017 Volt Premier 120k+ Miles
1,311 Posts
There is a contact cleaning procedure documented in the TSB. Remove the shift knob, flick the lever ~30 times to clean the contacts, replace the knob. My shifter has been replaced, and I still get the error occasionally.

· Registered
372 Posts
If I can pay $60 and spend 20 minutes of my time to solve this problem once and for all, and not have to deal with the dealer, that's a win for me :cool:
I'm in this camp. Though it will cost less than that and take more time than that. I also used the opportunity to do a deep clean of that center console. The previous owner used it as a coffee drip tray...

The dealer is much more likely to mess things up than I am - I care about my car and they don't. And it will take the same amount of my time - during the day when I'd rather be at the office (or early morning sleeping) to get the the work done for 'free'. I repaired the car in one relaxing evening while sipping a beer... much better than dealing with the dealer.

-Charlie

· Registered
129 Posts
My wife's Buick Regal was doing the shift to park...

I opened up the shifter and I noticed the little metal part that pushes comes off the switch on the Buick. Mostly by accident because I was trying to bend it. Anyway it popped off and I bent it a bit back and then I popped it back in place and it was fixed. Knock on wood my Volt hasn't been stupid yet...

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: my short-term fix (adding a little plastic tube to the nubbin) did not hold - I started getting the "Shift to Park" errors after a few days. I was able, however, to flick the shifter a few times to get it to clear. But I want a permanent fix.

I ordered part 13534319, and when it arrived I confirmed that it is the right part - it includes everything one needs.

I replaced it by following the instructions in the video at the top of this thread.

A few pointers or tips:
  • You do not have to un-plug the 4 connectors as shown in the video - it's possible to push the cover to the side giving you enough room to work.
  • You really need a good 10mm offset wrench as shown in the video. I was able to get the nut off with a regular 10mm wrench, and using a 10mm socket where I grabbed the sides of the socket with some pliers, but it was a pain in the ass. Buy the right tool (which costs about $15) and you will not regret it.
  • When removing the 10mm nut, the bolt can start turning - it helps to use your other hand to hold the bolt in place so the square flange prevents the bolt from turning.

· Registered
35 Posts
On my 2017 Volt, the Shift-to-Park issue occurs every couple of months or so. It’s happened about 10 times now. When it first happened I slowly pushed the trigger on the shift lever and heard a quiet click, indicating to me that the mechanism activates a micro switch. I don’t think any amount of bending or adding spacers would effect a long term cure.

I prefer the simple approach - my solution is to just squeeze the trigger a couple of times and the problem goes away. This may not satisfy everyone.

If I decide to keep the car much longer I’ll take it to the dealer for a free repair.

· Registered
3 Posts
I've had this problem with my 2017 Volt for two years. I took it to the dealer when the problem started in 2020 and was told it wasn't covered under warranty and that I would have to pay to install a new "wiring harness", so I just put up with it. From this forum I'm learning that it's a more localized issue (just the switch) and it definitely sounds like it should be covered under warranty. Thanks for the additional insights and sharing your experiences! If/when my Volt ever gets its BECM replaced (for which it's now been waiting 6 weeks), I'll inquire again about getting the shift-to-park issue fixed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts