GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
sorry , as soon as i posted this q, the post with an answer was suggested , thanks all
Net time just do a search. But yes any EVSE with a J1772 should work. Your lowly volt charger can even charge a Tesla, albeit quite slowly.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Net time just do a search. But yes any EVSE with a J1772 should work. Your lowly volt charger can even charge a Tesla, albeit quite slowly.
Now if I could just charge my Volt on one of those 8 Tesla chargers I see sitting idle everyday !! :p

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
Now if I could just charge my Volt on one of those 8 Tesla chargers I see sitting idle everyday !! :p
If only... it would take like 10 minutes to fully charge, right?

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
I thought there was an adapter made for that? But it only charges at the normal Volt speed.
Nope. That's impossible. There is an adapter that allows the Tesla to use any J1772 EVSE, but nothing that converts a a Supercharger plug to work with a Volt or any other EV. The Volt (car) cannot handle the 480 volts (unit of electricity) coming from the Supercharger.

·
Registered
28 Posts
One thing I would add is that I just got my 2017 factory charger for my Gen 1 and I've been using the L2 conversion for about a week! One thing I've started to notice is that the battery charges quite quickly at lower battery percentages, but the top two bars charge a lot slower, almost L1 speeds. Any ideas/suggestions from anyone who might come across this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
One thing I would add is that I just got my 2017 factory charger for my Gen 1 and I've been using the L2 conversion for about a week! One thing I've started to notice is that the battery charges quite quickly at lower battery percentages, but the top two bars charge a lot slower, almost L1 speeds. Any ideas/suggestions from anyone who might come across this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is normal operation. The power ramps up at the start, then ramps down near the end.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
That is normal operation. The power ramps up at the start, then ramps down near the end.
Correct. If you overdrive the batteries to try to charge them faster, they will degrade faster. This tapering along with thermal management helps keep them running for a long, long time

1 - 10 of 10 Posts