GM Volt Forum banner

2017 EVSE charge port ripped out! DIY new port + illumination

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  stevon 
#1 · (Edited)
Guy's,

Add insult to injury! an ICE car parked in the reserved and marked charging space so I parked next to them in an open regular parking space. I pulled the charge cord to reach my car and it was looped under their car. When the offending car left, it hooked the charge port cord and ripped the EVSE charge port out of my car! only wires were left hanging in the fender! My Volt charge receptacle was lying on the ground still attached to the city charge cord. There was no damage to the city charge cable, it still works fine. With gas hoses there is a safety disconnect if vehicle pulls the hose while connected to the pump. Why does the EVSE standard not have the same? The design is to destroy the car as their "safety" plan for such an event? Took my Volt to the Chevy dealer and they had the car a month because the EVSE socket is back ordered and not available in Detroit. I decided to pick up the Volt and the car works just fine on gas. Decided to buy my own used OEM socket and to upgrade to an illuminated charge port bezel while I'm at it. I didn't get the license plate of the offending vehicle. I guess public free electric charging has some costs after all!

Stephen

#4 ·
The break-away gasoline hose safety feature is based on fluid check valves that close. I think they sense a lack of back pressure to close, but not sure.

I suspect a quick disconnect for a high voltage power line under load might present some engineering challenges. As-is, the charge handle trigger is what stops the current to avoid high voltage arching and possible bodily harm. Maybe something with a strain gauge could serve the same purpose? But how would it know you aren't simply tugging the cord caught on the other car's tire?

#5 ·
Steverino,

This is the second time this has happened to me, my Spark, now the Volt. The real problem may be my impatience to charge the car. In both cases I wasn't there to witness the event, only to see the remains of a cars's EVSE broken socket and mangled wires, the charge cable does not get damaged in this type of event. The clip should just let go and release under extreme duress is all I'm saying. The power will automatically disconnect when the signal wire is broken, there is no reason on earth, at least no one has explained to me why this safety issue was just left unanswered or unaddressed. Do I have to modify the design myself to let go under stress? file/notch the cable lock somehow? Seems ridiculous and expensive that's all

Stephen

#8 ·
The design includes the ability for it to be locked in place (with a padlock) to protect the charge cord from theft. Pulling at an angle, cranking on it, etc, will damage the socket either way.
The answer is to not loop the wire under another vehicle, or where it's prone to be damaged. With the Volt, there's no reason to be taking on that kind of risk either. We can just burn gas and charge at home. I'd call it lesson learned and move on.

Reactions: DShields11
#9 ·
The breakaway of a fuel pump is there to prevent a spill/fire if the nozzle is left in the tank. No need for that in an EVSE/charging station since there is an interlock that prevents the car from moving while the cord is attached. Sorry this happened to you, but it's just not needed and would be an unnecessary addition/expense to the charging station.

#12 · (Edited)
MikeBCo,

The charge door is for cosmetics and is not necessary to charge the car, when the EVSE port was ripped out with the wires bare sticking out of the fender there was no danger or power measured. The car started and drove home fine. The charge port under water or exposed to water and to ground prevents any power transfer with a "ground fault" check before allowing power to flow. I finally got in my illumination cover and will install it today now that the rain has taken a break here in San Diego. I decided not to use the drain hole and drilled another access hole in the housing. You can see the wire and a drill bit sticking through the new hole. The illumination then just magically works! there was no programing or setting of the Volt required. The light only comes on after a drive and the charge door is opened, it does not stay on and drain the 12 volt battery.

Stephen

Automotive tire Sports gear Automotive lighting Gadget Personal protective equipment
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tread
Finger Wrist Human leg Personal protective equipment Wire

#13 ·
Based on the number of people I have seen with charging faults due to water wicking into microcracks in the charge port, I stand by my original statement of keeping the port covered.

#14 · (Edited)
Guy's

Got the illumination kit for the EVSE charging port installed then put the charge port door back in. There were no installation instructions included so I googled online howto. There was some confusion of the body harness plug side pinout according to specific month of manufacture of my Volt, but I worked it out. The Molex plug has many parts to it, just be careful when taking it apart! When clicking it back together make sure the wire loom caps are snaped in flush with the housing before plugging it back into the main harness.

See photos:

Tire Automotive tire Tread Automotive design Gas
Automotive tire Coil Electrical wiring Gas Engineering
Calipers Pneumatic tool Automotive tire Finger Tool

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Gesture Finger Thumb Wrist Wood
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

#18 · (Edited)
dannyV

Bought it new on eBay for $171.60 with shipping and tax included. You possibly could get a better deal somewhere else.

The kit just snaps in and there are no bolts involved, I did not use the wire routing suggested through the drain hole and drilled my own hole in the door housing to route the wiring. On the connector there was a not obvious plastic "protection" plug in the terminal pin slot that had to be removed first before the supplied wire would insert properly. The locking tab on the terminal of the wire has to face up, there is a faint symbol of the wire terminal position to be inserted on the connector housing. The correct orientation of the terminal fitting insertion is critical for the connector to work. No force of any kind is required, just try to be patient when attempting this project, it requires a certain amount of finesse.

Stephen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.