GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2017 Volt and a few days ago, during a cold winter day with my Volt plugged in at home on a L2 charger in my (attached) garage, I used my app to pre-heat my Volt. When I walked into my garage, I was horrified to see that the engine was running!! Inside my attached garage with the main garage door closed!! This is a very serious and dangerous situation!! Is there no way to configure the car to NOT start the engine while plugged in at home?? If the car is not intelligent enough to know that it’s at home, I would settle for the car not starting the engine EVER due to ERDTT if it’s plugged in to a L2 charger.

·
Registered
2013 Opel Ampera
14 Posts
In gen 1 (at least from 2013 on) there is an option in the vehicle menus under "Config" to prevent ERDTT when plugged in. I am pretty sure that exists also in gen 2.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Is this 2017 Volt a relatively recent purchase? If so, it’s possible the previous owner had adjusted the vehicle personalization settings so Engine Assist Heat Plugged In is set to On. Perhaps the previous owner parked the car outside, and wanted the engine to help heat the cabin during a remote start. If that’s what is happening, you can adjust the configuration to turn off the Engine Assist Heat Plugged In.

·
Registered
2013 Opel Ampera
14 Posts
I own a 2017 Volt and a few days ago, during a cold winter day with my Volt plugged in at home on a L2 charger in my (attached) garage, I used my app to pre-heat my Volt. When I walked into my garage, I was horrified to see that the engine was running!! Inside my attached garage with the main garage door closed!! This is a very serious and dangerous situation!! Is there no way to configure the car to NOT start the engine while plugged in at home?? If the car is not intelligent enough to know that it’s at home, I would settle for the car not starting the engine EVER due to ERDTT if it’s plugged in to a L2 charger.
I hope this will help:

Font Screenshot Electric blue Parallel Number

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 90k+ Miles
886 Posts

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Plus, repairs that involve reprogramming modules can result in the setting selections previously made occasionally getting wiped and returned to defaults. There's probably a logical path through which module gets updated and what may or may not get reset, but it's not documented anyplace that I've seen, so I tend to just go through all the config settings after the car has had something done to it and make everything into what I want it to be. I find something to tweak about half the time.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You should be able to turn off the ERDTT to defer while plugged into an EVSE. Unfortunately once unplugged, the engine will still kick on when it's cold enough. Unless you start fooling with the temp sensor. I've set mine to defer for both scenario but I don't mind the engine running since I can't get the same range in winter anyway.

·
Registered
2018 Volt LT Cajun Red
23 Posts
You should be able to turn off the ERDTT to defer while plugged into an EVSE. Unfortunately once unplugged, the engine will still kick on when it's cold enough. Unless you start fooling with the temp sensor. I've set mine to defer for both scenario but I don't mind the engine running since I can't get the same range in winter anyway.
In the northern IL area with the Hi's in the teens and the attached garage at mid 20's I love the pre condition and ERDTT (I like heat over electric mile and hype-mile'ing). Just crack the garage open 1/4 of the way and precondition and ERDTT as the car is intended. I love my 2018 Volt.

·
Registered
2013 Opel Ampera
14 Posts
In the northern IL area with the Hi's in the teens and the attached garage at mid 20's I love the pre condition and ERDTT (I like heat over electric mile and hype-mile'ing). Just crack the garage open 1/4 of the way and precondition and ERDTT as the car is intended. I love my 2018 Volt.
You can have a warm car even without ERDTT while plugged in. Just disable ERDTT while plugged in, not while driving.
Why burn gas in the garage when it is not needed...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone! I was able to find the configuration option to turn off Engine Assist Heat when plugged in and I set it to OFF. I purchased this vehicle brand new in 2016 but I moved to a new home a couple of years ago. This is the coldest it's gotten since I've been here so it's the first time the engine has ever turned on when I pre-heated my car. Now I can safely pre-heat my car when it's in my garage and plugged in. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. When I took my 2016 in for a software fix, it dumped the deferred ERDTT and the engine assist when plugged in settings. It pays to double check those after service if they diddled with the computer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you got it sorted. When I took my 2016 in for a software fix, it dumped the deferred ERDTT and the engine assist when plugged in settings. It pays to double check those after service if they diddled with the computer.
That’s a great point! I have had my software updated as part of a recall in the past. I will make it a point to check these settings after any software updates. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
One thing to note- there's a battery vent on this battery, and a tube running to outside. The replacement battery I got a while back had the ports, but they were blocked by plugs, had to dig one out to plug the original vent hose in.

You want to make sure to use this vent! This isn't underhood- it's in an enclosed space inside the cabin area. When a lead-acid battery is charged it can/will put off some vapors (usually not much in our case but still), they can be corrosive and explosive.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thank you everyone! I purchased this vehicle brand new in 2016 but I moved to a new home a couple of years ago. :)
Welcome to the forum. I too bought my Volts in 2016 but I have followed the news and issues on this forum from the start. I consider the information that I have gathered here to be valuable. If you have not spent time here, please do so and you'll learn a lot about this great car. This way, all of the the more knowledgeable don't have to waste time looking up the information that you have had in your glove compartment for five years. :) All this does is allow all the know nothings a chance to demonstrate their ignorance.:)

Reactions: Steverino

·
Administrator
21,485 Posts
This way, all of the the more knowledgeable don't have to waste time looking up the information that you have had in your glove compartment for five years. :)
"I have a problem" Pet Peeves
  • People that do not read the car's Owners Manual that contains the details of how the car operates, what the controls do, the maintenance schedule, etc.
  • People that don't use Google to quickly search for an answer.
  • People who provide as few details as possible and don't include the model year.

Instead, don't be a leach
  • Use the Search capability of the Owner's Manual PDF to locate topics that address your question/issue. The PDF is at Manuals and Guides | Vehicle Support | Chevy
  • Use Google search
  • Use this forum's Search.
  • Still can't find the answer? Post your question, include model year, details on the issue, what you've already tried, etc.

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (no camera:( )
211 Posts
Steverino,
Thanks for saying that. Many posts from some (not all) brand new members initially leave me with the impression of: "Hi, I have a problem that I expect you to solve for me, and no, I do not want to spend any time doing any research. Just solve it for me, and oh, by the way if I don't like the answer, I may start arguing the point with you.."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts