GM Volt Forum banner

2017 EGR Valve/Walk Home Fuse saga: Update

37K views 101 replies 38 participants last post by  soma 
#1 ·
Re: my previous thread,EGR valve/walk home fuse failure on the NJ Turnpike, heading South, 145? miles from home, 2017, Premier, 27K (11K genny) bunch of error codes, engine overheating, etc etc....

As a result of my Volt needing towed to the closest dealer, Burlington Chevrolet....interestingly...and weirdly the VERY same dealer she was purchased from ( even though I live in NY)! I ended up over $700 out of pocket, due to GM/Enterprise rental policy.

Initially was told to hire a qualifying GM vehicle, from Enterprise, by both Burlington Chevrolet and GM/OnStar.....which I did

Burlington Chevrolet then informed me, three days later...at time of vehicle still in workshop...that they would only pay for 2 or 3 of the eventual 6 days rental, GM pretty much useless at this point, despite informing me that they were working hard to give me an answer.....no answer forthcoming more than 5 weeks since the incident

Burlington were fantastic.... with the diagnosis, replacement EGR valve....can't fault them, on that, and initially GM/OnStar were on point with my diagnosis/tow etc...can't fault them on that, BUT, despite following the advice I received, from both Burlington and GM....to the letter, I found myself out of pocket to the tune of $702.39 for their 'qualifying vehicle rental'.......

Rental vehicle was hired on day of breakdown/diagnosis, and returned the very next day I was informed ( 4:45PM) my Volt was ready to be picked up...in other words I did not keep the vehicle a second longer than I needed to!!

So...be warned, if you are tempted to rent/hire a qualifying vehicle via the agreement? between GM/Enterprise, you could STILL find yourself up that proverbial creek

Here's the kicker....I'm NOT mechanically incompetent....managing to service most of my own vehicles, including things such as drive shaft/cv joint replacements , various other ailments, and keeping my fleet of some......50? motorcycles, in my life, to date on the road.....including my current, three 40 year old Yamahas......an EGR valve I could have sourced, brand new, with gasket for around $205.........I am thinking around an hour, max, for a 'first time replacement' of such, plus maybe $2 for the fuse......

You live and learn......

See less See more
#2 ·
I am impressed you got your EGR so quickly... I am on a waiting list as are others in US and Canada. You are most fortune. My Volt is an EV only machine now as my Volt stalls over and over again just trying to run. Dealer said I should just drive in EV while I wait. Frustrating to be sure.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I am impressed you got your EGR so quickly... I am on a waiting list as are others in US and Canada. You are most fortune. My Volt is an EV only machine now as my Volt stalls over and over again just trying to run. Dealer said I should just drive in EV while I wait. Frustrating to be sure.

I was surprised too. Mine failed 500 miles from home in late April and the part could not be found anywhere. I ended up locating one on eBay that was in China. I bought it and had it shipped. It took 6 weeks to get. It solved the problem for now but I can't help wonder how long it'll last since these seem to be failing right and left and there are no more available. I don't know if GM is redesigning them and that's why they're out or if GM doesn't intend to make them available anymore. Crossing my fingers that this one doesn't fail too and render my car useless.

#3 ·
Burlington Chevrolet then informed me, three days later...at time of vehicle still in workshop...that they would only pay for 2 or 3 of the eventual 6 days rental
What was the "logic" they used to deny paying for the other 3 or 4 days?

Did they promise anything in writing about paying for a rental? Does the warranty say anything about it? If so, a firmly worded letter threatening a lawsuit in small claims court might have a clarifying effect.

#5 ·
Initially....at the 'site' of the breakdown ( I had a passenger..4 legs) I was told a tow would be called.
Tow company said because of 4 legged passenger/covid19 they could only tow vehicle

OnStar/GM/Burlington told me that they had no loan vehicles available...BUT IF I rented a qualifying GM vehicle from Enterprise AND my problem was covered under warranty ( it was) I would be covered, 100% for the rental costs.

I contacted Enterprise ( same scenario...4 legs passenger/covid19) meant we had to walk 3 miles to Enterprise/
Vehicle was rented/signed for......and off I drove, back to NY.

3 days later > weekend....I was told my vehicle WAS covered under warranty, but both Burlington and subsequently GM told me that the qualifying vehicle rental could ONLY be paid from date of vehicle diagnosis.....3-4 days later, due to

No Volt tech availability
Weekend

MY argument is

I was not informed of this important 'rider'
My vehicle was (correctly) diagnosed by OnStar at time of breakdown...vehicle codes pointed to emissions/EGR valve, and 'walk home fuse' blown

Subsequently vehicle rental was paid for 2? days, by Burlington/GM, I was responsible for the remaining 5 days... (Thursday breakdown/weekend/Monday......Tuesday's diagnosis meant Tues/Wednesday< day I drove back AM to Enterprise.....covered by Burlington/GM.....

IE They would only cover me (qualifying rental) from the day a Volt tech diagnosed my vehicle breakdown was caused by the EGR valve

NOT from the day of my breakdown...caused by the vehicles EGR valve....as initially confirmed to me by both Burlington Chevrolet and GM/OnStar .....

Everything at that point was conducted vis OnStar/Phone conversation.....the only time I was actually present AT Burlington Chevrolet was at time of repaired vehicle pickup, some 5-6 days later < where I inspected vehicle and signed repair invoice ( covered under warranty)

Obviously I signed 'qualifying' rental agreement, for GM vehicle, at time of pickup ( Chevrolet Camaro.....hated it, lol), based on what I was told by OnStar/GM and Burlington Chevrolet....all 3 told me exactly the same thing>

"If a qualifying GM vehicle is rented from Enterprise AND your vehicles breakdown is covered under warranty ( it was) your vehicle rental will be covered in full via the aforementioned 'Enterprise/GM/OnStar qualifying vehicle rental agreement" < verbal)

I fully understood that if my vehicle breakdown was NOT covered under warranty, I would be liable for 100% of the qualifying vehicle rental costs.. ( And I would NOT have a rented a Camaro at almost $100 per day!!)

Seems MORE like a scam to me, between GM/Enterprise...suffice to say, Enterprise might not be my first choice, ever again , whether I am in a Volt or not :(

GM/Chevrolet might not be, either.....I mean, customer service.......does it mean anything, to GM?

#6 ·
I think the dealership is trying to avoid paying for the rental. It was covered under warranty and sat at the dealership from the day of the failure. Where they might have some wiggle room is the fact that you went with one of Enterprise's more expensive options.

#7 ·
I asked Enterprise for the least expensive option available..

Because of 'covid' they told me they ONLY had the Camaro..........Gods it sucks......doesn't even begin to steer properly until you have it at 75+.....I can see it might be useful in Europe/Germany, but at < 70, it handled like a drunkn duck.....I couldn't WAIT to get back in the Volt......and I LOVE fast bikes, lol, had most of mine round the Mountain mile and all over Europe, but that Camaro was just a noisy mess !! ( sorry all you Camaro owners!!)

#8 ·
I would think that if there were no specific words that stated that the rental coverage would begin with the completed diagnosis, but, only stated that they would cover rentals based on warranted repairs, that you would be covered from the time you brought the car into the dealer to have the repair made. If it were me, I would fight this with dialogue. If that proved ineffective, I would go to small claims court. Anecdotally, I understand that companies are loathe to send their high-salaried lawyers to small claims court. Settling costs less. Good luck.

#9 ·
Well there are rental excesses. Maybe that's the charge? Without seeing the rental agreement and what was signed it's difficult to provide assistance. You have to be so very careful with rental agreements, application of unnecessary insurance and so on. Carefully review the document for any 'out' that you may have. That is your best weapon. But to be honest, the dealer is not at fault here. It is Enterprise. The arguments have to be made to Enterprise.

#10 ·
Well there are rental excesses. Maybe that's the charge? Without seeing the rental agreement and what was signed it's difficult to provide assistance. You have to be so very careful with rental agreements, application of unnecessary insurance and so on. Carefully review the document for any 'out' that you may have. That is your best weapon. But to be honest, the dealer is not at fault here. It is Enterprise. The arguments have to be made to Enterprise.

I believe that the reason given was that only the period beginning when the diagnosis was made until repair was completed would be covered. The dealer had the car for three days before looking at it, as I understand it. If the coverage is given for warranty repair without the restriction they are now making, I don't see the legitimacy of not covering the rental for the entire time. The beef should be between the insurer and the slow dealer, in my opinion.

#11 ·
Thanks for your input think I am going the small claims route, somewhat reluctantly, against the dealer < but not really....

Since purchasing the Volt...from them ( Burlington) I have had no contact with them whatsoever ( I live on L Island) the very reason I went with Burlington initially was their customer service/deals were hard to beat.....they were the very best Chevrolet dealer...out of a BIG pool ( I ventured to NJ/CT/MA and NY....was treated pretty poorly by ALL other dealers except Burlington)..it ALMOST boggles my mind that my first and hopefully only 'major' incident occurred less than 3 miles from their doorstep!!!

Yes, initially in the heat < Aug, real heat and confusion of my vehicles breakdown I was given those conditions verbally......NO mention of rental cover ONLY starting when the dealer actually physically 'diagnosed' my warranty claim....based on THAT 'rider' I may well have considered other options, and likely wouldn't have even rented a vehicle, rather waited it out for someone to come pick me up......heck a 4 start hotel,motel might well have been cheaper, given covid !!

Reactions: jbakerjonathan
#12 ·
Ok
currently in the process of filing a Small claim in NJ courts, against Burlington Chevrolet, in the amount of $721.30, plus costs, I will let you know how it goes, success or failure ...:):(

Reactions: jbakerjonathan
#13 ·
I wish you much good luck. You are in the right!
IIRC, you will go first to state your case. Bring as much paperwork as possible to present to the judge (receipts for the toll bridge, etc.). Be respectful at all times (but, I didn't need to say that, did I :cool:). If there is any justice in this world, you will prevail.
Another thought: when you get the judgement against Burlington, you may have to hire the local Sheriff to attach Burlington property as payment, if they ignore you and the judgement.

#15 ·
Re: my previous thread,EGR valve/walk home fuse failure on the NJ Turnpike, heading South, 145? miles from home, 2017, Premier, 27K (11K genny) bunch of error codes, engine overheating, etc etc....

As a result of my Volt needing towed to the closest dealer, Burlington Chevrolet....interestingly...and weirdly the VERY same dealer she was purchased from ( even though I live in NY)! I ended up over $700 out of pocket, due to GM/Enterprise rental policy.

Initially was told to hire a qualifying GM vehicle, from Enterprise, by both Burlington Chevrolet and GM/OnStar.....which I did

Burlington Chevrolet then informed me, three days later...at time of vehicle still in workshop...that they would only pay for 2 or 3 of the eventual 6 days rental, GM pretty much useless at this point, despite informing me that they were working hard to give me an answer.....no answer forthcoming more than 5 weeks since the incident

Burlington were fantastic.... with the diagnosis, replacement EGR valve....can't fault them, on that, and initially GM/OnStar were on point with my diagnosis/tow etc...can't fault them on that, BUT, despite following the advice I received, from both Burlington and GM....to the letter, I found myself out of pocket to the tune of $702.39 for their 'qualifying vehicle rental'.......

Rental vehicle was hired on day of breakdown/diagnosis, and returned the very next day I was informed ( 4:45PM) my Volt was ready to be picked up...in other words I did not keep the vehicle a second longer than I needed to!!

So...be warned, if you are tempted to rent/hire a qualifying vehicle via the agreement? between GM/Enterprise, you could STILL find yourself up that proverbial creek

Here's the kicker....I'm NOT mechanically incompetent....managing to service most of my own vehicles, including things such as drive shaft/cv joint replacements , various other ailments, and keeping my fleet of some......50? motorcycles, in my life, to date on the road.....including my current, three 40 year old Yamahas......an EGR valve I could have sourced, brand new, with gasket for around $205.........I am thinking around an hour, max, for a 'first time replacement' of such, plus maybe $2 for the fuse......

You live and learn......
I had the same EGR problem with a 2016 Volt. However, gas engine didn't overheat and seemed to run normally even though the fuse had blown and the check engine light was on. It took the dealer (Keyes Chevrolet in Van Nuys, Ca) over a month to get a replacement EGR. During that time I drove the car, mostly on battery but occasionally using the gas engine with no apparent problem.

#18 ·
This is what kills me.....I KNOW I could have sourced one, at around $205?, I know I could fit one......probably in less than 2 hours.......:(....oh well.....hindsight is a great leveler!!

#22 ·
Hi guys,
I have taken my Chevy Volt 2017 to Europe and now have the same problem with EGR valve. Is there no OEM part available? Do someone know how long the waiting time is for the GM backorder? I have to import everything from the US, as there is no longer c Chevrolet Service in Europe (Camaro only). It happened at arount 40.000 kilometers/25.000miles.
Thank you for any help and idea
Thomas

#24 ·
Hi guys,
I have taken my Chevy Volt 2017 to Europe and now have the same problem with EGR valve. Is there no OEM part available? Do someone know how long the waiting time is for the GM backorder? I have to import everything from the US, as there is no longer c Chevrolet Service in Europe (Camaro only). It happened at arount 40.000 kilometers/25.000miles.
Thank you for any help and idea
Thomas
My post #17 may make food for thought for you.

#23 ·
PS: Is there a technical solution, how to fool the car while waiting for the EGR valve? I get always the fuse blown, when I have to drive with the Range Extender.

#26 ·
Well, Burlington county court have cashed my cheque, now we wait and see.....not holding my breath on this, but minus $700 plus, for a perfectly acceptable and legal warranty claim, leaves a NASTY taste in the mouth, when it comes time to decide.....Ford/Tesla/Hyundai/VW or GM for my next , and future electric vehicles. :( , So sad, as I DO love the Volt, as do most people who drive/ride in her......if only VW/Ford etc had made the Volt, INSTEAD of GM !!!

#27 ·
My decision, in part to buy 'American' was coloured by my love for my adopted Country...yes, its NOT perfect,.... far from it, these days, but despite the usual "Go home, stop being an immigrant freeloader" epitaphs, when one complains in the SLIGHTEST about America, >sic... most of my time here has been amazing...and trust me a LEGAL green card immigrant pays DEARLY to remain here, in ( literally) blood, sweat and tears and dosh $$$$, lol...a fact thats not apparent to most of my " Go home" detractors, but once they realize how much one MUST love America...often more than the people who were born here, in order to remain here, they usually reluctantly agree.......So....I wanted my first, yes first American made vehicle, and after much research, and a LOT of "my gawds, but its a CHEVY,??" lol.......I'm proud I bought American. I'm NOT a flag waving lunatic, by any means, but I DO agree with trying to support American jobs and businesses as much as possible..........We will see, maybe GM/Burlington will step up, at the final hour, my faith will be restored, and my next vehicles may well be both American made, and GM, lol !! Proud to be a (non American, Brit) living in the US of A !!! ;) ( don't get me started on Harleys, ok, not my cuppa tea, by a long shot, I'm more than happy with my 40 year old Yamahas.....although, I DO like that Zero motorcycles SR.........180 miles range, 125MPH, 80 minute charge......almost, almost there......I need a GENUINE 225 mile highway range, 40 minute fast charge, and......125MPH will just about cut it, keep trying Zero, you ALMOST have my money, lol !!!)

#31 ·
Thanks......unfortunately your say so cuts about as much weight as mine, lol, but once again thank you for your support !!!! ;)

#33 ·
Hi, all! I'm hoping someone here might have some brilliant guidance for me. I have the same problem with my 2017 Volt with 25,000 miles on it...EGR valve is problematic, dealership is replacing it, $1000+ repair. (Happened halfway through a 14 hour road trip...I'm in a rental now, car was repaired today, it's 250 miles away). My dilemma...the dealership ran the codes and tells me this repair is only covered under the 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty (which is, of course, expired)...not the 100,000 miles Voltec warranty. I just got off with GM's text support, who came back with the same response. But I see here on the forum that others have had it covered under the 100,000. Not sure what to do next...but I figured if anyone might be able to guide me, it would be the people who have already walked (errrr...driven?) this road!

Any guidance? 🙏🏻

#34 ·
Hi, all! I'm hoping someone here might have some brilliant guidance for me. I have the same problem with my 2017 Volt with 25,000 miles on it...EGR valve is problematic, dealership is replacing it, $1000+ repair. (Happened halfway through a 14 hour road trip...I'm in a rental now, car was repaired today, it's 250 miles away). My dilemma...the dealership ran the codes and tells me this repair is only covered under the 3-year bumper-to-bumper warranty (which is, of course, expired)...not the 100,000 miles Voltec warranty. I just got off with GM's text support, who came back with the same response. But I see here on the forum that others have had it covered under the 100,000. Not sure what to do next...but I figured if anyone might be able to guide me, it would be the people who have already walked (errrr...driven?) this road!

Any guidance? [emoji1317]
No that is wrong. Consult your owners manual, look under warranty. It's explicitly covered under emissions warranty. That is total nonsense and it's completely covered. VOLTEC warranty covers anything electrical and emissions related to the powetrain for 8 years. So tell that dealer no way, you aren't paying for anything.

If all else fails, call your Volt Advisor via the MyChevrolet app and get help. They will clear it up, trust me. Hahaha!

#37 ·
I wouldn't be able to tell you about cleaning it...but, IMO, if you have the ability and skill to remove and clean, I'd go for it! Me, I'm a technological dumfkopf (sp), so it would be wayyy beyond me.

I WILL say, in updating my own situation, that the dealers and all the Volt Advisors through the My Chevy app and on the phone all were unable to find any way to say this was covered. We had to pay out of pocket $1000+. And that appeared to be the end of it...

...until a week ago, when we visited my local Chevy dealer and the service rep we always deal with there. He spent some time with their own warranty specialists and found that the code most dealers would enter for this would NOT lead to it being covered...but that there was also a more hard-to-find, esoteric code that WOULD place the repair under the powertrain warranty. He tells us that we SHOULD have it covered...and has put in the paperwork to get us reimbursed for the cost of the repair. If that does indeed happen, I'll post an update here on the forum as well as give the specifics on what code he needed to use to get this covered. Stay tuned....! :)

#41 ·
Does anyone know if the ERG valve is a third-party unit? In searching for the 4024770 code, it seems the BMW also may use this part, judging from the picture of the part in it’s bulletin.

In any event, it appears that a stuck ERG valve is an event shared among many types of vehicles.

#50 · (Edited)
In any event, it appears that a stuck ERG valve is an event shared among many types of vehicles.
I suspect that all are direct injection motors.

From previous posts there seems to be a big shortage of EGR replacements so I’m wondering if the shortage was caused by a redesign of the part ( all seem to be failing the same way).
The shortage is likely due to how many they are replacing. With the vehicle no longer in production, and the parts required are exceeding their planned supply. Current COVID related production issues for many other parts is likely making it worse.

(A few years ago there was a big shortage of alternators for both the Suzuki SX4 and Fiat 500, due to crappy mounting location+design. We had a 1 year old car, sit in our lot, for 7 weeks waiting for the part, backordered globally. A national parts guy said that dealers all over North America were waiting/fighting for them. He liked me and expedited one meant for a dealer's stock.... and people wonder why make friends with parts suppliers. hehe)

Also, I wonder if these little 1.5L turds need a Seafoam or some other fuel treatment periodically.
Fuel treatment is likely not going to help much.
DI motors build up carbon very quickly because the fuel isn't washing the back of the valves like non-direct injection motors. That cause issues with valves not sealing etc.
It is now official VW and Ford and Subaru and * and * and scheduled service procedure to blast clean the valves. In some cases that requires cylinder head removal, in other cases not. Pretty ugly unusual service that wasn't an issue before DI.
"Hello sir... I see you are in for your cylinder head removal maintenance"

Premium fuel, and periodic intake/valve cleaning via spray should help delay the valve carbon issues.

Who knows... maybe EGR cleaning is going to be a "thing".

Spent 1/2 my day removing, cleaning and reinstalling the EGR, which was pretty coked-up. The cleaning went well, but no dice, it's still burning out the F3 fuse and then overheating.
If the carbon was heavy, I wouldn't be surprised if the electrical portion is damaged. There doesn't need to be a short for a fuse to blow. Just excessive current load.
  • If the valve portion has carbon buildup it would draw extra current.
  • If the electronics portion were damaged due to excess load from carbon buildup.
  • If the electronics portion were damaged due to heat.
Engine bay mounted Dodge power control modules die constantly because of heat. 6.5 diesel PMDs, etc. $800 to get your horn working sound fun ? ugh.

The direct injected engines run really rich when they are cold. If all you do is run it for a mile or two before shutting it off, I can see the carbon building up very quickly.
Yup. All direct injection motors already have bad carbon issues.
As you say, short ICE running durations, especially in winter, makes it even worse for the valves and the EGR.

With DI engines periodic use of Seafoam (or other such) motor treatment is a necessary maintenance task, I believe. Otherwise the buildup of crud around the valves will make the engine stumble eventually.
Yes.

There is a company that has proven test results from their intake and valvetrain cleaner when used for direct injection motors. I can't recall the name. It's definitely not Seafoam.

Exactly the same issue for me a few weeks ago and when reading all the EGR failures they seem to have a common problem, an internal short causing F3 to blow, and thereby causing all the other systems on the same fuse to stop working.
There doesn't need to be a short for a fuse to blow. Just excessive current load.

I would love to get my hands on a failed EGR unit and see what is what. Aftermarket manufacturers would likely love to sell an "improved" version.
At the very least we can send it to BigClive's youtube channel and he can "take it to bits"

This winter, when I get room in the shop, I may just check our EGR for buildup, and to see what possible other issues could be there.

Count yourself lucky... if the EGR is the biggest problem with the 1.5 Voltec, it isn't bad.

Ford, GM, Chrysler, Subaru, VW, and BMW (valvetrain failure leading to ECM failure for example), Audi (Oil ring failure requiring piston replacement at 43 hrs labour) etc etc etc all have issues.
When customers ask what they should buy... I usually tell them.. "an old car in nice shape"
It's really a vehicle and drivetrain specific choice, not a manufacturer one

I wonder who makes the EGR valve ? Maybe the circuit board has some stamping.

Reactions: Molloy