GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 with 42000 miles at dealer for EGR replacement. None available 1 week or 3 months? Outrageous. Well all the good things I like about the car are soon being dismissed! Not sure if when and if it gets repaired I will look at replacing it. Not sure I want to endure this craziness again. In a rental until????? Chevy please step it up?

Registered
I've got about 60,000 miles on my 2017 and my EGR hasn't failed yet. (Of course, I got it used, so it might have failed on the prior owner). Like you, I'm dismayed that GM couldn't get the internal combustion engine correct in the Volt. I really did not expect that to be the weak link since GM has been making internal combustion engines for over 100 years.

Furthermore, it actually takes talent to make an EGR fail after only 10,000 miles or so of engine operation.

BTW, I've been looking for a failed EGR valve to take apart to determine why these things are failing. If you get the failed valve from the dealer, I will give you $25 for it and pay for shipping. I really want to examine one closely and see why they fail.

(My hypothesis is this: The EGR only opens once the ICE gets to operating temperature. The ICE on the Volt is a direct-injection gas engine, which are known for producing a lot of soot on startup. When operating in "normal" mode around town or in ERDTT mode, the internal combustion engine starts and stops a lot but never reaches operating temperature. Therefore, all the soot from the startup cycles hits the closed EGR valve and eventually "glues" it shut. When you finally take the thing on the highway or drive it long enough for the ICE to get up to operating temperature, the computer tries to open the EGR but it's glued shut and the EGR motor blows the "non-walk home" fuse trying to open it.)

BTW, you posted this in the Gen 1 forum.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Danno,

Great information. I will try to recoup it? They are covering it under warranty so I鈥檓 not sure if they will part with it? I will do my best! I did read that they can be pulled apart and cleaned? $ and yes it was on a long ride / trip that it failed! Gen 1 post???? New at this 馃槀 keep in touch. Love this vehicle when its running馃槉

Registered
Do any aftermarket suppliers offer this EGR valve? It seems to be a common GM problem. not specific to the Volt. It's hard to imagine that there is only one supplier worldwide for this part.

Administrator
Do any aftermarket suppliers offer this EGR valve? It seems to be a common GM problem. not specific to the Volt. It's hard to imagine that there is only one supplier worldwide for this part.
Here's a list of EGR manufacturers. Please report back on what you find:

BorgWarner
Delphi Automotive / Delphi Technologies
Faurecia
MAHLE
Tenneco
Nissens
Denso
Valeo
Rheinmetall Automotive
Continental
Korens
Keihin
Longsheng Technology
Eberspacher
Yibin Tianruida
MEET Automotive
Klubert + Schmidt
Zhejiang Jiulong
Gits Manufacturing
Yinlun Machinery

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems as though they are available aftermarket? I was told that they will only use OEM being done by dealer. And covered under warranty! Never know if it鈥檚 a supply chain issue? Or?
Here's a list of EGR manufacturers. Please report back on what you find:

BorgWarner
Delphi Automotive / Delphi Technologies
Faurecia
MAHLE
Tenneco
Nissens
Denso
Valeo
Rheinmetall Automotive
Continental
Korens
Keihin
Longsheng Technology
Eberspacher
Yibin Tianruida
MEET Automotive
Klubert + Schmidt
Zhejiang Jiulong
Gits Manufacturing
Yinlun Machinery
Looks good I can send list to GM馃槀

Administrator
It seems as though they are available aftermarket? I was told that they will only use OEM being done by dealer. And covered under warranty! Never know if it鈥檚 a supply chain issue? Or?

Looks good I can send list to GM馃槀
Right, a dealer won't use a non-GM approved part you supply as part of a warranty repair. You can do whatever you want on your car after warranty expires (or before), but the dealer and GM bear no responsibility at that point and will likely refuse to work on that or related components if brought in for repair, requiring you to remove it first.

If not a supply issue, what's left? They are not purposefully holding out to upset you.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, a dealer won't use a non-GM approved part you supply as part of a warranty repair. You can do whatever you want on your car after warranty expires (or before), but the dealer and GM bear no responsibility at that point and will likely refuse to work on that or related components if brought in for repair, requiring you to remove it first.

If not a supply issue, what's left? They are not purposefully holding out to upset you.
馃憤馃槈

Registered
Well, indeed... I checked around and it seems as though this part number is on general backorder. Some at GM sources, none at Amazon, a few units available on EBay but of dodgy provenance, and no used units listed on Car-Part.com The latter uses Hollander Interchange data so it will populate your request with matching parts from other vehicles, perhaps with different numbers but all functionally identical. So owners are stuck until GM fixes their supply chain. I'd still like to see a definitive writeup on failure modes and potential prevention. In one case a motor shorted out, in another the valve clogged.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Danno,

Great information. I will try to recoup it? They are covering it under warranty so I鈥檓 not sure if they will part with it? I will do my best! I did read that they can be pulled apart and cleaned? $ and yes it was on a long ride / trip that it failed! Gen 1 post???? New at this 馃槀 keep in touch. Love this vehicle when its running馃槉
2017 with 42000 miles at dealer for EGR replacement. None available 1 week or 3 months? Outrageous. Well all the good things I like about the car are soon being dismissed! Not sure if when and if it gets repaired I will look at replacing it. Not sure I want to endure this craziness again. In a rental until????? Chevy please step it up?
Still waiting almost 3 months, absolutely disgusted with this situation! Bad taste in my mouth about GM and 鈥︹ can鈥檛 wait to unload this nightmare

Registered
I submitted a GM case that was escalated at day 64 of the waiting game, after being told "none in any dealer inventory in US" at least 3x, midday on day 65 the dealer calls and says "well what do you know, we found a part at another dealer and your car is done!"

Let the conspiracy theories begin. File a case on your own.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I submitted a GM case that was escalated at day 64 of the waiting game, after being told "none in any dealer inventory in US" at least 3x, midday on day 65 the dealer calls and says "well what do you know, we found a part at another dealer and your car is done!"

Let the conspiracy theories begin. File a case on your own.
Outrageous game that

Outrageous situation! It鈥檚 been 3 months now with my car ? Waiting for part? Hopefully I can move on from this nightmare! Glad to see you are running again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts