GM Volt Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Plant Vehicle Home appliance Automotive design Personal luxury car

2018 CT6 2.0E plug-in with 30K miles. The +50 miles on battery(usually 43-45 miles) is not the norm. This was a result of 41 mph average according to myGM app and no HVAC on. Still on snow tires but at 42 psi. I purchased it with 575 miles in 2020 and only once seen 13.5kw usage.

I'm currently trying to only charge at 8-amps to see if some low levels cells can be brought back up.

·
Administrator
22,489 Posts
has anyone learned the best low speed to travel for maximum miles per battery charge?
Likely in the 25mph to 45 mph range. Speed kills.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
has anyone learned the best low speed to travel for maximum miles per battery charge?
My old notes show that some years ago a forum member, Ari_C, demonstrated the amazing "electric car, round trip on a single charge" potential of the Volt by driving his 2012 Volt for 81.8 ev miles using 9.8 kWh of power (8.3 miles/kWh) and his wife’s Gen 2 Volt for 114.0 ev miles using 14.4 kWh of power (7.9 miles/kWh). He accomplished this by driving at ~25 mph for hours around and around the road circling a professional football stadium parking lot (i.e., relatively level terrain) until the fully charged battery was fully depleted.

Don’t know if anyone else has come close to driving a Gen 2 Volt 114 electric miles on level terrain on a single charge, although I think I recall at least one forum member posting of getting a triple-digit ev range while driving through hills and taking advantage of downhill regen to offset some grid power (the kWh Used is a net estimate of grid power used less regen put back into the battery, and the number on screen will decrease as you drive down a long hill in Electric Mode), and thus adding to the total battery power used to drive the Electric Miles (i.e., display shows 100+ Electric Miles using net 14 kWh = 14 kWh grid power plus X? kWh of downhill regen).

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
31 Posts
We drove around our city the other day just creeping around just being tourist looking around we did 25 mph for most of the cruising for about an hour and a half and actually added miles to our electric range. At that time it was like 50 miles and when we got home it showed 53 miles. So yeah definitely speed and mashing the juice pedals does kill range.

I drive 55 and my dash shows today 63 miles range with AC on, Last winter it got down to 48 miles. Our car sits outside. Our regular commute it 37.1 miles 1 way. Mile for mile per the range indicator it seems to click off correctly from the range guestimator. I plug in when home from work on a level 2 16 amp max amazon charger. In the winter I would preheat plugged in and then be on low eco heat on the trip. The now warm months I roll down the windows pre take off and then run the AC at 70 deg F and on Auto Eco. I have Vent Visors over the windows and no aftermarket window film.

I did make a comment to my wife the other as I wonder if the battery has been replaced.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts